HundredProofSam

Personal Training / Fitness Counseling thread

2 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

This maybe a hot take but, does anyone else find most branded running shoes as not being much helpful? I have tried Nike Zoom, Air and Pegasus only Pegasus was comfortable and felt good for running.  Same for Adidas with Ultraboost, Cloudfoam etc, they are extremely soft but dont feel as good for running laps.

Depends on what you're using them for. Ultra cushioned shoes are not good for running as they provide too much cushioning.

2 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

This maybe a hot take but, does anyone else find most branded running shoes as not being much helpful? I have tried Nike Zoom, Air and Pegasus only Pegasus was comfortable and felt good for running.  Same for Adidas with Ultraboost, Cloudfoam etc, they are extremely soft but dont feel as good for running laps.

Being a sneakerhead and having tried almost everything on the market, I can say that they do make a lot of difference.

But you have to understand the nuances of each shoe and what's it really made for.

Trying to keep it as brevise as I can, Pegasus is a running focused shoe in a sense that it provides a lot of feedback, you can feel the track and adapt to it quickly, dynamic force distribution through the feet, basically what a running shoe should do but you won't really prefer these for walking because of that feedback, that's where Ultraboost come in.

They try to eliminate as much of the feedback to reduce heel pain. Like you can walk for miles and still feel light in the legs.

You can jog in these but because of the lack of feedback, they might feel unresponsive.

So it's about finding the right fit. You can really give Asics a go for running otherwise Pegasus are good too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Strange. I always felt those memory foam based soles would be a relief while running. On the other hand, they are useless for heavy lifting, especially deadlift and Squats.

It's quite simple. For deadlifts and Squats applying force through your legs (feets) into the ground is the main thing. Hence, you want to cut out anything which will absorb that force or the normal reaction (feedback).

That's why shoes like Nike Metcon's/ Rebook's Nano feature no soft cushioning, it's hard so the force is directly transferred to the ground.

4 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

It's quite simple. For deadlifts and Squats applying force through your legs (feets) into the ground is the main thing. Hence, you want to cut out anything which will absorb that force or the normal reaction (feedback).

That's why shoes like Nike Metcon's/ Rebook's Nano feature no soft cushioning, it's hard so the force is directly transferred to the ground.

Yeah I'm aware of that for lifting. But I felt it to be strange that the cushioned shoes would not be useful for running.

1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

Yeah I'm aware of that for lifting. But I felt it to be strange that the cushioned shoes would not be useful for running.

YMMV. Even in cushioned shoes there's an energy loss in the pillow-like shoes and most professional runners avoid that for Marathon etc, for casual running they are pretty good. I'm a big big fan of wel-cushioned shoes personally.

2 hours ago, kunjanp said:

Being a sneakerhead and having tried almost everything on the market, I can say that they do make a lot of difference.

But you have to understand the nuances of each shoe and what's it really made for.

Trying to keep it as brevise as I can, Pegasus is a running focused shoe in a sense that it provides a lot of feedback, you can feel the track and adapt to it quickly, dynamic force distribution through the feet, basically what a running shoe should do but you won't really prefer these for walking because of that feedback, that's where Ultraboost come in.

They try to eliminate as much of the feedback to reduce heel pain. Like you can walk for miles and still feel light in the legs.

You can jog in these but because of the lack of feedback, they might feel unresponsive.

So it's about finding the right fit. You can really give Asics a go for running otherwise Pegasus are good too.

I usually alternate between Zoom Winflo 4 and Zoom Span 2 most of the days. Winflo has the soft cushioning which I don't like but Zoom Span 2 feels balanced.

Which ASICS shoes should I look for? I have the Gel Kayano or Gel Nimbus ones but I don't like em much.

1 hour ago, cyberpunk said:

I usually alternate between Zoom Winflo 4 and Zoom Span 2 most of the days. Winflo has the soft cushioning which I don't like but Zoom Span 2 feels balanced.

Which ASICS shoes should I look for? I have the Gel Kayano or Gel Nimbus ones but I don't like em much.

