Importing PS4 from Australia

Hi all!

This post is for the benefit of fellow gamers who can import from Australia. I got my Glacier White PS 4 with one controller last week for Rs 18,500. Ordered AC Unity, LOUR, Watchdogs and Infamous SS for another 7 grand. Customs didn't even check it because it was in the hand luggage (with the box). So basically, a new PS4 plus four cool games for 25k! In India the same would cost around 52k!

Hi all!

This post is for the benefit of fellow gamers who can import from Australia. I got my Glacier White PS 4 with one controller last week for Rs 18,500. Ordered AC Unity, LOUR, Watchdogs and Infamous SS for another 7 grand. Customs didn't even check it because it was in the hand luggage (with the box). So basically, a new PS4 plus four cool games for 25k! In India the same would cost around 52k!

bold part (because you bought with you , if you import directly to india via courier or post , customs is highly possible . when bought with luggage there is limit of 30k or 40k , not sure how much for customs to charge. but when you import while being in india customs is highly possible)

Yeah, if someone gets it for you in their luggage (even checked-in luggage because the limit now is 35k) then it is a really great deal. But if you're in India and want to import it then the delivery charges will apply. Custom may or may not apply depending on if its gift wrapped, which airport it is (mumbai and delhi are really stringent).

Another alternative is to check for prices in the local grey market. The price of a new PS4 in Gaffar Market, Delhi is 28k right now. They are all imported from Hong Kong but usually work just fine.

Hope this helps some people because I was really confused when I was searching for such options.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am traveling to Australia in 2 days and planning to get a PS4 pro from there. Please help with the following questions/ doubts

1) duty applicable If any (price ~550 AUD). I am thinking of carrying it back in the hand baggage (with the box) as have read online that electronic items get stolen or damaged in checked in luggage

2) it's the same PAL region I believe, so region code shouldn't be an issue. A confirmation on that please

3) power related issues if any

4) I have thought of buying it from there as India launch is still not in sight and when it will be launched there will still be a difference of around 12-15k.

5) any other suggestions/advice regarding the purchase

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I too snagged a deal on an Australian PS4 and had my sister bring it here when she was visiting. My advice would be to grab a deal during the holiday times - Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc. There are great deals to be had. I managed to get a black 1TB PS4 bundled with the Uncharted Collection from Target Aus for $405 (a little under 21k). The same bundle would have cost me 37k in India at the time.

Keep a check on OzBargain website. I set up an alert for PS4. Anytime any deals came up, I was notified by email. You can browse there to see whether there are any particular stores that have a discount going on.

@vacky_v - no power related issues other than that the power unit has a flat pin plug. You would need a flat pin multiplug/converter before you can plug it in. You can get one easily from any electrical store.

Ditch the box/tags..drops the weight considerably. My sister also got it in her hand luggage. She used her clothing for cushioning.

PS4 games are NOT region locked. Well, 99.9% of them anyways. So PAL does not matter. However, DLC is region locked. So if you do grab games from there, keep in mind that to download DLC for THOSE games, you would need an Aus PSN ID and DLC. This wasn't an issue for me. I got a few games from there for which I had no intention of getting DLC.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

There are some great deals on PS4 slim but not the same scene for pro.

Have found just one worthwhile which is offering a free controller but that's from a standalone store not located anywhere were I am traveling.

Will pick up a pro for sure. Thanks for the help.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Goldfinger said:

What about warranty? Do Indian Sony stores provide warranty for PS4 Pro bought in Australia? 

As far as i know, indian sony only provides warranty for PlayStations bought in india. But they do have some policy on Playstations of same region. So lets say India is PAL, if you get a playstation from PAL region and it malfunctions, they kind of give some sort of benefit to such customers like a replacement at half the price or some percentage of the new console. I may be wrong though, but you can check.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ten-things-you-should-know-before-importing-ps4-in-india/0126088

Snippet from the article 

Warranty and support

The biggest argument against importing the PlayStation 4 or buying it from the grey market is warranty. If your PS4 is not bought officially from India, Sony will not provide any sort of warranty coverage should something go wrong with the hardware. If you do happen to import it from the Middle East or Europe (PAL territories), you still won't get warranty, but if the console does die on you, Sony will give you a new PS4 as replacement for 50% of the Indian MRP. That benefit is not extended to PS4s purchased from non-PAL countries.

New consoles have been known to have hardware issues in the past, and while there are no alarming issues being reported for the PS4 just yet, it’s still a risk buying a launch console without warranty. So whether or not you import the PS4 is very much a case of weighing the risk of a hardware failure against the benefit of saving a few thousand Rupees.

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Karmanay said:

Will ps4 bought in Australia work in india

The ps4 is second hand

Yes, it will. PS4 bought from any region will work anywhere, as long as the voltage plug can be matched. I think AU has the same as India, if I'm not mistaken.

Hello,

Yeah..as mentioned above, PS4 from Aus will work in India. But games(particularly DLCs which are region locked) bought in Aus might not work. You need to create a login ID as per your region. Aus login ID might not run games bought in India and vice versa.

Archived