[GUIDE] How to setup digital game sharing on Xbox One securely with another friend/family

TropicalRajput

BONUS - Thanks to Django_3101 for finding this. Below link shows you the Xbox One digital store prices for few countries likes India, Hong Kong, USA etc that you can use to find out which store to digitally buy the game from at cheapest price. The games/price list in the link below is updated when a new Xbox One title is ready to be pre-ordered and pre-loaded which is usually a generous 2+ weeks in advance before the actual release date. I used Hilton hotel address, phone number and post code to register my NZ credit card with Hong Kong, India, USA & NZ Xbox Live digital store. Microsoft itself does not blocks an overseas credit card on a regional Xbox digital store. Banks do though so just pray that your bank does not. In most cases, you can even ring up the bank and ask them to let the payment go through and a lot of them do comply.

http://www.digitalgamesprices.com/xboxone.php

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/xb1storeprices

What is Microsoft's policy on digital game sharing?

This only works with digital games. Below is Microsoft's official statement on supporting digital game sharing. If you have multiple Xbox One's in your house or visit a friends/family members house frequently that also has an Xbox One, only one user needs to purchase a digital copy of the game and the second user on their console can access that game without paying for it. Both user's can play the game simultaneously as well or at separate times. It is perfect if you have flatmate where both own an Xbox One console, you have a family member or friend that you visit often in their house that also has an Xbox One. DLC is also shared.

This setup guide ensures that your family/friend/flatmate cannot access your credit card information, subscription information and purchase any games or DLC under your MS account/Gamertag on their Xbox One console without entering a 6 digit passkey that only you know. More below.

When you designate a specific Xbox One as your home console, people can play your downloaded games without having to sign in.

If you have multiple Xbox One consoles, or you regularly use consoles belonging to friends or family, you’ll most likely want to designate the most frequently used console as the home Xbox.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/my-home-xbox

Below is Major Nelson's blessing and write up about Xbox One game sharing.

Everyone in your home can share digital games with each other. Your Xbox One can become your virtual game library filled with digital games that different people in the home bought. Anyone can pick any digital game on your Xbox One, sign in with their own gamertag and play – even if the owner is not signed in. Like physical media, you can also play many digitally downloaded games without being online, although experiences will be best when connected to the internet and Xbox Live. Finally, when you purchase a digital game, you can start playing even before the entire game downloads.

Because your digital games go with you, you can also use and share digital games when you sign in to another console. And, if you happen to buy a digital game when you are signed in on your friend’s console, your game will also be available on your Home Xbox One console for anyone to use.

Sharing digital games is a great feature of Xbox One, and we’re also making it possible for Xbox Live Gold members to share some of the best benefits of Gold.

http://majornelson.com/2013/08/09/xbox-one-sharing-digital-games-and-gold/

How to set it up?

To setup sharing with a friend, you both need to have your console in front of each other once only so you can enter your Microsoft account/Xbox login information on their console and they can enter theirs on your console. I recommend using the SmartGlass app on Windows 8, Windows Phone, iOS or Android device to enter the login information on each other's console if both of you are are standing next to each other so that the other person cannot see their friend typing the password for their MS account/gamertag via SmartGlass keyboard else if you trust each other then you can use the Xbox's on screen keyboard on TV.

1. Follow the instructions below to add each others account on your Xbox One's. Make sure to 'Save passwords' when prompted for automatic sign-in etc.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/manage-gamertag-and-profile/sign-in-to-another-console

2. Once you have added each others account on your consoles then sign-in to your console with other person's account that should already be on the console by now. Go to 'settings' app to designate that console (your Xbox One) as your friends 'Home Console' by following the instructions below. Make sure your friend's account is signed in while they designate your Xbox One as their Home Console. You can only designate a Home console 3 times a year so choose a friend/family member that's not going to back out of this every month.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/my-home-xbox

3. Once you have completed step 2, go to the 'settings' app again on your own Xbox One while again your friend's MS account/gamertag is still signed in, then go to 'Sign-in, security & passkey' and set the 'Instant sign-in' to your own 'gamertag/MS account' rather than leaving it blank or your friends MS account/gamertag.

4. To setup security around your MS account/gamertag on your friends Xbox One so they cannot look at your credit card, paypal subscription information or buy digital games or DLC using your MS account/gamertag on their console or their kids by accident, go to the 'settings' app while you are signed in on your friends Xbox One and then go to 'Sign-in, security & passkey', then go to 'Change my sign-in & security preferences'. Then scroll to the far right and select 'customize' and set the following options listed below.

'Save your password' - Saved

'Use Kinect sign-in' - Using Kinect sign-in (If you have no Kinect then still set this option if visible else don't worry if you cannot see this)

'Delay Kinect sign-in' - Don't ask, just sign me in ((If you have no Kinect then still set this option if visible else don't worry if you cannot see this)

For the below 2 settings, you will be asked to create a 6 digit passkey when you set the first setting below and you will be asked to enter same passkey again for last setting below. NEVER forget this passkey because this passkey is universal to all Xbox One's you will ever try and set the same settings above and below to. I recommend using your credit card or debit card's pin number (4 digits) and add two 0 at end. for e.g if your pin number is 1234 make the passkey 123400. You will not forget this.

