Shenmue III

IshmaelIsBack

Shenmue 3 Official PC System Requirements, will require 100GB of free hard-disk space

Shenmue 3 Official PC Requirements

Minimum:OS: Windows 7×64, Windows 8×64, Windows 10×64 (64-bit OS Required)

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB Required)

DirectX: Version 11

Network: Broadband internet connection

Storage: 100 GB available space

Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Additional Info: Requires Steam Client to activate

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/shenmue-3-official-pc-system-requirements-will-require-100gb-of-free-hard-disk-space/

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Shadoken said:

Damn they nailed the feel and atmosphere. I just hope the combat gets a little better. 

Speaking as one who is not much of a fighting game (Tekken/SF or whatever - especially the older ones) player and using only what I played of Shenmue 1 and 2 on Xbox One X as comparison - yes I absolutely 100% agree with you. Combat is a chore in the older games, and control just does not feel intuitive. Especially camera is bad and most of the times I just feel lucky if I get through the fights.

Also really hope they improve the mandatory mini-games. If I have to once again take out book stacks from the library without tripping - Yu Suzuki might just hear about it.

Yu sukuzi is literally the creator of the 3d fighting genre and the combat system in s1&2 is based of virtua fighter 3, a series which is considered by many as the best in business. Its just that the combat system hasn't aged well at all. Even in yakuza the older vf games are janky as hell while tekken still holds up. Here the fighting looks a floaty and dumbed down.

And I don't think that book stack stuff was a mini game, it's a pain in the a*s yes but it's a classic martial art movie trope where the master makes to do some odd random stuff for days before teaching you a special move. 

21 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

Yu sukuzi is literally the creator of the 3d fighting genre and the combat system in s1&2 is based of virtua fighter 3, a series which is considered by many as the best in business. Its just that the combat system hasn't aged well at all. Even in yakuza the older vf games are janky as hell while tekken still holds up. Here the fighting looks a floaty and dumbed down.

All that's fine. Hence why I said I'm not a fighting game player. Just love RPGs with good story - hence love Shenmue. Not a fan of the combat.

Also this time, I at least hope that they use the analog stick in combat and allow better movement and camera control. I could also feel a bit of input lag between button presses and the actual action. All that should have been included in the remaster itself. At least hope they do add those improvements in the new one.

21 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

And I don't think that book stack stuff was a mini game, it's a pain in the a*s yes but it's a classic martial art movie trope where the master makes to do some odd random stuff for days before teaching you a special move. 

Oh but at least take pity on the poor player. It's Ryo who learns the martial arts, but the player who has to take the pain of the stupid button inputs. Ryo is literally getting the moves for free. Next time please only challenge Ryo by a cutscene of the task instead of the poor controlling player in another world.

But anyway, I still consider those mini-games, much like the forklift in the first one. It's not regular gameplay or combat. Just a mandatory pain we have to go through for a set duration.

But seriously, I don't have much hope for this one. Having a pain in the a** mini-game required to progress seems to be a Shenmue trademark. And it seems to be forklifts again this time considering past images and trailers that were revealed.

Edited by roun90

Combat in Shenmue 1 and 2 were cutting edge for the time. Nobody could imagine having a fighting game system in a RPG/Adventure game.

But playing it now it will show its age. Sadly if this game probably dont have the resources to make the combat that good. If this was made in house at SEGA , they could have used the Virtua Fighter 5 engine for the combat. 

Fkin Sega man , they shoulda just made this game. Instead we get DeepSilver,Epic games and a whole lot of other BS involved in this.

10 hours ago, Shadoken said:

Fkin Sega man , they shoulda just made this game. Instead we get DeepSilver,Epic games and a whole lot of other BS involved in this.

I absolutely agree with you man!! Look at the love SEGA is showing to Yakuza. If SEGA had still been involved with Shenmue, we would probably be seeing the end of the Shenmue saga by now - as envisioned by Yu Suzuki (He had said that multiple games were required to end he story). Now it's confirmed that the 3rd game is definitely not ending the story. Wonder why SEGA lost interest in the series? That too to the point that they completely gave away the rights back to Yu Suzuki and his small indie company. Something no company generally does. They definitely had it in them to pull the series to success. Heck they even made Yakuza almost mainstream after Yakuza 0, something that we thought was not possible. If SEGA could make Yakuza a success, they definitely could have made Shenmue a success as well. 

