Heat issues when using a meshed 3-tier shelving to house a projector and two consoles

Ph3N0M

My Benq HT1085ST projector will arrive sometime next week. It is a short-throw projector, and so will be placed very near the screen(between 5 and 6 feet from the screen). I don't have the option to ceiling mount the projector due to apartment restrictions, and so will be keeping the projector on some surface a bit above the ground. I thought that adjustable meshed shelves/racks like the following would be very useful in my situation:

812JlBVjkDL._SL1500_.jpg

I would put the projector on the middle shelf after adjusting it's height so as to project to the screen properly. I would then place two consoles on the two remaining shelves(top and bottom). The only issue I can see is the heat from the projector affecting the consoles. And if it does affect the consoles too much, is there a better way of placing them(except the obvious better way of using long HDMI cables and placing the consoles far away)?

This is tricky since I don't have the projector with me right now and so don't know how much heat it would generate, but at the same time I need to order this shelf or something like it to store the projector when it arrives. So I think I'll have to do with experiences of members who regularly use projector and hoping that my case will be similar. Thoughts? Tips?

Is there any thermal advantage of placing a console below or above the projector? I may try to fit in both my PS3 and Wii U on one shelf(both vertically, or one vertical and the other horizontal) if there is any particular heating advantage in doing so. Also is there any thermal advantage of using a meshed rack over using a solid rack/stand or vice versa? Another option would be to use something solid like this TV stand, but using that would mean I would have no control over the height of the projector from the ground.

Okay, I gave up on the flexibility of an adjustable rack and ordered the TV stand linked above(picture below). Needed to order something fast otherwise won't get it before Christmas. Also, this particular stand is perfect in terms of height when placing the projector on the top shelf if my calculations are correct. Now waiting for December 24th to set everything up!

81izUwgnlLL._SL1500_.jpg

The concern about heat was a legitimate concern though, and I'd still like to see some experienced people comment on that.

I would suggest you keep the projector at the highest point, followed by the XBox and the PlayStation at the bottom, in the order of their heat dissipation. This way you would not have to worry about the projector frying the other devices.

Thanks Alpha. Don't have an XBox anymore. Brought the PS3 from India and very recently bought a Wii U(going to hit the WYBTW thread soon). So you are suggesting on the basis of the simple fact that hot air rises up and so the hottest item should be on top, right? Would things be more complicated if I had gone for a meshed structure as in the OP instead of a solid stand?

Yeah! I am running with the hot air rises up theory, would still suggest the projector to be kept highest, followed by the consoles in whichever order you want.

The mesh like structure might have had issues, cannot say for sure but lets keep it at the fact that it would not be a major issue as far as I see.

tbh, mesh setup would allow the heat to travel directly to the console placed at the top. Non-mesh would block that heat. If heating is still a concern, just use a cooler like this (for PS4) or this (generic) for anything including projector.

FWIW, I always used a generic laptop cooling pad (almost same as the 2nd one linked above) for my PS3 because there was very little airflow in the compartment where I'd stored it.

Also, always make sure that any electronic device which produces heat has sufficient ventilation, especially at the bottom. Just place a few erasers/small thermocol pieces below all corners as a stand (and they also dampen vibrations).

I'll probably place small rectangular cardboard cutouts as stand. Thanks for the suggestions. Eagerly waiting for both the projector and the TV stand to arrive on 24th now.

Archived