'Ask for my passkey at sign-in' - Passkey required

'Ask for my passkey to make purchases' - Passkey required
Done :-)
Restart the console and you/your own MS account/gamertag that owns the actual Xbox One should sign-in. You can then try and go to the games store and try and buy a digital game that your friends owns but you do not and you should only see the 'install' option and never get prompted for any payment type.

You can also browse through your friends games list that you might not have purchased by going to the 'My games & apps' application while you are still logged into your MS account/gamertag, make sure 'Games' is selected from extreme left options of 'Games, Apps, Queue) and scroll to the extreme right (you might have to wait few seconds/minute for this following option to show up) and find 'READY TO INSTALL' option. This place will show you the games also your friend has purchased that you can download and install for free.

You might find that if you switch region on your consoles to buy cheaper digital games from other country's store and then revert back to your region's country once you have purchased that digital game, the 'READY TO INSTALL' section under 'My games & apps' application might stop showing your friends paid digital downloads. In order to bring those back, sign in to your friends gamertag/ms account from top left section and 'choose this person' option under your friends gamertag. You should not be promoted for your friends MS account/gamertag password or their passkey so do not worry.

Once you sign in into your friends account and all their pins and home layout loads up, sign back in into your MS account/gamertag again and then go again to 'My games & apps' application and then 'READY TO INSTALL' section and their paid games that you have not downloaded and installed should be there again. If you know what they have purchased that you do not have downloaded and installed then you can skip the above part and go straight to the games store, search for the game and download and install from there.

What are the cons of setting up game sharing?

1. If you use the SmartGlass app to purchase Xbox One games via Windows 8, Window Phone, iOS or Android devices then the game starts downloading on your friends Xbox One console since it is now set as your 'Home Console'. Same applied for your friend/family member. When they purchase something via the SmartGlass app, it will download it to your console since it set to their 'Home Console'. So watch out for bandwidth/data caps. You can always turn off remote downloading functionality on the Xbox One console in order to avoid this accident OR just buy the games directly from the Xbox website which does not automatically starts downloading the game on anyone's console or buy the game directly through the console you are sitting on as it only then downloads the game to that hardware.

2. In theory, the family/friend can read/send messages on Xbox Live under your profile if they sign into your account on their Xbox One console. They can also add and remove friends under your profile. Choose a family/friend that is mature...

3. If your internet connection dies on your Xbox One console that is set as your friend's 'Home Console' and their console set as your 'Home Console' then you will not be able to play your games under your own sign in offline. You could however if your friend allows you to, sign in under their profile and play the games they have on their account OR create another Gamertag/MS account on the console which will also let you access your friend's digital games library via that account.

Enjoy :cheers:

Hmm wouldnt it be easier to just make 2 new gamertags and share between them? That way you dont have to worry about passwords. Other GTs on the console still have access to the games purchased, right?

Hmm wouldnt it be easier to just make 2 new gamertags and share between them? That way you dont have to worry about passwords. Other GTs on the console still have access to the games purchased, right?

I think you lose some privileges when you're a secondary account on a console that's already using shared primary account, like no offline play and no simultaneous online play etc. At least that's how it is on PS4. You have to get your primary account involved for this to work.

Someone on local forums here actually made a huge effort to create a wiki based on digital prices of Xbox One games. Single point to check prices of all games

It will be updated on regular basis. :)

Mods, request you to please update the OP.

Think this is the suitable place. Rajput sahab, please update the wiki link in your post.

Up to the user. That would work fine too but then you have 2 accounts each. One is your most used Xbox account that you have had for ages with dlc/digital games licenses assigned to it already and a new one that will get future licenses assigned to it. I'd rather have it all under 1 account that I already have.

Other gamertag's on same console can access the games, DLC, Xbox live gold subscription that 'home console' account holder has purchased.

I think you lose some privileges when you're a secondary account on a console that's already using shared primary account, like no offline play and no simultaneous online play etc. At least that's how it is on PS4. You have to get your primary account involved for this to work.

You are right about the no offline play for you if internet goes down if you set somebody else's home console as your 'Home Console'. I have updated the cons part of the above guide to reflect this. Thanks for pointing it out.

Simultaneous online play works fine though on Xbox One as you never even have to log on to the other person's primary account on your own Xbox One console that is set as their 'Home Console' to play their list of digital games library. Both sharer's can play the same game online or offline at same time or at different times even if one user is not online.

I strictly remember one of the mods warning me for discussing digital sharing of games on PS3. Has IVG policy changed on that note???

bro, Xbox live section. Please read the OP carefully where Nelson puttar explained and promoted sharing of games. So, all good.

One sec, you can also share your Xbox Live Gold subscription by using the "Share Gold on this Xbox" feature and the other person will have access to online multiplayer gaming and other "Gold" features as well?

If this is correct, MS are going nuts, right? That's crazy insane in a good way.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and please update OP if true.

One sec, you can also share your Xbox Live Gold subscription by using the "Share Gold on this Xbox" feature and the other person will have access to online multiplayer gaming and other "Gold" features as well?

If this is correct, MS are going nuts, right? That's crazy insane in a good way.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and please update OP if true.

This has been the case since Xbox One launch last year. Same is true for PSN/PS4.

Thank you guys, Tropical and Django. Absolutely brilliant thread and info/links. My brother and I have moved out to separate places recently, and this saves us a lot (50%)

Was about to renew my Gold this weekend but I guess I don't have to do that either since he just renewed his 12 months.

Archived