What Remains of Edith Finch.

KnackChap

Developer | Giant Sparrow.| Sony Santa Monica external.

Publisher | Sony

Follow | @giantsparrow

Platform | Only on Playstation 4

Release | 2016.

Previous Works | The Unfinished Swan.

Our first project, The Unfinished Swan, was not a horror game.

It was a surreal first-person painting game inspired by our love of classic children’s books. But when people saw our original prototype, of splattering an all-white landscape to reveal the world around you, lots of players assumed it was going to be a horror game.

Which was weird because at Giant Sparrow we don’t really make horror games. We make strange experiences that give players a chance to explore things they’ve never seen before. The Unfinished Swan wasn’t meant to be scary but I think it ended up feeling that way for a lot of people because it was so unfamiliar. And there’s nothing scarier than the unknown

What Remains of Edith Finch is a collection of short stories about a cursed family in Washington State.

Each story offers a chance to experience the life of a different family member with stories ranging from the early 1900s to the present day. The gameplay and tone of the stories are as different as the family members themselves. The only constant is that each story is played from a first-person perspective and each ends with that family member’s death. You’ll follow Edith Finch as she explores the history of her family and tries to figure out why she’s the last Finch left alive.

It may sound like a horror game but it isn’t. And by that I mean it’s not a game that’s designed to scare people. Instead, we wanted to make something that feels like looking up at the night sky and being simultaneously amazed by the majesty of the universe and humbled by how fragile and short your own life is. Like The Unfinished Swan, it echoes what it feels like to be a child: encountering forces beyond your ability to understand or control. That can definitely feel scary, but it isn’t meant to.

More than anything this game was inspired by growing up in Washington State and being surrounded by forests, mountains and oceans where nature often feels both beautiful and unsettling.

What Remains of Edith Finch is being published by our friends at Sony Santa Monica and it’ll be available sometime in 2016, exclusively for PS4.

15958091081_43e0363d1g1ye5.jpg

15337791564_8f96887f040ye5.jpg

• Like 1

i loved the unfinished swan. its was in my top 5 downloadable titles of last gen and this one sounds even better.

love how sony are funding all these great middle tier titles for PS4. takes me back to the ps 1 & 2 days, when most publishers used to do the same.

• 5 months later...

new trailer.

game is giving me shadow of destiny vibes for some reason.

It’s hard to sum up the game in a screenshot because the game is a collection of short stories. Each of those stories is about the death of a different Finch family member and each is meant to look and feel different from the others, the way no two people in any family are alike.

Which is why, to start with, we’re focusing a lot on the Finch family house where the game begins. As Edith, players will be exploring this house and eventually unlocking bedrooms for all the various family members. Inside each bedroom is something that tells a story about that person’s life (like a diary, or a collection of photos, etc).

The Finch family house, by the way, is crazy. The family has been living here for the last 100 years and each generation adds on to it. By the time Edith arrives the house is an enormous artefact influenced by a range of eccentric, stubborn folks. Hopefully it’s also a place that comes across as believable and familiar. Our goal has been to make the house feel fantastical but at the same time like it was all made out of stuff you could buy at Home Depot.

And that’s the game in a nutshell: a surreal experience that’s grounded in a familiar world. The deaths in each of the stories are a little bizarre but the really strange thing is death itself.

The house is both a monument to the people who have died and a record of how the family reacted to those deaths. Where the short stories focus on individuals, the house is the story of the family as a whole, told through architecture.

Hope you enjoy your first look inside the house!

• 2 weeks later...
In a playable demo recently shown to media, and planned for E3, the player takes a first-person perspective of a young girl who then morphs into a series of creatures on the hunt.

Each creature offers its own unique perspective and story, lasting no more than a few minutes. They include a hawk, a shark and a big surprise.

The entire level is handled with panache and humor, leaving the player deeply impressed with the game's originality and narrative verve.

"What we're showing now is the first bedroom of the first Finch family member who died in the house," explains Director Ian Dallas. "The first story we're showing is a 10-year-old girl in 1950 describing a weird dream she had, so the tone is fantastical. A story based around an 18-year-old talking to their psychologist in 1968 is going to have a very different feel."

Given the tone of the first level and its surprising twists and turns, just about anything seems possible. But the stories are linked by more than just theme and family ties.

"Most of our stories use a first-person perspective and most start off with something familiar and then take a surreal turn, like an episode of The Twilight Zone."

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/5/8726085/what-remains-of-edith-finch-twisted-touching-compelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

i loved the unfinished swan. its was in my top 5 downloadable titles of last gen and this one sounds even better.

love how sony are funding all these great middle tier titles for PS4. takes me back to the ps 1 & 2 days, when most publishers used to do the same.

Isn't that bad that the publishers limits to their own platform in the name of exclusives because they paid them moolah?

Isn't that bad that the publishers limits to their own platform in the name of exclusives because they paid them moolah?

How is that bad? If sony wasn't funding, some of such games might not get made. Being exclusive to pc and ps4 is better than no game. Same goes fos microsoft and nintendo. Edited by Sach4life

How is that bad? If sony wasn't funding, some of such games might not get made. Being exclusive to pc and ps4 is better than no game. Same goes fos microsoft and nintendo.

Not bad as it's being funded just by sony but just accessable to one platform.

How the tone has changed since you got a gaming PC ROFL

So you expect me to say 'Yeah Sony way to go, Screw you Microsoft you guys don't stand a chance'? LOL

Then I'd comment this on every exclusives. Giant Sparrow is an Independent video game company and this game was previously planned to release on Windows and Playstation. Hell, I wanted this to release on Xbox and Nintendo consoles too!

People will get this on PS4 if they wish, including me but it's about availability where every gamer can enjoy good games.

This type of adaptation isn't good for us gamers. But damn, I thought you were much experienced than I'm. ROFL

So you expect me to say 'Yeah Sony way to go, Screw you Microsoft you guys don't stand a chance'? LOL

Then I'd comment this on every exclusives. Giant Sparrow is an Independent video game company and this game was previously planned to release on Windows and Playstation. Hell, I wanted this to release on Xbox and Nintendo consoles too!

People will get this on PS4 if they wish, including me but it's about availability where every gamer can enjoy good games.

This type of adaptation isn't good for us gamers. But damn, I thought you were much experienced than I'm. ROFL

Hahahhahahahhahahahaha

I never knew you cared so much about every other platforms.. Xbox and Nintendo.. Lmao

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

:rofl:

Sobbii

Supporting MS makes as he using MS Windows 10 to play games on his new PC :P

Bhai superiority dikhana banta hai bhale games na khele paisa itna kharch kiya hai.. Go on heaven you own the bragging rights.. [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

So basically, you would have liked if this game wasn't even made so that all gamers would have got the equal opportunity to not play the game?

• Like 1