KnackChap

Been playing this for the last couple of days. Really loving it. The enviorments look so breathtaking.

Combat is fun, story and worldbuilding is enticing. Aloy is a great character. 
If you are loving the game now. Wait till you get blast and tear arrows. The real game starts only from that point for me. Killing those big beasts with advanced arrows is so much fun! The story is excellent and in the second half, it takes some good turns, or maybe I should say revelations. The OST is brilliant too and is still stuck with me.

Contrary to what people say about this game, it is much more than an eye candy.
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Horizon Days Dawn said:

This game has what is most probably the best combat PS has to offer

I would disagree with that 

it is quite unique i’ll give it that but it gets tad bit boring doing same stealth +bow & arrow + traps confrontations over & over. 

GoW is the king when it comes to actual combat this Gen. 

Horizon is one of a kind for sure though & I hope they add more melee combat mechanics to make it more varied. 

18 minutes ago, Horizon Days Dawn said:

This game has what is most probably the best combat PS has to offer, backed up by a brilliant tier 1 story and gr8 characters and world. Its most definitely at least in the top 3 best PS games if not the top.

You are repeating same things from a few weeks/months ago and got the thread locked 

I do have some criticisms:

The climbing feels very restrictive in that you can only climb on developer-assigned-spots. I was playing Assassin's Creed before this and it feels very jarring when I see ledges that Aloy should have no problem holding on to but she won't because it's not marked as a climbable spot. 

Machines will often jump on you, which is fine with smaller machines which you can dodge or run from. But bigger machines like the crocodiles, sawtooth, ravager can end stun locking you. Especially if you've been backed into a wall. Is there any strategy to counter this when it happens? This happened in a cauldron and it was frustrating. 

My rideable machine keeps getting reset when I fast travel or start a quest. 

Edited by dylanjosh

24 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

The climbing feels very restrictive in that you can only climb on developer-assigned-spots. I was playing Assassin's Creed before this and it feels very jarring when I see ledges that Aloy should have no problem holding on to but she won't because it's not marked as a climbable spot. 

Machines will often jump on you, which is fine with smaller machines which you can dodge or run from. But bigger machines like the crocodiles, sawtooth, ravager can end stun locking you. Especially if you've been backed into a wall. Is there any strategy to counter this when it happens? This happened in a cauldron and it was frustrating. 

The climbing mechanic is broken. No arguments on that. As for the machine jumping. It takes a bit of time and practice to figure that out. For most machines - shoot the leg. They will trip and fall. Either use the jump slow time or the concentration for that. If u hit the leg. It will trip and fall. If a machine is on low health it will hold one leg up in the air and support on 3 legs. Make sure to hit a supporting leg. If its a snapmaw ur only option are dodge. If that doesn't work then depending on how far off it jumps from, a simple jump could work. If u have the time lay a tripwire in front the the snapmaw before it jumps. If all else fails just hit it with 1 topecaster wire while close to it. It will not fully pin it. It can move a little here and there and do ranged attacks but it can't jump at you for some time when it will try to break loose the rope. Try it. Go close. 1 rope. Move far away. It will do ranged attacks and maybe tailswipe if u go close but it can't move from its place or jump at u for sometime. Ur last option is to put a bomb from ur sling. It will give u a 2 - 3 second stagger period but not mid jump.

34 minutes ago, AnK said:

I would disagree with that 

it is quite unique i’ll give it that but it gets tad bit boring doing same stealth +bow & arrow + traps confrontations over & over. 

GoW is the king when it comes to actual combat this Gen. 

Horizon is one of a kind for sure though & I hope they add more melee combat mechanics to make it more varied. 

Could use a mellee or 2 more and setting traps is like a 30 sec job because of tripwire and proximity bomb placement range. The combat is near perfect with the exception of 2 - 3 more mellee move requirement. How is basic hack and slash combos by that logic

25 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

You are repeating same things from a few weeks/months ago and got the thread locked 

That was not my fault. Someone said horizon sucked and made an absurd statement that is rdr2 was better. I just said its a gr8 game and comes in my top 3 if not top.

• Like 1

Climbing sucks. Thankfully we don't get to climb too much.

Not sure about the machine jumping thing.

My biggest gripe with this game was its lackluster RPG mechanics and customization.

Let's just forget Melee in this game even exist lol.

1 hour ago, KnackChap said:

The climbing is not broken but it's scripted, handholding stuff like uncharted. The sequel has free climbing like AC or infamous. 

Well yea its scripted but only into some storyline areas. Well OK yea, not broken, thats not the right word.

Yea I know abt the free climbing. Read it somewhere accidentally. Hope its not as buggy as ac odyssey climbing. Kas just randomly stops climbing at random.

19 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Climbing sucks. Thankfully we don't get to climb too much.

Not sure about the machine jumping thing.

