PC Hardware Thread

ALPHA17

12 hours ago, SRINI87 said:

Ethereum Switches to Proof of Stake, GPU Mining is Dead

NVIDIA Ada and AMD RDNA3 will not sell to Ethereum miners. In a dramatic move, the creators of Ethereum have switched over the popular crypto-currency's algorithm from proof-of-work, to proof-of-stake, which means miners will no longer spend GPU resources in competing to find the same blocks. This effectively ends GPU-accelerated mining as Ethereum mining was the number-1 consumer of high-end GPUs through 2021. The switch-over happened as the total terminal difficulty surpassed 58,750,000,000T, with the last block having been found. With this move, global electricity consumption is expected to reduce by 0.2% (that's enough to power the world's top 5 cities).

The impact of this move on GPU sales to crypto-currency miners is expected to be profound. GPUs are no longer an economical way to mine Bitcoin, ASICs are; and Ethereum mining constituted the bulk of activity from GPU-accelerated mining farms. This doesn't mean there aren't other crypto-currencies that rely on GPU-accelerated proof-of-work blockchain compute; but Ethereum had the highest market-cap among such currencies. Gamers have reason to rejoice, as NVIDIA and AMD now have to sell high-end GPUs squarely on merits of gaming performance, power-draw, and graphics card pricing.

https://www.techpowerup.com/298894/ethereum-switches-to-proof-of-stake-gpu-mining-is-dead

:dance:

EVGA ceases video card production, no more EVGA GeForce GPUs

EVGA has invited members of the tech press to a closed meeting to announce the discontinuation of their graphics card manufacturing. The company has confirmed it will not launch GeForce RTX 40 series as well as future series.

EVGA will not be making cards from competitors either, such as AMD or Intel. The company has completely ceased making video cards moving forward. This decision will stand as long as EVGA has the same CEO, reports the media.

The main reason for this decision was a souring relationship with NVIDIA. The company said to Gamers Nexus ‘it’s about respect’.  It was a principal decision to break ties with NVIDIA, not a financial one.

EVGA has terminated its relationship with NVIDIA. EVGA will no longer be manufacturing video cards of any type, citing a souring relationship with NVIDIA as the cause (among other reasons that were minimized). EVGA will not be exploring relationships with AMD or Intel at this time, and the company will be downsizing imminently as it exits the video card market. Customers will still be covered by EVGA policies, but EVGA will no longer make RTX or other video cards. The company already made ~20 EVT samples of EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 cards, but will not be moving to production and has killed all active projects pertaining to cards — including KINGPIN cards.

— Andrew Han, CEO of EVGA

https://videocardz.com/newz/evga-ceases-video-card-production-no-more-evga-geforce-gpus

Damn  :samui:

• Sad 2

On 9/15/2022 at 7:45 PM, SRINI87 said:

Ethereum Switches to Proof of Stake, GPU Mining is Dead

NVIDIA Ada and AMD RDNA3 will not sell to Ethereum miners. In a dramatic move, the creators of Ethereum have switched over the popular crypto-currency's algorithm from proof-of-work, to proof-of-stake, which means miners will no longer spend GPU resources in competing to find the same blocks. This effectively ends GPU-accelerated mining as Ethereum mining was the number-1 consumer of high-end GPUs through 2021. The switch-over happened as the total terminal difficulty surpassed 58,750,000,000T, with the last block having been found. With this move, global electricity consumption is expected to reduce by 0.2% (that's enough to power the world's top 5 cities).

The impact of this move on GPU sales to crypto-currency miners is expected to be profound. GPUs are no longer an economical way to mine Bitcoin, ASICs are; and Ethereum mining constituted the bulk of activity from GPU-accelerated mining farms. This doesn't mean there aren't other crypto-currencies that rely on GPU-accelerated proof-of-work blockchain compute; but Ethereum had the highest market-cap among such currencies. Gamers have reason to rejoice, as NVIDIA and AMD now have to sell high-end GPUs squarely on merits of gaming performance, power-draw, and graphics card pricing.

https://www.techpowerup.com/298894/ethereum-switches-to-proof-of-stake-gpu-mining-is-dead

:dance:

That's good news but we might see price bump on 4xxx series.

Guess it's time to upgrade! 

14 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

please be cheap :cry:

Might be cheaper than 30 series Crypto inflated prices. But looking at the power draw, it's going to cost you quite a bit if you choose to upgrade esp if you don't have a 1000W PSU and a case with good active cooling. 

18 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

Might be cheaper than 30 series Crypto inflated prices. But looking at the power draw, it's going to cost you quite a bit if you choose to upgrade esp if you don't have a 1000W PSU and a case with good active cooling. 

Even for the rtx 4060 ti or whatever? I understand for the high-end cards but even normal ones need 1000w PSU?

7 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Even for the rtx 4060 ti or whatever? I understand for the high-end cards but even normal ones need 1000w PSU?

Normally i think 800W  would be enough for Highend cards like  4090

Problem is sudden spikes consumption which cause the shutdown.

Nvidia is blaming PSU makers and PSU makers is blaming Nvidia :lol:

Edited by SRINI87

9 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Too early to say for sure, but all things are pointing to a massive power draw increase. 1000W for 4080 or higher, and I guess at least a 750W for 4060 or equivalent if the performance of 4060 should match that of the 3080. 

3 minutes ago, SRINI87 said:

Normally i think 800W  would be enough for Highend cards like  4090

Problem is sudden spikes consumption which cause the shutdown.

Nvidia is blaming PSU makers and PSU makers is blaming Nvidia :lol:

I got an 850W PSU when I upgraded to a 3080 just cos I didn't want to risk it. When you are already shelling 60-80k on a gfx card, cheaping out on the power supply is the last thing you wanna do. Going for a good power rating (gold / platinum) ensures that these spikes better can be handled better with good efficiency.