Personal Training / Fitness Counseling thread

HundredProofSam

Happy New Year Ivgians!

I have been going to the gym for a few weeks now. The trainer is always on his mobile and gives 0 support.

I am just doing basic weights, 5 kgs for each part and am not too confident with what I am doing. 

Can anyone help me out by suggesting a good YouTube channel I can follow to get the basics right and get in shape, while building my core strength? All the main channels(Nippard,Athlean etc) seem to focus on heavy weights and higher end stuff. 

18 minutes ago, Freelancer said:

unless you know the cause of chronic and consistent pain, do not try to correct it yourself, consult an orthopedician and a physiotherapist before following any videos you may have seen online or advise from a layman. being a dotor and a calisthenic athlete, i cannot put more stress on self medication and treatment. 

Yes, sir.

I trust professionals and value their calls.

But going to them leads to lots of frustration,

Also when different people say different things,

And not easy on the pocket (might sound cheap but that's the truth)

In the end I felt self accessing was the best thing, try it, if causing pain skip and move on to something else but keep at it ,i was lucky or it only needed more time to heal but going to the physio for a full year couldn't have been an option.

Edited by GunnerY2J
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Yes, sir.

I trust professionals and value their calls.

But going to them leads to lots of frustration,

Also when different people say different things,

And not easy on the pocket (might sound cheap but that's the truth)

In the end I felt self accessing was the best thing, try it, if causing pain skip and move on to something else but keep at it ,i was lucky or it only needed more time to heal but going to the physio for a full year couldn't have been an option.

a good and experienced physiotherapist can work wonders on back pain.. what i meant was to get a proper diagnosis.. lower back pain can be caused by many things. even pain from kidneys is felt in lower back, leading to confusion of back problems.  i hope you sort out the problem and lift more 

32 minutes ago, kmkaks said:

Happy New Year Ivgians!

I have been going to the gym for a few weeks now. The trainer is always on his mobile and gives 0 support.

I am just doing basic weights, 5 kgs for each part and am not too confident with what I am doing. 

Can anyone help me out by suggesting a good YouTube channel I can follow to get the basics right and get in shape, while building my core strength? All the main channels(Nippard,Athlean etc) seem to focus on heavy weights and higher end stuff. 

you visit SQUATS group on facebook and read the discussions there, you can get lot of information. also, set a goal depending on your body type, understand the workouts and muscles involved (no detailed, but basic info), set a realistic goal and be consistent, even 4 days of regular workout for an hour is enough. (if you into powerlifting then heavy weights, if you want beach body/aesthetics then go for more reps and sets in less weights, for calisthenics use only body weight.) dont worry about supplements like protein or pre workout as a beginner. just focus on increasing strenght and stamina for first few months. keep cardio as a warm up and not too much. 

pm me for any more info, i am always happy helping fellow lifters. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kmkaks said:

Happy New Year Ivgians!

You can follow Athlean x without lifting too heavy.The form he advises is pretty good to avoid injury. Realised this when I got a shoulder injury while bench pressing heavy.

In my own experience, i was in better shape when I was lifting medium weight (around 40 kg bench press, to give you a rough idea). Heavier weights without perfect form will only cause injury.

I guess this is why crossfit and all are the rage worldwide. Injury free excercise with better mobility.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

That's seriously sad, 

How is it now ? 

Only back extension worked for you ?

Can't imagine if the pain also gets to the other parts, would be 10 times harder to get back, but there should definitely be more exercises to follow.

It's okay now. It's more about positioning of your body. Even if I didn't exercise the pain is not there that much but if I ride my bike (Puslar 220) the pain will start after a few minutes also riding a bike starts to give pain more sooner than riding an Activa, again position of your body in these vehicles.

I didn't went for other exercises just followed my doctor instructions so it's okay now but it's not healed and don't know whether it will heal in future.

The pain is like a snake's tail, it you fiddle with it, it will bite you back and if not then everything is okay:D

25 minutes ago, Kirti said:

it's okay now but it's not healed and don't know whether it will heal in future.

The pain is like a snake's tail, it you fiddle with it, it will bite you back and if not then everything is okay:D

Yes, i don't think it heals individually, one can strengthen other parts of the back to make you feel the pain go away.

Back extension is something I should do more but hardly do separately (don't feel good with it)

If I don't exercise for 4 days, it starts again and goes away with exercise (at least you feel that way)

I sometimes suspect if it is related with the sexual system but the therapist said no.

Edited by GunnerY2J

1 minute ago, GunnerY2J said:

Yes, i don't think it heals individually, one can strengthen other parts of the back to make you feel the pain go away.

Back extension is something I should do more but hardly do.

If I don't exercise for 4 days, it starts again and goes away with exercise (at least you feel that way)

I sometimes suspect if it is related with the sexual system but the doctor said no.

Which spine is your's herniated? mine is L4 & L5

Do you apply ice pack, it was very effective for me the moment I applied it and there was relief in pain but before that I was doing the hot one which was not useful.

Doctor had told me that if ignored, this can cause pain in passing stool and urine in future which I had felt when passing stool, I can't express that pain. It's like a sudden wave of pain for a few seconds and you can't even move, horrible.

Also one of the physio in youtube said that don't stretch you spine backwards if your spine in bulging backwards instead do the opposite stretch exercise, link is below.

• Like 1

Not serious I think, never should have done the MRI - only led to frustration.

