What Remains of Edith Finch.

KnackChap

Yes it's very much something that can only be done in a game. It has substantially more "gameplay" than say Gone Home or other similar games. I understand not many would want to pay full price for a 2 hour experience with very little replay value and if you're the type of gamer who compares value to length then you should definitely skip it. I also don't see the story itself appealing to a lot of people. It's a game that can only affect you if you're in the right state of mind. If you go in with thoughts like "I just spent money on this, this better be as good as everyone's saying it is", chances are you might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Also, quoting for a new page...

No, nothing like that. It's a linear interactive story. If you're familiar with games like Gone Home or Firewatch then you'll know what to expect.

However for those who don't mind slight spoilers about what the game is like read on (I still highly recommend going in blind though).

You play as a young girl named Edith Finch as you return to your childhood family home after 10 years. Her family has seen a lot of tragedy over the years as most of them have died young and under weird circumstances almost to point where people think the family is cursed. The game is about you exploring the house and it's surroundings and finding out about how the deaths happened. Every time you start a "story" of a Finch family member the game switches styles and let's you experience what happened in their final moments and also gives you more info on what kind of person they were. All of these vignettes are very stylishly done, one for example plays out inside a comic book.

Note that despite the setting and the subject matter, this is not a horror game at all, it's not meant to scare or shock you. It does not build up to any mindblowing revelations. However it tells a very emotional, tragic and at times darkly funny story about a strange family. The way the story is presented is the real highlight of the game.

Finished it!

Beautiful, sad and quirky at the same time. It has an air of melancholy throughout which is set up perfectly by its incredibly detailed 'world' (which actually feels like it has a rich history) and its tragic stories within.

The game has a bittersweet exterior but I thought the underlying story leaned more towards being kinda depressing though. And I loved it!

Yeah the range of emotions this game brings out is quite something. The way the stories are presented goes perfectly with the writing. I think the ones that affected me most were...

- Molly and her "dream" - it was sad and wonderful at the same time

- The baby in the bathtub (had to pause for a couple of minutes after that one)

- Lewis and his slow mental decline, shows what a menial job can do to a bright young mind

That said, all of them were unique and really well done.

Yeah, Lewis's story affected me the most. Not just because of what he was going through but also the way he died. That was f**ked up and I can only imagine how it would've affected his family, especially considering it was his mother who got him the job in the cannery.

I absolutely loved the storytelling technique as well in this one.

The baby's story was pretty depressing too, made more so by his father's narration. And then you see that it was all written on the divorce papers. That was some great visual storytelling.

And then you have Grandma Edie, who died all alone in that huge house of hers surrounded by nothing but memories of all her lost loved ones. Just thinking about it makes me feel depressed :\

• 1 month later...

My god this game amazing. :majesty:  Story so far is really interesting..Can't wait to play more.

Spoiler

Just completed Barbara story..Man this game f**ked up. lol

If it stays this good then this will compete with Nier for my GOTY :P

Playing on PC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just done with it. I liked Barbara's story. The comic book design was pretty good and only one felt somewhat happy. 

Rest of them were rather meh. In fact, the whole game was rather depressing than fun. Quite messed up and brought so many memories. BEN176V.png 

Bad frame pacing and the length was very short. Took about ~2 hours. Quite expensive regardless the quality.  

• 1 year later...

Finished it in the weekend. Another awesome and unique indie. After playing the first two QD games and TWD S1 and not liking them that much, I gave up on this genre. However, the last 3 games - this one, until dawn and oxen free have made me realise that these walking sims can be great too. Previous game from this dev was also very unique.