The Photography Thread!

DaftSmiley

i actually did.... but almost every shopkeeper (the ones keeping all cameras as well as the electronic store ones) and review sites have not rated D1000 very high as compared to these :doh: so not really sure...i follow dpreviews for photography related opinions...

One issue is low light photography. The grain is a little more in the 1000D than the D3000. But keep in mind, live view is quite important in some situations, though of course when u get an SLR, you should stop using the LCD.

the 1000D is one of the most popular and best selling entry level SLRs. Reviews are glowing, even dpr and imaging resource etc have highly rated them, maybe a notch below D3000. But the image quality diff is very little and the lack of live view is a downer.

if u can pay a little more, I'd suggest the D5000. Be warned though when u get a Nikon, it does not support autofocus on older lenses. Only the new AF-S lenses which hve AF built in the body of the lens. Whereas Canon cameras have autofocus on older lenses as well. Plus Nikon lenses are a tad more expensive compared to Canon.

Edited by Death Stryke

It's the main thing that you have mentioned there :doh: the Olympus one kinda trumps these in terms of all these factors, including live photography view :wOOtjumpy:

Edited by Ace Master Dullu

Dont know about Olympus. I've used a D40 only till now. Why'd u wanna go for it when most support and lenses are for Canon or Nikon only. Like tamron or sigma for eg. When u get an SLR, u will slowly buy lenses for it. When u wanna upgrade it next, it'd be sensible to buy a camera of the same family. If u buy an olmypus now, and get lenses for it. Later on u want a Canon, then all the investment goes waste. Stick to Canon or Nikon, as they r the major players in this, and be sure of sticking to whatever brand u buy if money matters to u

@ Dullu - If this is your first dslr then I would suggest you to go and test Nikon D3000. I was in a similar confusion and I was about to go for Nikon D3000 as its user friendly . I went through a lot of reviews for it and found that it was the a great switch to the world of beginners dslr photography.

I had a budget of about 30k for my dslr and I chose Nikon D5000 because I got a very good deal (Rs 25,000 something). The most important difference which was important for me between Nikon D3000 and Nikon 5000 was live view . There is no Live View mode in Nikon D3000.

Well you can check more points of difference here :- http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d3000-vs-d5000

Have you ascertained any budget for the dslr ? It might have a significant impact on your choices.

Just my 50 cents :doh:

Edited by ps3geek

D3000 is great yea as an entry level cam. But as u grow more and more proficient with tweaking, you'll find the lack of dedicated buttons and the need to go to menus to do tweaking irritating. Either D5000 or Canon 500D. I'd tilt it towards Canon because of lower cost of ownership

@ ps3geek and Glen: Thanks for the advise........it clears a lot of things, especially one point like "cost of ownership"....... Olympus can be a b*tch to maintain :doh:

as for my budget, i am fine upto 35k, which would just be the borderline for D5000...... and as u said, i found D3000 pretty nice for entry level, but i played around with it at a friend's place and found the menus lacking a bit.....i might also choose to import D5000 (though i prefer having local warranty for such costly stuff)......

Bro I just found a great price for Nikon D5000 on ebay. Be sure to check this. It includes the 18-55 mm VR lens kit. Great price of Rs. 32,300 shipped . Not sure whether it has any warranty or not (or might be an imported piece). The seller is based in Chennai and looks like there is a website and the shop address given. You can ask anyone you know in Chennai to go and have a look in the shop if possible.

http://cgi.ebay.in/Nikon-D5000-12-3-MP-DSL...=item2a05fd5fc3

thanks man :unsure: but why is the warranty type "dealer warranty" and for only 6 months.... i hope its not an imported one which he is selling at an inflated price :panic: But will check it out...thanks again :nerves:

Yes 6 months dealer warranty in all probabilities means its an imported item. But you were also getting it imported. So it would mean the same thing minus India warranty. At least the dealer is giving you a 6 month warranty (although it doesn't really make a difference). Just find out whether the dealer is reliable or not and whether the box is sealed or opened.

In terms of Entry level DSLR review scores, mostly you will find Nikon being rated higher because of incredible image quality, and high ISO performance (useful for nature photography also).

However, I would say ergonomically, Canon feels much better. And you gotta love that super-silent leaf shutter. I myself own a D50 and I love it, but once in a while I get pissed off with some handling issues. Dont let that happen or else the camera will leave your closet less often.

I would say go to a shop and play with both Canon and Nikon models. In the end, you will get amazing pics on both families, but you gotta buy the one which makes you want to keep clicking. Another imp factor that DS highlighted is the cost of lenses, but it depends. I knew I was going to buy lenses every 4-5 years or so, and would eventually have only a few lenses. So, it didnt rank much in consideration as the difference in cost isnt going to be that much (only talking about Nikon vs Canon here)

Olympus - forget it. I presume it would be costly and no chance of post sales support. Try to protect your investment too.

Best of luck :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

EDIT:

Dude, how did u get the coloring???

Some of my shots. No postprocessing.

Canon 1000D @ Dilli Haath and IHC

BTW, gotta clear this misconception about Live View:

Firstly, it's NOT the same as a P&S LCD view. You have to select it manually. Then focus the image either manually or automatically (of which there are two different methods in my cam) and this takes more time than you would like. It's not like having the image on the LCD and half-pressing the shutter button to get the autofocus. My cam uses the focus lock button to achieve auto-focus.

Secondly, it's an awesome feature cos there are many shots I've taken either by having the camera right on the ground (check out the turtle pic in the above link) or by raising it above my head. Both of these types of shots would be impossible without Live View.

Edited by LedViper7