One reputed physio and ortho had told me to never play football again,

and another Ortho told me it's absolutely nothing, go enjoy and just drink lots of water and eat fruits.

While others said it will get better in time but there's a good bulge for sure and will take time.

6b4b282f66dcc08b6dfbb425ebb8881f.jpg13ee4585f4e2ae41a39f84629c152255.jpg

Edited by GunnerY2J

1 hour ago, GunnerY2J said:

Not serious I think, never should have done the MRI - only led to frustration.

One reputed physio and ortho had told me to never play football again,

and another Ortho told me it's absolutely nothing, go enjoy and just drink lots of water and eat fruits.

While others said it will get better in time but there's a good bulge for sure and will take time.

Chill man no need to frustrate now, even I was on panic mode when I came to know about the bulge and it's natural for everyone to react when you know how serious your injury is.

As time passed I came to normal mode and accepted the fact that I've a bulged disc and have to live with it.

The problem with doctors is that each of them has a different view. One says "X" the other says "Y" so it is this time you have to think yourself that what is best for you as you know your body well, on the top of it these doctors are not ready to listen to you. Even if you try to explain your problem they will say "okay okay":angry:.

Try the Ice pack if you have not done it yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kirti said:

Chill man no need to frustrate now, even I was on panic mode when I came to know about the bulge and it's natural for everyone to react when you know how serious your injury is.

As time passed I came to normal mode and accepted the fact that I've a bulged disc and have to live with it.

The problem with doctors is that each of them has a different view. One says "X" the other says "Y" so it is this time you have to think yourself that what is best for you as you know your body well, on the top of it these doctors are not ready to listen to you. Even if you try to explain your problem they will say "okay okay":angry:.

Same in my case. I sprained my ankle while playing Basketball once, it was a grade 2 sprain. There was lot of swelling at first. One doctor said it will never heal and I should forget about running again, let alone play Basketball or Football. And this guy is said to be one of the reputed orthopedic doctors here. :rolleyes: The other doc said it was nothing and it will get better even if it may take long time. But finally Physiotherapy somewhat helped and some exercises for ankle sprain on YouTube. 

At the end of day it depends on you and your body.

25 minutes ago, Kirti said:

Oh,yes.

I stated how it was back then 

I have started playing football as well now.

19 hours ago, kmkaks said:

Happy New Year Ivgians!

Oooh I've been wanting to join the gym for some time now but I'm always intimidated. A friend of mine who goes to the gym quit after 2 weeks cus supposedly the trainer was really medley and made him do random exercises whenever he wanted to. 

Is it okay to go the gym but not lift weights? I just wanna go get a bit tired and get my heart racing thats it.

45 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Oooh I've been wanting to join the gym for some time now but I'm always intimidated. A friend of mine who goes to the gym quit after 2 weeks cus supposedly the trainer was really medley and made him do random exercises whenever he wanted to. 

Is it okay to go the gym but not lift weights? I just wanna go get a bit tired and get my heart racing thats it.

Every trainer is like that, they won't help you unless you pay them, they are there to make money.

And in the starting everything will seem random.

People don't quit because of the trainer, that's just an excuse. They quit because they don't have the will power or the dedication.

You can always change trainers and gyms, there is no lack of options.

You don't have to start with heavy weights, you won't even be able to. Start with cardio and with 2.5kg weights, or atleast start with cardio.

But do it asap, you will regret in future if you don't.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Every trainer is like that, they won't help you unless you pay them, they are there to make money.

People don't quit because of the trainer, that's just an excuse. They quit because they don't have the will power or the dedication.

You don't have to start with heavy weights, you won't even be able to. Start with cardio and with 2.5kg weights, or atleast start with cardio.

Pay the trainer? Is that not included in the gym fee? Can you join the gym, and not have to bother with a trainer at all? 

That way I could just go and just use the treadmill and the elliptical thingy without someone dictating what I need to do. At least in the beginning.

8 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Pay the trainer? Is that not included in the gym fee? Can you join the gym, and not have to bother with a trainer at all? 

That way I could just go and just use the treadmill and the elliptical thingy without someone dictating what I need to do. At least in the beginning.

What are you even saying ? :P

the trainer is for there you and not you for him.

Just tell him to stay away and do whatever you want, (he will be more than happy to not bother you)

also yes, today gym fees is separate and personal training fees is separate.

in both the cases you can ask the trainer for what to do but in personal training, he ll be specially there for you guiding every exercise.

2 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Gym fee is for using the gym services and having someone who can give BASIC advice and spot you while lifting heavy weights.

They have to spot many people and hence can't help you specifically unless you pay for personal training which can range anywhere from 5-12k a month or even higher depending on your gym. PT does help but only consider taking it if the trainer is good and you are serious about it.

If you don't want any interaction, the floor trainers will be more than happy to let you do your own thing.

But basic advice will help you a lot because people don't even know how to do push-ups properly. I see so many people doing 20 push-ups in the beginning and flexing hard but not being able to do even 5 the way it is supposed to be.

So take the advice when you need it or are unsure and do your own thing otherwise.

Edited by kunjanp

3 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Definitely bro. You can do cardio, basic exercises like pushups/pull ups and totally avoid the trainer, if he acts arrogant But it is always better to go in with a plan/goal which I feel I am missing. 

Doing half an hour hill runs with kilometer targets are so satisfying.

9 hours ago, kunjanp said:

I paid my trainer and he still sits around texting and just counting while I exercise, useless @sshole my trainer is.

Edited by kmkaks