For marathons/long run try Asics Glideride.

For everyday running Asics Nimbus 22.

For speedwork Asics DS Trainer 25.

Cumulus 25 has more cushioning so that's a personal preference.

26 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

Some pics from the weekend 75K ride, was a mix of Climbs, OffRoading, Bad (first) Crash and this Awesome viewpoint..

Overlooking Bannerghatta National Park, Entry is via a gated community close to Nisarga layout..

Splendid view.

Good thing you're wearing a helmet haha. When you say bad crash, I hope it isnt too bad...

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

Splendid view.

Good thing you're wearing a helmet haha. When you say bad crash, I hope it isnt too bad...

Luckily the Helmet saved the day and that's why its so important to wear a helmet regardless of short or long ride, would have had a bad head injury without it. Fell on my left thigh so just some bruises and soreness, already feeling better..

3 hours ago, Assassins Creed said:

Luckily the Helmet saved the day and that's why its so important to wear a helmet regardless of short or long ride, would have had a bad head injury without it. Fell on my left thigh so just some bruises and soreness, already feeling better..

Yes. I have a bad habit when it comes to that.

Last time I fell, almost split my phone in half. Still have it, its a 90 degree bend 

That was a bad fall. Safety first :) 

On 7/5/2020 at 7:29 PM, Assassins Creed said:

Some pics from the weekend 75K ride, was a mix of Climbs, OffRoading, Bad (first) Crash and this Awesome viewpoint..

Overlooking Bannerghatta National Park, Entry is via a gated community close to Nisarga layout..

b405711a445293c252278600807b99dc.jpg

27315f16aa950108421538b802af8477.jpg

7dedacb2d68cc8e976deb38be8feda93.jpg

d347a15cadbe94d31e7c67763f1076d1.jpg

Which model of giant is this and cost ?

How's escape 3 ?

8 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Which model of giant is this and cost ?

How's escape 3 ?

This is Revel 1, 2016 model.. Paid close to 46K when I bought in 2016.. Not sure of the escape, Are you looking for MTB or Hybrid? I suggest buy a used one from CYCLOP Facebook group.. some good deals keep popping there...

15 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

This is Revel 1, 2016 model.. Paid close to 46K when I bought in 2016.. Not sure of the escape, Are you looking for MTB or Hybrid? I suggest buy a used one from CYCLOP Facebook group.. some good deals keep popping there...

Hybrid only.

Wanna do 150 plus kms right away, so MTB definitely not.

23 k was the budget but one suggested montra blues won't be worth it for such and also not available.

Not sure about used.

Edited by GunnerY2J

35 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Hybrid only.

Wanna do 150 plus kms right away, so MTB definitely not.

23 k was the budget but one suggested montra blues won't be worth it for such and also not available.

Not sure about used.

Don’t go for Montra, 23K is a good budget for a used one.. Let me see if I find anything, will send you but keep a look on that group..

13 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

Don’t go for Montra, 23K is a good budget for a used one.. Let me see if I find anything, will send you but keep a look on that group..

I have submitted a request but new is a priority.

It will actually be the first cycle bought for myself,

Have been cycling in my brother's 23 year old hero ranger and 12 year old hero hawk.

So would prefer new.

Edited by GunnerY2J

Cool. As you are looking to buy a long term endurance bike good to invest in a good one.. when I say used it won’t be bad.. minimal used of course.. I picked up a road bike last year.. MRP was 75K but I paid 40K and it has less than 1000 kms on it so as good as new... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

Cool. As you are looking to buy a long term endurance bike good to invest in a good one.. when I say used it won’t be bad.. minimal used of course.. I picked up a road bike last year.. MRP was 75K but I paid 40K and it has less than 1000 kms on it so as good as new... 

Wow, that's a solid deal.

Btw, these expensive bikes have a km reading as well ?

Why not montra though ? 

In the starting entry range isn't it the best option ? 

Giant escape 3 is 30000.

Edited by GunnerY2J