Final Fantasy VII: Remake

IshmaelIsBack

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 7:29 PM, 0verlord said:

Finished this yesterday, a superb very fleshed-out game. Ending is confusing and I hate these whispers - so many why, when, who and whats

started dlc - combat looks more fun compared to base game 

I'd suggest watching a story summary of the original FF7 game if you don't intend to play it. That way some of your questions will be answered, and sequel FF7Rebirth diverges storyline anyway so nothing will be spoilt.

Edit: Second thought, there might be some similarity. 

Edited by gecko89
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Bump!

So started playing this some few weeks back on ps5 (it’s on ps extra, so why not ?! :D).  Anyway, loving the gameplay which is a good mix of turn based and real time action.  In chapter 7 now, and I’m surprised how linear the game has become all of a sudden ! While I'm currently liking the linear design with brilliant cut scenes, I'm hoping it’ll open up again after a few more chapters.  Also being a jrpg , I was expecting lot of grinding but this is playing just like any other action rpg !

If any of you still remember, any idea what’s the use of those purple materia and how to use it correctly? I’ve one auto cure equipped but it doesn’t work and I’ve to keep using potions in between which is a real annoyance <_<

3 hours ago, Ne0 said:

Bump!

So started playing this some few weeks back on ps5 (it’s on ps extra, so why not ?! :D).  Anyway, loving the gameplay which is a good mix of turn based and real time action.  In chapter 7 now, and I’m surprised how linear the game has become all of a sudden ! While I'm currently liking the linear design with brilliant cut scenes, I'm hoping it’ll open up again after a few more chapters.  Also being a jrpg , I was expecting lot of grinding but this is playing just like any other action rpg !

If any of you still remember, any idea what’s the use of those purple materia and how to use it correctly? I’ve one auto cure equipped but it doesn’t work and I’ve to keep using potions in between which is a real annoyance <_<

If I remember correctly that materia is for your party members, not yourself. Aerith has proven the best support and suited for these kinds of materia. The purple materia are usually HP,MP up and other boosters for AP, XP and several others. This game is about using your commands regularly to survive. It's the crucial part of the combat system.

I'm playing FF7 Rebirth right now and they have upgraded the combat system even further named as synergy system. You'll be using more of these commands than in remake. 

• Thanks 1

Completed chapter 7 yesterday, the end boss fight was brutal !  Unlike other jrpgs this game doesn’t give an option to grind and there was no option to go back and get stronger lol 😂 

BTW, are all these FF games related ? For ex can I play ff16 after this and play ff7:rebirth later ?

5 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

Completed chapter 7 yesterday, the end boss fight was brutal !  Unlike other jrpgs this game doesn’t give an option to grind and there was no option to go back and get stronger lol 😂 

BTW, are all these FF games related ? For ex can I play ff16 after this and play ff7:rebirth later ?

No, FF games are not related unless they are specifically mentioned as part 2 of a game. For example, FF8 or FF16 is not related to FF7 at all, but you have FF7 - Part 2 (FF7 Rebirth) which is related and a pure sequel to FF7 Remake. Same way - FF11 is not related to FF10, but FF10-2 is a sequel to FF10 etc.

You can easily play FF16 after this game. Story will not be related at all. There are only some small things (Easter Eggs) that are there across all FFs - but even they are not related. For example - there will always be a character called Cid in every FF game. But the Cid of every FF games are completely different people unrelated to each other, there will be chocobos etc.

23 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

23hours in, just reached 'Under Junon'.

Taking my sweet time with everything, can see why this got so many perfect scores. 

Wrong thread .. lol 

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 12:46 PM, Ne0 said:

They arent connected but ff16 is boring. It plays like a generic hack and slash game

Just now, playstationdude said:

They arent connected but ff16 is boring. It plays like a generic hack and slash game

:(

i purchased it on a discount offer sometime back after reading all the glowing reviews !

2 hours ago, playstationdude said:

@Ne0

Completely disagree with this, FF16 is a fabulous game. Best boss fights in any FF game including the new FF7 Rebirth and I'm at 70% in that game. 

It's one of the game which actually feels like next gen. It's it's not comparable with old FF games and storyline isn't connected at all but it's a game you shouldn't miss. 

2 hours ago, Ne0 said:

:(

i purchased it on a discount offer sometime back after reading all the glowing reviews !

Reviews are right, you'll have fun. Just don't compare it with other FF games like some did. 

22 hours ago, Heaven Angel said:

Reviews are right, you'll have fun. Just don't compare it with other FF games like some did. 

That’s a relief :D

will probably start ff16 after ff7:remake is completed.  Or maybe play something else in between and will then get back to FF World !

Coming back to this game, while I love the combat, story and the cut scenes (almost movie grade) , what stands out (imo) is the music.  It’s so soothing at times ,I feel that just playing this game after a long day is a big stress buster despite the difficult boss fights at the end of every chapter !

Also they could’ve made it a bit open, the game is way too linear for a jrpg.  I mean, I can’t even go back and grind some more to prepare better and the only option is to just lower the difficulty or keep changing tactics/swap materia !  

Edited by Ne0

On 3/15/2024 at 9:17 PM, playstationdude said:

FF16 has one of the most engaging and stunning boss fights imo and they are presented in spectacular way and when you overcome you really feel that clive achieved that victory and that link between gameplay and story/protagonist is a rare feeling in games nowadays.