HundredProofSam

Personal Training / Fitness Counseling thread

31 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Leg raises are mostly for abs, if youre specifically looking to workout your legs then you can go for Squats, lunges, good morning bends (actually stiff leg deadlifts, but good morning bends can be modified to imitate stiff leg deadlifts), calf raises,etc

I'll search em up and do those, thank you. Hope they're fun to do

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

Can anybody recommend exercises which I could do? Now I don't want the work to go away, even though it wasn't really a goal.

(I'm no good at pushups and stuff, but I can do those weird leg raises where you have to twist your legs or whatever) 

PS. They aren't going to seal the society. So we maybe allowed walks and cycling in around a week :) 

Jump rope. I've been doing for about just over a month. Only 30min is enough to kick your a*s big time. When I started out I could barely do more than 100 total and 10 in a row. Now just yesterday I did my first 1k without tripping and 5000 total in about 40 min. It is relatively low impact, will shoot your heart rate through the roof and burns insane amount of calories (1000+ per hr)

28 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Jump rope. I've been doing for about just over a month. Only 30min is enough to kick your a*s big time. When I started out I could barely do more than 100 total and 10 in a row. Now just yesterday I did my first 1k without tripping and 5000 total in about 40 min. It is relatively low impact, will shoot your heart rate through the roof and burns insane amount of calories (1000+ per hr)

Bro tip: Sometimes I superset jump rope sets with Burpees. Ultimate fun. :batman:

2 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

I don't go to the gym or anything (I mean, before the virus took over), but over the past few months I developed a routine of cycling for an hour or so daily. 

Twice a day (two hours) in the colder months, had to cut it to one hour every night because of the heat.

I initially did it only because I really enjoy cycling, fitness not being much of a concern. But this, combined with eating moderately healthy for 2 months has shown some results I guess.

Idk about weight, but Im pretty sure I'm slimmer with regard to how I fit in my clothes. People around me have also said so.

Furthermore, I wasn't exactly fat but I didn't have any muscle either. Cycling didn't do much in the weight department maybe, but I see decent muscle definition around my legs.

It's not insane, but compared to earlier, there are definitely lines and bulges going around. 

I can't even cycle within my society now because one of my friends has got the virus, and nobody can leave.

Can anybody recommend exercises which I could do? Now I don't want the work to go away, even though it wasn't really a goal.

(I'm no good at pushups and stuff, but I can do those weird leg raises where you have to twist your legs or whatever) 

PS. They aren't going to seal the society. So we maybe allowed walks and cycling in around a week :) 

Check out anabolic aliens 30 day leg program on YouTube.

Perfect for a beginner and slowly he keeps raising the bar and in 30 days you ll reach a high level and the last 3 days always are tough to do.

Edit : here - 

Edited by GunnerY2J

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Jump Ropes seems a lot of fun, I'm not much worried how effective it is as a workout.

I've seen a few of my friends do the criss-cross things with jump ropes and always looks cool :) 

Idk if I have one lying around, but I've never done em before, hopefully its not too difficult getting started. 

I'm a clumsy f**k lol

If you have a straight stretch of 5-7 metres or more in your home or building terrace, you can do brisk walking, jogging or running. A woman in Britain recently ran a whole marathon in her backyard and it was not more than 5-6 metres long. 

Skipping is not that hard to learn. Do single jumps with the rope to get your jump timing right. You only need to twist your wrists and make tiny jumps (3-5 cm). Start with a very slow pace (50-60 jumps per minute) and only concentrate on rhythm first. Then build up to 100/min within a day. With practice and improved stamina you can do close to 200 jumps per minute. 

Other then that you can do many body weight exercises at home like pushups and squats. 

16 minutes ago, Banz said:

If you have a straight stretch of 5-7 metres or more in your home or building terrace, you can do brisk walking, jogging or running. A woman in Britain recently ran a whole marathon in her backyard and it was not more than 5-6 metres long. 

Skipping is not that hard to learn. Do single jumps with the rope to get your jump timing right. You only need to twist your wrists and make tiny jumps (3-5 cm). Start with a very slow pace (50-60 jumps per minute) and only concentrate on rhythm first. Then build up to 100/min within a day. With practice and improved stamina you can do close to 200 jumps per minute. 

Other then that you can do many body weight exercises at home like pushups and squats. 

I'll follow that, skipping looks fun too.

