HundredProofSam

Personal Training / Fitness Counseling thread

45 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Oooh I've been wanting to join the gym for some time now but I'm always intimidated. A friend of mine who goes to the gym quit after 2 weeks cus supposedly the trainer was really medley and made him do random exercises whenever he wanted to. 

Is it okay to go the gym but not lift weights? I just wanna go get a bit tired and get my heart racing thats it.

Every trainer is like that, they won't help you unless you pay them, they are there to make money.

And in the starting everything will seem random.

People don't quit because of the trainer, that's just an excuse. They quit because they don't have the will power or the dedication.

You can always change trainers and gyms, there is no lack of options.

You don't have to start with heavy weights, you won't even be able to. Start with cardio and with 2.5kg weights, or atleast start with cardio.

But do it asap, you will regret in future if you don't.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Every trainer is like that, they won't help you unless you pay them, they are there to make money.

People don't quit because of the trainer, that's just an excuse. They quit because they don't have the will power or the dedication.

You don't have to start with heavy weights, you won't even be able to. Start with cardio and with 2.5kg weights, or atleast start with cardio.

Pay the trainer? Is that not included in the gym fee? Can you join the gym, and not have to bother with a trainer at all? 

That way I could just go and just use the treadmill and the elliptical thingy without someone dictating what I need to do. At least in the beginning.

8 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Pay the trainer? Is that not included in the gym fee? Can you join the gym, and not have to bother with a trainer at all? 

That way I could just go and just use the treadmill and the elliptical thingy without someone dictating what I need to do. At least in the beginning.

What are you even saying ? :P

the trainer is for there you and not you for him.

Just tell him to stay away and do whatever you want, (he will be more than happy to not bother you)

also yes, today gym fees is separate and personal training fees is separate.

in both the cases you can ask the trainer for what to do but in personal training, he ll be specially there for you guiding every exercise.

2 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Gym fee is for using the gym services and having someone who can give BASIC advice and spot you while lifting heavy weights.

They have to spot many people and hence can't help you specifically unless you pay for personal training which can range anywhere from 5-12k a month or even higher depending on your gym. PT does help but only consider taking it if the trainer is good and you are serious about it.

If you don't want any interaction, the floor trainers will be more than happy to let you do your own thing.

But basic advice will help you a lot because people don't even know how to do push-ups properly. I see so many people doing 20 push-ups in the beginning and flexing hard but not being able to do even 5 the way it is supposed to be.

So take the advice when you need it or are unsure and do your own thing otherwise.

Edited by kunjanp

3 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Oooh I've been wanting to join the gym for some time now but I'm always intimidated. A friend of mine who goes to the gym quit after 2 weeks cus supposedly the trainer was really medley and made him do random exercises whenever he wanted to. 

Is it okay to go the gym but not lift weights? I just wanna go get a bit tired and get my heart racing thats it.

Definitely bro. You can do cardio, basic exercises like pushups/pull ups and totally avoid the trainer, if he acts arrogant But it is always better to go in with a plan/goal which I feel I am missing. 

Doing half an hour hill runs with kilometer targets are so satisfying.

9 hours ago, kunjanp said:

I paid my trainer and he still sits around texting and just counting while I exercise, useless @sshole my trainer is.

Edited by kmkaks

Well thanks guys. Also how should a gym membership for 1 month cost ideally? We have quite the spectrum in terms of pricing in my area.

I'll give it a shot, just stick to cardio for the first month, hopefully the trainer isnt super pushy (like you guys have said they dont give an F) which is exactly what Im looking for. 

13 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Well thanks guys. Also how should a gym membership for 1 month cost ideally? We have quite the spectrum in terms of pricing in my area.

I'll give it a shot, just stick to cardio for the first month, hopefully the trainer isnt super pushy (like you guys have said they dont give an F) which is exactly what Im looking for. 

About 2k a month should be good value, but it really depends on your needs. For eg the gym I go to is right next to my building, so I don't need shower or locker or change of cloths, and the gym doesn't have those anyway so it costs like 1.5k a months. If you go to the gym with those facilities plus sauna etc, and if they have bunch of machines so you don't have to wait even at peak hours, you might have to shell out 4k or more. They're usually cheaper if you go for 3/6/12 month memberships, but you have to commit for that long. Otherwise its even bigger waste of money.

