Personal Training / Fitness Counseling thread

HundredProofSam

19 minutes ago, achilles said:

Absolutely recommend creatine HCL but the purpose is added work capacity and better muscular function. 
Also don’t count the scoops, but get bioavailable protein in grams atleast equal to 1.5x body weight in kg. If bw is 80kg, get atleast 120gms of bioavailable protein. Whey is 100% bioavailable. So is egg. Increase to 2x if recovery is still an issue. 

Lastly, ZMA before bed time atleast 2 hours after previous meal or 30 mins before last meal. ZMA is magic. Get from a reputed source and brand. 

If recovery still needs an edge, add fish oil. Though you should be taking fish oil regardless. 

Thanks for the detailed response. Really appreciate your help.

I think the main culprit is lack of enough bioavailable protein. I am not taking 1.5x right now, will look to add more sources of protein in my diet.

I am reading into L-leucine, quite a few papers available showing the efficacy in muscle recovery so I might add a serving of this.

Have been lazy with fish oil, need to start taking it again.

As for creatine and ZMA, going to see how things work out from the above changes and then decide if I need these.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

@KunjanPSD do you use any pre-workout? Ive never used one, never needed it. But in the last 1-2 years I feel too tired after work and tend to keep skipping workouts. Also touching 34 so that might be a factor.

Something that would boost energy would be helpful.

I don't because I mostly do my workouts before I even go to work. Plus, yes, with age it does become a factor.

I have only tried it once, just out of curiosity and it didn't really do anything except a tingling sensation.

But I have seen people around your age really benefiting from pre-workouts, while for some it didn't work at all.

Maybe you can start with black coffee? See how it works, might mess up sleep.

I have read into some literature and sugary drinks also work for some people like soda etc. but might not be everyone's thing.

@achilles Any suggestions?

10 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

I don't because I mostly do my workouts before I even go to work. Plus, yes, with age it does become a factor.

I have only tried it once, just out of curiosity and it didn't really do anything except a tingling sensation.

But I have seen people around your age really benefiting from pre-workouts, while for some it didn't work at all.

I have read into some literature and sugary drinks also work for some people like soda etc. but might not be everyone's thing.

I dont like coffee. Only take green tea:fear1:

11 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

maybe a little dark chocolate and a couple of dates? :fear:

btw most pre-workouts rely on caffeine to give you the boost needed!

If that fails, get a muse in the gym, that'll get you motivated :fear: :fear1:

15 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Pre-workouts are neat for boosting and getting the most out of your workouts, but I wouldn’t advise band-aid use. 
Most pre-workouts today will have forms of beta alanine, citrulline malate, caffeine, and b-vitamins in various permutations and from different sources. The tingling you felt was from beta analine. In a broad sense, they and their derivatives in the body are fatigue fighters, nitric oxide (pump) enhancers and boost focus, endurance, in some cases mood, and stamina. 

The drive needs to originate from you, to get you to the workout. PW’s ensure a decent workout. 

If you’re usually demotivated and tired before a workout, and it has been happening for a while, change the time or protocol, i.e try a different type of workout temporarily, get a new partner or friends, or try an earlier or later time. 

A espresso shot can really help dial you in, but caffeine is not recommended within 6-8 hours of bedtime, though your individual sensitivity to sleep disruption may vary. 

On 2/12/2023 at 4:05 PM, achilles said:

Pre-workouts are neat for boosting and getting the most out of your workouts, but I wouldn’t advise band-aid use. 
Most pre-workouts today will have forms of beta alanine, citrulline malate, caffeine, and b-vitamins in various permutations and from different sources. The tingling you felt was from beta analine. In a broad sense, they and their derivatives in the body are fatigue fighters, nitric oxide (pump) enhancers and boost focus, endurance, in some cases mood, and stamina. 

The drive needs to originate from you, to get you to the workout. PW’s ensure a decent workout. 

If you’re usually demotivated and tired before a workout, and it has been happening for a while, change the time or protocol, i.e try a different type of workout temporarily, get a new partner or friends, or try an earlier or later time. 

A espresso shot can really help dial you in, but caffeine is not recommended within 6-8 hours of bedtime, though your individual sensitivity to sleep disruption may vary. 

Any recommendations for a good pre-workout? One with the least sh*t in it. Was checking out cellucor c4 but not sure

23 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Any recommendations for a good pre-workout? One with the least sh*t in it. Was checking out cellucor c4 but not sure

Have a look at pre-gayor black(with caffeine) & pump gayor black (without caffeine) from Gayor essentials, I don't take pre-workout but a couple of my friends gave great reviews.

https://www.gayoressentials.com/product-category/pre-workout/

1 minute ago, niks_flashbullet said:

Have a look at pre-gayor black(with caffeine) & pump gayor black (without caffeine) from Gayor essentials, I don't take pre-workout but a couple of my friends gave great reviews.

https://www.gayoressentials.com/product-category/pre-workout/

Will check it out, thanks. Name is kinda sus though:fear:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

On a similar note,

Yesterday, a girl in the gym came up to me and asked if I was in the this particular school.
I replied with yes but said I don't remember her.
I turned out to be her 3 years senior.

When I asked but that was 13 years ago and I looked way different then, how did you recognise me ?

she replied by my eyes :0

I appreciate the work here but unfortunately, one can't make such conclusions unless each brand is tested multiple times from multiple samples procured from multiple sources across multiple diagnostic machines.

Still, gives a decent picture about what to avoid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

On gold, dymatize and my protein are mostly getting good results in almost every test. Guess it's best to stick with those. Also holy cow at Big muscles, lmao

Dad is using Origin (vegan). Seems good so far. Decent protein per serving, clean. 

2 hours ago, playstationdude said:

On gold, dymatize and my protein are mostly getting good results in almost every test. Guess it's best to stick with those. Also holy cow at Big muscles, lmao

I am surprised to see Muscle Blaze performing that well. Never expected that from an Indian brand.

Although one thing is missing here, they haven't checked what's the source of the protein i.e. whey vs soy. That's where I think many brands will fall flat.