I'm no good at pushups, and its no fun either

PS- There are people still walking outside, despite the covid case. 

So there's a good chance I can still continue to cycle like usual. 

14 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Rising from 10 a set to 1000 a set in a month is damn good.

I had my brother rope lying around from 10 years ago, tried today after regular exercises and could do : 30,20 and 81 rope swings.

Each swing I do two jumps instead of one : is this a problem ? Rhythm doesn't match with one jump per swing and can't swing the rope fast enough.

Two jumps has same effective ?

Edited by GunnerY2J

49 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Rising from 10 a set to 1000 a set in a month is damn good.

I had my brother rope lying around from 10 years ago, tried today after regular exercises and could do : 30,20 and 81 rope swings.

Each swing I do two jumps instead of one : is this a problem ? Rhythm doesn't match with one jump per swing and can't swing the rope fast enough.

Two jumps has same effective ?

No you should always do one jump per swing no matter how slow your swing. Your speed and tempo will eventually increase to 150-200 swings per min and 2 jumps per swing will be impossible to maintain. Believe it or not the limiting factor is not your legs but your arms, they get tired way earlier than your calves. So when you build up more strength and endurance in your forearms, your legs will have to keep up and they can't do 2 jumps per swing.

Lots of videos about it on youtube, for eg..

2 hours ago, playstationdude said:

Sometimes I just do jump ropes without the actual rope :P

Almost the same benefit since I'm used to the rhythm but more convenient when I'm supersetting with Burpees as arms don't tire.

I don't think I have a rope around. 

Might as well do it without the rope xD

3 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

No you should always do one jump per swing no matter how slow your swing. Your speed and tempo will eventually increase to 150-200 swings per min and 2 jumps per swing will be impossible to maintain. Believe it or not the limiting factor is not your legs but your arms, they get tired way earlier than your calves. So when you build up more strength and endurance in your forearms, your legs will have to keep up and they can't do 2 jumps per swing.

Lots of videos about it on youtube, for eg..

Oh, I can't even do 10 with one jump per swing and have to jump awkwardly higher for one jump per swing, 

And stopping slightly for the rope to come disturbs the flow and i get caught.

The comfortable rhythm is small two jumps per swing, would see what is the speed per minute tomorrow.

Don't know if can switch, will try if not would wait till I improve the swing speed.

More reps with poor technique is worse than less reps :(

Speed is around 90 per minute but can't do more than 30 with one jump per swing.

And this metal ring hurts the toes so I stuck it at one end.

Or should I do with shoes on ?

What is the purpose of the ring in the middle ? Friction ?

@CarbonCore

Also, the bearings are rusted if it matters a lot ?

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

d75227393b3436a11b6c48b4949cafc1.jpg

Edited by GunnerY2J

The spring saves the part of the rope that hits the ground from wear and tear, plus it adds some weight and keeps it from kinking in the middle. You can remove it if you want but then the bare rope will hit the ground. You can add some oil to the bearing, as long as they're freely rotating it doesn't matter if rusted or not.

Also definitely wear shoes with soft cushioning and avoid jumping on hard surface, because when the rope hits your pinky it hurts like hell lol. 

• Thanks 1

Started doing push ups everyday in the bathroom just before hitting the shower from 7-9 days, even if I do nothing else thought should at least do this.

Managed 105 today in 3 sets - 40,35,30.

(3 minute gap and 2 minutes gap after the first and second set respectively - yes, very high gap)

But being thin and always having a relatively very weak upper body, crossing 100 was a good target.

22 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Started doing push ups everyday in the bathroom just before hitting the shower from 7-9 days, even if I do nothing else thought should at least do this.

Managed 105 today in 3 sets - 40,35,30.

(3 minute gap and 2 minutes gap after the first and second set respectively - yes, very high gap)

But being thin and always having a relatively very weak upper body, crossing 100 was a good target.

No actually the gap isnt too high as the number of pushups is decent.

For upto 25 pushups 1 min is sufficient.

124 push-ups today in 3 sets : 43, 47 (highest ever) and 34

8 minute and 4 minute gaps respectively.

Done after a week as neck had been bothering after overdoing some form of crunches - wrongly tried to come up with a jerk from the neck.

Any neck strengthening exercises as well to incorporate ?

Is this healthy to do ? Seems a rather sensitive part to work.

Edited by GunnerY2J