My biggest gripe with this game was its lackluster RPG mechanics and customization.

Let's just forget Melee in this game even exist lol.

The jump is only for snapmaws and requires tedious timing. The snapmaw is almost flat on ground so the jump height is enough to dodge if well timed. The ropecaster is a fascinating feature. Try it once. Single rope not full tie down and move away. Mellee is very basic use. The heavy attack works out well and overriding. That's as far as its effective use goes. In the second game u can climb anything so to escape the corner spot or if u r backup against a wall, u can just turn and climb up.

Edited by Horizon Days Dawn

4 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

Ropecaster and sticky glue bombs, keep distance, never get backed into a wall. Plan ahead with trip wires and kite them into it.

• Like 1

GoW has no doubt, amazing combat. Playing it now. Loving it. But if u were to ask me for the best combat I would say horizon zero dawn without a second thought. It beats FF7 R combat also which was awesome (almost on par with GoW) but in FF7 R it didn't feel smooth because of all the menu's u have to use midcombat even with the shortcuts. The combat was awesome but doesn't compare. Yes, I agree HZD has only 2 mellee moves but the fact that there are 2 spears that is hers and the sylens lance, and like 10 diff types of ranged weapons, I would say its not a hack n slash close quarters but a ranged weapons type game.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the base game few days ago.

Absolutely loved it. 9/10 Game. Spent 70 hrs in this game lol. 

I went and got all the collectibles, did all the side quests. Cleared the map. 

Story was great. Was a joy discovering what happened to the old civilisation. 

Few nitpicks:

- Inventory gets full very fast. Wish there was a better way to manage it. Felt like a chore sorting through it. Some essential items like Fatty Meat is way too rare and infrequent. 

- Really wished I could equip more weapons. Going into the menu to swap kind of sucked. Maybe bind it to the 1-10 keys on the keyboard.

- "Call an overriden mount" skill is at the very end of the skill tree for some reason. This is something other games like RDR and AC give you right from the start. There were many times I wished I had this skill before the end. 

- Some weird facial animations 

- Fighting the flying machines was frustrating as f**k. Especially glinthawks.  

Will take a break and then play Frozen Wilds. 

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

- Really wished I could equip more weapons. Going into the menu to swap kind of sucked. Maybe bind it to the 1-10 keys on the keyboard. - Try playing with controller , had no such issues

- "Call an overriden mount" skill is at the very end of the skill tree for some reason. This is something other games like RDR and AC give you right from the start. There were many times I wished I had this skill before the end. -Thats because you need the staff upgrade to override them, which show up late in the game. Guess thats why the upgrade is also far down the upgrade tree.

- Some weird facial animations - Yeah thats def a issue. But its improved a lot in the DLC

- Fighting the flying machines was frustrating as f**k. Especially glinthawks.   - Ropecaster and bombs

On 11/9/2021 at 2:59 PM, dylanjosh said:

Finished the base game few days ago.

Absolutely loved it. 9/10 Game. Spent 70 hrs in this game lol. 

I went and got all the collectibles, did all the side quests. Cleared the map. 

Story was great. Was a joy discovering what happened to the old civilisation. 

Few nitpicks:

- Inventory gets full very fast. Wish there was a better way to manage it. Felt like a chore sorting through it. Some essential items like Fatty Meat is way too rare and infrequent. 

- Really wished I could equip more weapons. Going into the menu to swap kind of sucked. Maybe bind it to the 1-10 keys on the keyboard.

- "Call an overriden mount" skill is at the very end of the skill tree for some reason. This is something other games like RDR and AC give you right from the start. There were many times I wished I had this skill before the end. 

- Some weird facial animations 

- Fighting the flying machines was frustrating as f**k. Especially glinthawks.  

Keep your ridgewood limited to 1000 ish

I used to have that alone like 3 - 4000 occupying space. Sparkers limit to 200, 2 slots. Sell of your hearts and lenses after buying all weapons. Even the main resources can be limited to 2 rows. That's it.

Killing boars hives you all types of meat. Smaller animals give mostly rich meat which is rare.

Keeping all weapons equipped will overpower. 4 is already good enough if you assign before major fights.

You can manually override a mount until you get the skill. AC she has her own horse. Here you override your horses.

Check the weaknesses. Take em out as fast and efficiently as you can. Use 1 topecaster wire to pin them down so they can't fly but can do ranged attacks. That takes 2 secs and very useful. You can tie them down all the way but its useless.

I started playing this last week and damn is this game amazing!

My mom saw me play the first few hours and she got totally hooked. I have explicit instructions from her to not play this game without her :P , she wants to see the entire story play out.

PS5 paisa wasool already :D

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 2:59 PM, dylanjosh said:

You'll find new machines to kill equivalent to Polar Bears/Grizzlies.

You're probably over leveled now, you see them, you fight them head on.