What Remains of Edith Finch.

KnackChap

Just a little over 10 hours depending on how much you explore.

Thanks.

Back to Edith Finch.

It's been almost a day since I finished the game but I'm still thinking about some of the events in the game. Goes to show that it is not something you play, enjoy and forget about. I'll say it's even better than Gone Home or any other game in this genre. While Gone Home enthralled me with it's 90's aesthetic this game is a lot more whimsical in nature, it's also far darker but not necessarily depressing and even has some funny moments. The visuals are also much more pleasing to the eye. I really hope people don't simply dismiss it as a "walking simulator", it's so much more.

• Like 1

Well, I mean I get your point but Mario is a jumping game. He was literally called Jumpman instead of Mario at one point IIRC. Simulator it aint.

Nothing wrong with calling it a walking simulator, it is what it is. It can be used dismissively but so can FPS.

Well, I mean I get your point but Mario is a jumping game. He was literally called Jumpman instead of Mario at one point IIRC. Simulator it aint.

Nothing wrong with calling it a walking simulator, it is what it is. It can be used dismissively but so can FPS.

It is not a walking simulator when you are interacting with objects / people in an immersive environment and there is a story unfolding either through narration or via documents you read. A walking simulator would be something where you are just walking down a path with nothing else happening at all.

Anyways, my objection is primarily directed towards the dismissive tone underlying the term 'walking simulator' rather than the term itself.

Nitpicking.

FPS arent all shooting all the time either, yet they are called that. Game genres are named for the mechanics with which the player interacts with the world. Most games called Walking simulators are walking around looking at things.

I personally feel "walking simulator" is a somewhat derogatory tag. It's basically sarcasm while most genre tags aren't. Walking is something most people do daily and for the most part it's not always for fun, so why would anyone make a simulator for that? The term itself was coined for games that some clever people thought have no "gameplay" (read shooting/killing) and all you do is walk from place to place. That said, it's true that now it's pretty much a convenient way of describing these kind of games. I just feel it's underselling something that's a lot more. But hey who am I to change what the internet hivemind decides, right?

As for the game in question here, the reasons why I wouldn't simply call it a walking simulator would ruin a lot of surprises in the game.

I personally feel "walking simulator" is a somewhat derogatory tag. It's basically sarcasm while most genre tags aren't. Walking is something most people do daily and for the most part it's not always for fun, so why would anyone make a simulator for that? The term itself was coined for games that some clever people thought have no "gameplay" (read shooting/killing) and all you do is walk from place to place. That said, it's true that now it's pretty much a convenient way of describing these kind of games. I just feel it's underselling something that's a lot more. But hey who am I to change what the internet hivemind decides, right?

As for the game in question here, the reasons why I wouldn't simply call it a walking simulator would ruin a lot of surprises in the game.

Yeah.. and why can't we use a genre name that already exists for such games - 'Adventure games'. This is the Genre we find in Wikipedia articles and Steam description of these games.

Alright, just finished the game. Took me about 2 hours but man what an experience! I strongly advise you to not read/watch anything about it if you're planning on playing. It's best to discover it for yourself. The setup is more or less similar to Gone Home but it does some very interesting things. You can tell the game was made with great care, the writing / voice acting is perfect, the soundtrack is beautiful, hell, even the end credits are some of the best I've ever seen.

Do note that while overall it's a somber game, a couple of sections in the game got to me real bad. One of those actually almost made me cry and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

Thanks.

Back to Edith Finch.

It's been almost a day since I finished the game but I'm still thinking about some of the events in the game. Goes to show that it is not something you play, enjoy and forget about. I'll say it's even better than Gone Home or any other game in this genre. While Gone Home enthralled me with it's 90's aesthetic this game is a lot more whimsical in nature, it's also far darker but not necessarily depressing and even has some funny moments. The visuals are also much more pleasing to the eye. I really hope people don't simply dismiss it as a "walking simulator", it's so much more.

I was planning on getting Outlast 2 and Little Nightmares on release and Edith Finch later (on a sale probably).

But now look what you made me do :ranting:

image.jpg

565 is a very sweet and tempting price though.

• Like 1

Walking simulator is as derogatory as the term interactive movies. Both types of games fall under Adventure genre and both are not my cup of tea. Though I liked Until Dawn.

Comparing the term Walking Simulator to FPS is just absurd. It's just arguing for the sake of it.

No, nothing like that. It's a linear interactive story. If you're familiar with games like Gone Home or Firewatch then you'll know what to expect.

However for those who don't mind slight spoilers about what the game is like read on (I still highly recommend going in blind though).

You play as a young girl named Edith Finch as you return to your childhood family home after 10 years. Her family has seen a lot of tragedy over the years as most of them have died young and under weird circumstances almost to point where people think the family is cursed. The game is about you exploring the house and it's surroundings and finding out about how the deaths happened. Every time you start a "story" of a Finch family member the game switches styles and let's you experience what happened in their final moments and also gives you more info on what kind of person they were. All of these vignettes are very stylishly done, one for example plays out inside a comic book.

Note that despite the setting and the subject matter, this is not a horror game at all, it's not meant to scare or shock you. It does not build up to any mindblowing revelations. However it tells a very emotional, tragic and at times darkly funny story about a strange family. The way the story is presented is the real highlight of the game.

Edited by Tyler