The Photography Thread!

DaftSmiley

@Bird Bird Bird Fuji is great if you shoot both photos and video. The film simulations are amazing. And another advantage of fuji are the small, lightweight lenses. Though I'd get sony if I shot video only.

I wouldn't look into image quality at this point though, those AI sharpening tools and median are magic and make $300 lenses look like $2000 lenses.

57 minutes ago, Anshul said:

@Bird Bird Bird Fuji is great if you shoot both photos and video. The film simulations are amazing. And another advantage of fuji are the small, lightweight lenses. Though I'd get sony if I shot video only.

I wouldn't look into image quality at this point though, those AI sharpening tools and median are magic and make $300 lenses look like $2000 lenses.

Thanks ! 

I'll primarily shoot photos. Very rarely, if ever, video. 

Which tools would you recommend for sharpening/editing ? I've been out of touch for over 4 years, and not inclined to purchase an Adobe sub for what is essentially a hobby. 

I am also expecting the Fuji JPEGs to be pretty much what I'll need, with minimal editing on histogram or basic stuff like exposure etc. Really don't have the bandwidth to do detailed edits on RAW. 

38 minutes ago, Anshul said:

Took these with the X-E4, same sensor as x-T4.

ZSTeYvU.jpg

7mx8fUI.jpg

sMUFgUa.jpg

ZuePdoI.jpg\

cwqbbF7.jpg

r0iXm8Z.jpg

z8gbfFw.jpg

Stunning. 

37 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Which tools would you recommend for sharpening/editing ? I've been out of touch for over 4 years, and not inclined to purchase an Adobe sub for what is essentially a hobby. 

Topaz Sharpen AI. Just open a folder of images in the software and with one click it does the rest.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anshul said:

Took these with the X-E4, same sensor as x-T4.

Yoooo those are some crispy shots. awesome!

@Bird Bird Birdhave been a bit out of loop this year, but I think you'll find most people recommending Sony when it comes to mirrorless. 

Full Frame is more expensive of course, but the A7R range has sold super well and is just a very reliable option. 

4 minutes ago, North said:

Yoooo those are some crispy shots. awesome!

@Bird Bird Birdhave been a bit out of loop this year, but I think you'll find most people recommending Sony when it comes to mirrorless. 

Full Frame is more expensive of course, but the A7R range has sold super well and is just a very reliable option. 

Not a fan tbh. I know the A7iii and iv are one of the best, but Sony cameras look like aseptic corporate halls. Sony glasses get EXPENSIVE too. They're better with videos than Fuji, which is not my aim. 

I've used an XT3, and I like the film simulation modes. It also gave me quite many keepers OOTC (JPEGs). 

Would have gone for XT3, but XT4 has better low light + IBIS. And I did miss IBIS on XT3, specially pairing with non stabilized lenses like 16-55 /f2.8. It's a crime that one of Fuji's best lenses misses on OIS (even their kit aka 18-55 has OIS). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rushab oswal said:

What would you recommened for someone who wants to shoot close jewellery photos? I currently use nikond3400 with tamron prime lens, want to change.

Depending on the photos you want to take, you'll need proper lighting equipment. Plenty of youtube tutorials for that.

@Anshul Have you used the Z6ii, specially with 24-70 f/4 ? I am tossed up between this combo vs XT4 + 16-55 f/2.8. 

I know it's FF vs APSC, but got few reviews that Z6ii's built is pretty bad, and overheating is common, specially in Indian summers. Body shells have bent out of shape too. 

XT4 is solid, but I would like to move to FF is possible. Both the above mentioned combos are around the 1.9-2L mark - wondering what's the best option. 

Image quality from apcs setups are very close to FF these days. Personally, my favourite focal lengths are 24mm and 40mm. The nikon 24 1.8 goes for 80k while the sigma 16mm goes for 30K. It's hard to justify the extra cost imo. That said the 24-70 f4 is the best travel lens on the market and it's all you'll really need, so you cant go wrong with it. 

Both are great options :fear1:

1 hour ago, Anshul said:

Image quality from apcs setups are very close to FF these days. Personally, my favourite focal lengths are 24mm and 40mm. The nikon 24 1.8 goes for 80k while the sigma 16mm goes for 30K. It's hard to justify the extra cost imo. That said the 24-70 f4 is the best travel lens on the market and it's all you'll really need, so you cant go wrong with it. 

Both are great options :fear1:

Thanks, but no thanks. :chair:

Have you used the Z6ii btw? I checked a couple of camera specific shops, and they did say they heard feedback on overheating when the camera was launched, but nothing much for the past few months. 

Also, DoF and background seperation on FF is still :wub:

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

On 7/14/2022 at 3:58 PM, Anshul said:

Depending on the photos you want to take, you'll need proper lighting equipment. Plenty of youtube tutorials for that.

1oRzk8N.jpg

Have this equipment with me , does a good job for photos, my issue is current camera is giving up (The body is fine the tamron lens has AF Issues ). So i just needed an suggestion with what camera should i upgrade. the only things i will click is jewellery.

@Bird Bird Bird You can pitch in too,

6 hours ago, rushab oswal said:

1oRzk8N.jpg

Have this equipment with me , does a good job for photos, my issue is current camera is giving up (The body is fine the tamron lens has AF Issues ). So i just needed an suggestion with what camera should i upgrade. the only things i will click is jewellery.

@Bird Bird Bird You can pitch in too,

Is it a camera issue or a lens issue ? You don’t need high end gear for jewellery/light box photography on tripod. 
Tbh, even the discontinued D5500 would work fine. 

12 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

@Anshul: Any good guide for Topaz Sharpen AI ? I am trying my hand with DXO PL5, and sending JPGs to Sharpen AI, even in standard mode, oversharpens the photo to hell ! All the parameters are kept at zero. 

Share the photos that are getting oversharpened with auto settings. I've rarely seen that happen.