Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice

Heaven Angel

3 hours ago, Playstationdude said:

Whats DR4? 

I've exhausted the gamepass now but yeah, its an excellent deal even at 329 per month. I really wouldn't mind subscribing again to complete Gears 4 and Wolfenstein 2. 

Dead rising 4

• 2 weeks later...

And finished. Good game which does justice to its subject matter. Senua was a unique protagonist. She was scared, depressed, vulnerable and the game makes you feel for her seeing the suffering she is going through. Game had great art too, would have loved an artbook(Norse mythology is fu**ed up). All the boss fights were great.

Good head phones is a must for this game as the sound design deserves a special mention. There was one level for example where I had to go through a maze, pursuing Dillion's voice and with all these different voices in Senua's head, I felt like I'm losing my sanity. This is walking sim done right!!

Gameplay which basically consists of finding a symbol in the environment became repetitive very quickly, same was the case with the combat as the move set remains the same throughout the campaign and the game does not introduce many new enemies. Story also dragged a bit towards the end making the final few hours a chore to play. Most of these flaws however can be associated to the low budget and I am interested to see what the studio will do next(if allowed to develop a SP focused game) with MS money. 7/10

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Was waiting to play this game since ages.  Thanks to the Xbox game pass I am now. 

Halfway through the game and wow the sound design & creepy environment are so well done. And love the interesting Norse mythology facts that you keep listening to every now and then. Though there is very less combat it's tough compared to other hack n slash games. Overall it's a really good game. 

Finished the game. Such a good plot and a very effective way of portraying this mental illness. The hellblade feature documentary is brilliant and explains so much more about the game and the illness. I highly recommend to those who have completed the game to watch the documentary. 

Oh ps: Do not play the game without headphones.  The 3d audio is so well done here. 

• Like 1

After prolonging forever, Finally picked this up today on the PS4 Pro, initially started on Xbox a year back but I always wanted to play this on PS, last August it was about 850 bucks on PSN India and purchased it then and never played..

Played quite a bit today with 2 bosses nailed and entered Helheim, combat getting more tighter now with new enemies though it’s linear.. the beauty of the game is it didn’t give any clue whatsoever on combat or buttons like Parry and using focus pretty much I learnt during boss fights..  The GFX is absolutely breathtaking.. I like games like this kept it simple, no maps, no XP and upgrade crap... As mentioned by peeps above, Headphones is absolutely must to get the real feeling, that’s another reason I wanted to play on PS with those surround headphones..

• Like 1

Yup the combat gets tougher and the number of enemies that spawn also increase every fight. The puzzles in the hellheim section though are  easier compared to the sea shore section but are a bit stressful as some involve doing it in the dark.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:44 AM, Assassins Creed said:

After prolonging forever, Finally picked this up today on the PS4 Pro, initially started on Xbox a year back but I always wanted to play this on PS, last August it was about 850 bucks on PSN India and purchased it then and never played..

Played quite a bit today with 2 bosses nailed and entered Helheim, combat getting more tighter now with new enemies though it’s linear.. the beauty of the game is it didn’t give any clue whatsoever on combat or buttons like Parry and using focus pretty much I learnt during boss fights..  The GFX is absolutely breathtaking.. I like games like this kept it simple, no maps, no XP and upgrade crap... As mentioned by peeps above, Headphones is absolutely must to get the real feeling, that’s another reason I wanted to play on PS with those surround headphones..

Edited by kold_war

• 8 months later...

More than the puzzles or the combat, I thought the game's narrative, its depiction of mental illness, and its strong central performance stood out the most. It's definitely one of the most memorable games I've played, with one particular sequence pretty much etched into my brain.

I'd recommend playing the game with headphones (as does the game itself IIRC). The experience isn't quite the same without them.

I may be in minority but I think this game was average at best. Combat had only few tricks albeit fun admittedly, exploration (and its reward) was almost non existent, and its usually just slow walking with some decent visuals. Puzzles were decent too but still as a package a very overhyped game.

I'll be honest I thought this game was like a walking sim. Had no idea it had combat.

7 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

More than the puzzles or the combat, I thought the game's narrative, its depiction of mental illness, and its strong central performance stood out the most. It's definitely one of the most memorable games I've played, with one particular sequence pretty much etched into my brain.

I'd recommend playing the game with headphones (as does the game itself IIRC). The experience isn't quite the same without them.

Yes I'm playing with headphones

22 hours ago, dante77 said:

I may be in minority but I think this game was average at best. Combat had only few tricks albeit fun admittedly, exploration (and its reward) was almost non existent, and its usually just slow walking with some decent visuals. Puzzles were decent too but still as a package a very overhyped game.

I didn't like the game at all, the performance on my laptop was sh*t so that was one factor but even keeping that aside I just didn't like it at all. Maybe I'll give it another go on xbox, but not expecting much.

• Like 1

Rightly? The 'walking sim" term is just silly. I get that slower-paced, story-heavy experiences aren't for some people, but I for one have no problem playing a Journey, Firewatch, Death Stranding, or Edith Finch. This is just as good for the right audience.

Rightly? The 'walking sim" term is just silly. I get that slower-paced, story-heavy experiences aren't for some people, but I for one have no problem playing a Journey, Firewatch, Death Stranding, or Edith Finch. This is just as good for the right audience.
Of course that was an exaggeration haha

I had mixed feelings about the game in the first few hours but now I'm really getting into it. I think I'm half way through. 

I love how the game uses voices. The way it's used in place of on-screen prompts, the way they come from different angles through the headphones, the way they start screaming at you in tense situations. Skin-crawling stuff sometimes.