Here's a little tip to tell the trainers to not bother you without being rude, wear headphone/earbuds, play something loud and completely zone out. Nobody bothers a guy in the gym with headphones and starring into a void while doing reps.

1 hour ago, CarbonCore said:

About 2k a month should be good value, but it really depends on your needs. For eg the gym I go to is right next to my building, so I don't need shower or locker or change of cloths, and the gym doesn't have those anyway so it costs like 1.5k a months. If you go to the gym with those facilities plus sauna etc, and if they have bunch of machines so you don't have to wait even at peak hours, you might have to shell out 4k or more. They're usually cheaper if you go for 3/6/12 month memberships, but you have to commit for that long. Otherwise its even bigger waste of money.

Here's a little tip to tell the trainers to not bother you without being rude, wear headphone/earbuds, play something loud and completely zone out. Nobody bothers a guy in the gym with headphones and starring into a void while doing reps.

Thanks for the tip haha. 

Yeah gyms in my area go from 1.5K to 3K at most I think. I think Im gonna join one where Id have a friend though xD

On 1/1/2020 at 7:41 PM, Kirti said:

My pain used to start from right hip all the way down to legs, with numbness in lower leg and the pain used to go in my right testicle also, it was hell man.

But there are only one or two exercises for slipped disc. The one which I do is Back Extension in which you lie down on your stomach and raise your front body.

Tell me about it.

Bike riding and a accident on it straight destroyed my lower back. Slipped disc twice and finally cause the disc to push right into my nerves. numbness in the legs feet,  L4-L5, S1- S2..life's been hell.

Not a single waking moment that I am not in pain.

5 hours ago, Snake said:

Tell me about it.

Bike riding and a accident on it straight destroyed my lower back. Slipped disc twice and finally cause the disc to push right into my nerves. numbness in the legs feet,  L4-L5, S1- S2..life's been hell.

Not a single waking moment that I am not in pain.

Sad :(, what did your doctor(s) said, following any physiotherapy now?

2 hours ago, Kirti said:

Sad :(, what did your doctor(s) said, following any physiotherapy now?

Docs said the disc need to go back in place before any PT, so I'm currently focusing on losing weight... which is kinda hard when exercising is off the table.

36 minutes ago, Snake said:

so I'm currently focusing on losing weight... which is kinda hard when exercising is off the table.

Possible to make changes to diet? I went from 82 to 68kgs in 6-8 months, this was back in early 2017.No exercising at all...other than 30-45 mins walk in the evening, if that can be counted as exercise. I am facing an eye condition because of which doctors have asked me not to do anything related to weights....but I haven't gained back weight since then.

13 minutes ago, Bauji said:

Possible to make changes to diet? I went from 82 to 68kgs in 6-8 months, this was back in early 2017.No exercising at all...other than 30-45 mins walk in the evening, if that can be counted as exercise. I am facing an eye condition because of which doctors have asked me not to do anything related to weights....but I haven't gained back weight since then.

That's the plan , gotta cut out sugars and other junk

4 hours ago, Snake said:

Docs said the disc need to go back in place before any PT, so I'm currently focusing on losing weight... which is kinda hard when exercising is off the table.

But doesn't disc go back by exercise? or only losing weight helps in this.

And from what I've seen on youtube, the chances of disc getting back in position is very difficult. But have to stay positive, maybe one day :D.

2 hours ago, Playstationdude said:

Which is easier said than done , in my experience :P

1 hour ago, Snake said:

I agree completely

Not that hard if you make your own stuff with sugar substitutes like Erythritol or Stevia. Grab a cheap OTG oven, some almond/coconut flour, eggs, cream cheese and some dark chocolate and you'll be making sweet a*s stuff that you can eat for days with no sugar guilt. I've been on a sugar/carb free diet for over a year and the sweet craving has actually disappeared completely. I just make sugar free cheese cakes and chocolates bars with coconut ganache at home so I don't feel like eating the sugary sh*t they sell in stores.