The Photography Thread!

DaftSmiley

You want followers and the rest of the social media crap, use Instagram. 

If you are actually serious about photography, that shouldnt be your platform though. Or at least your primary platform.

Edited by Aftrunner

1 minute ago, Aftrunner said:

You want followers and the rest of the social media crap, use Instagram. 

If you are actually serious about photography, that shouldnt be your platform though. Or at least your primary platform.

I was just sharing my opinion, not advocating Instagram. Though, the effort which goes into it does deserve recognition, which i think Instagram with it's user base, does better. 

Other than that your point is totally valid, flickr is better in every other way.

• 1 year later...

Guys I'm looking to get Nikon D5600 as first DSLR looking for recommendations for where to buy offline stores Mumbai jj Mehta, Lalit Foto or go online? Are the shops in bora bazaar geninue? Safe to buy could be used? 

1 hour ago, DinJo said:

Guys I'm looking to get Nikon D5600 as first DSLR looking for recommendations for where to buy offline stores Mumbai jj Mehta, Lalit Foto or go online? Are the shops in bora bazaar geninue? Safe to buy could be used? 

If you know what to check, used is a good option. Else check prices online vs offline. I generally find offline to be cheaper. 

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

If you know what to check, used is a good option. Else check prices online vs offline. I generally find offline to be cheaper. 

I would definitely recommend this as well. Buy something with a not-too-high shutter count. Use the money you save to get a better lens. 

45 minutes ago, DinJo said:

Hmm not really a expert in this hence my doubts maybe shutter count could be resetted? 

I dont think so but I could be wrong on that. Regardless the camera condition and the model number (like a 7-8 year old model with a low shutter count is unlikely to happen) should clue you in. If you look around on jjmehta forum there are a decent number of regular trusted sellers that sell their old stuff. Their Buy and Sell threads are pretty active. 

If its your first DSLR, I would really say go for lower model and buy used and spend whatever money you save on a good lens or two (a 50 or a 35mm Prime is an excellent starting point). I really cant stress the importance of a good lens enough. "You date your cameras, you marry your lenses."

Edited by Aftrunner

2 hours ago, DinJo said:

So which camera body would you recommend? 

Try all the different brands in a store. The construction materials used and the weight have a huge impact on whether you like a camera or not. For ex, I can't shoot with Canon cameras as I absolutely hate their plastic bodies and low weight. My go to is Nikon due to better heft (also serving to stabilize the camera in the way I hold and shoot) and seemingly better construction. 

Then you've mirrorless cameras, which I think you can opt for since you're just starting. I took a Fuji XT3 on a recent trip, and yet again I just missed my trustworthy Nikon. Habit I guess. 

Spend some time at a good camera shop, click photos, look at the menu etc. 

Don't splurge much into the camera as Afty said. More on the lens. 

Mirrorless as still relatively new, and tech is evolving. Good old DSLRs will be cheaper in comparison. For Nikon, will recommend from the D5xxx series (or D750 is looking for a full frame camera, which is a bit of an overkill if you're just starting). 

• 3 months later...

Looking to buy a Sony A6000 camera. Its going for 40K right now on Amazon, with the regular 16-50 kit lens, which I've heard is pretty crappy.

Anyway if anybody uses the same camera any recommendations? I think I'm going to wait till Republic Day, hoping for a discount plus saving on a credit card.

Any advice will be appreciated, for lenses (I'm gonna be travelling a good bit, and perhaps go abroad for a week during the summer too) or just buying advice. I think Amazon should be fine. This will be my first camera, though I have used my brother's Nikon DSLR occasionally in the past. I dont think I can buy used, since Im not sure what things to be on the lookout for, and where to buy them. My father says we can buy a new one, though I understand that saving money will enable me to buy better lenses and other minimal equipment.

Will also appreciate any links/sources for online tutorials that will help me do a better job with my photos. 

Edited by Chirag2001

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I own a Sony A6000 camera. Its not weather sealed afaik. 

I'm planning to go to Kashmir in 10 days time with friends. We're hoping for snow but not sure if I can take my camera out in snowy weather and take pics. 

(Not necessarily snowfall, but even with snow on the ground and very low temps, can i use the camera?)

My phone camera is pretty garbage, so in case I cannot take my camera along I'll have to immediately purchase a new phone to at least get some pictures. 

Please advise. 

On 2/27/2021 at 2:24 PM, Chirag2001 said:

I own a Sony A6000 camera. Its not weather sealed afaik. 

I'm planning to go to Kashmir in 10 days time with friends. We're hoping for snow but not sure if I can take my camera out in snowy weather and take pics. 

(Not necessarily snowfall, but even with snow on the ground and very low temps, can i use the camera?)

My phone camera is pretty garbage, so in case I cannot take my camera along I'll have to immediately purchase a new phone to at least get some pictures. 

Please advise. 

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B076T64W7N/

U can use something like above for water / snow protection.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...