Also I wonder how Yu Suzuki plans to finish Ryo's saga. It might have been better if he had finished the story off with the 3rd game, and started a new story if he wanted to develop more games.

Hype was through the roof when Shenmue 3's kickstarter was announced. But now - with the multiple delays, some bad trailers (especially those where facial animations were not added) and the Deep Silver/Epic BS - hype seems to have fizzled out for most, and bad opinions for YS Net/Yu Suzuki have come from PC only gamers.

I'll personally get the game on PS4, but I wonder whether the game will succeed and whether we will see the end. Or be stuck with another cliffhanger for potentially forever?

On 9/12/2019 at 11:17 PM, roun90 said:

I absolutely agree with you man!! Look at the love SEGA is showing to Yakuza. If SEGA had still been involved with Shenmue, we would probably be seeing the end of the Shenmue saga by now - as envisioned by Yu Suzuki (He had said that multiple games were required to end he story). Now it's confirmed that the 3rd game is definitely not ending the story. Wonder why SEGA lost interest in the series? That too to the point that they completely gave away the rights back to Yu Suzuki and his small indie company. Something no company generally does. They definitely had it in them to pull the series to success. Heck they even made Yakuza almost mainstream after Yakuza 0, something that we thought was not possible. If SEGA could make Yakuza a success, they definitely could have made Shenmue a success as well. 

Also I wonder how Yu Suzuki plans to finish Ryo's saga. It might have been better if he had finished the story off with the 3rd game, and started a new story if he wanted to develop more games.

Hype was through the roof when Shenmue 3's kickstarter was announced. But now - with the multiple delays, some bad trailers (especially those where facial animations were not added) and the Deep Silver/Epic BS - hype seems to have fizzled out for most, and bad opinions for YS Net/Yu Suzuki have come from PC only gamers.

I'll personally get the game on PS4, but I wonder whether the game will succeed and whether we will see the end. Or be stuck with another cliffhanger for potentially forever?

Sega Japan have always been oblivious to the West and their interests. It is why they more or less sabotaged the entire Sega console line just to get success in Japan. 

The Shenmue III announcement hype far outweighed any other SEGA game announcement for the past two decades.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG the backer demo is here ... its everything i always wanted.

I was worried about the combat , but that seems fine to me too. A bit rough on the animation when you hit them and stuff but its very responsive and quite fluid.

pVM83yg.jpg

Edited by Shadoken

Holy sh*t this demo is legit. Thought yu suzuki forgot to make game's after seeing some unfinished unpolished stuff from last year but all my fears vanished after playing the demo. 

For starters I didn't even finish the demo objective and my day ended even before going to the martial arts school. Full impression after completing demo, this time I'll focus on completing it. 

Finished it and loved it. 

They absolutely nailed the feeling of the past 2 game's so much so that it's hard to imagine that it's been almost 2 decades since the last game. Not only does the game transport Ryu back into the 1980's but it also sends the user back it time with time and it feels like a game from early 2000's that has been remastered from the ground up. 

- the game looks beautiful and has a very clean look to it. Not much in terms of post processing  effects or filters going on. The day night cycle flows beautifully and effects the world and npc like old games. 

- character models (both player and npc) are ok'ish and they go for  a stylised look rather than hyper realism like Yakuza. Even in the demo there are a bunch of colorful characters and conversations with them are a joy (esp ryo's deadpan reaction). Unlike Yakuza, the npc are all voiced and have great personality which can be seen during normal gameplay and not cutscenes. 

- from the demo it s a no compromise shenmue title. I think every shenmue fan was worried if the title would feel compromised given the small budget. I don't know how They pulled it off but this feels like a proper full blown shenmue title. Searching cabinets, knocking on neighbors door, interacting with almost each and every character, great attention to detail etc etc

- lots of small little details. Like one guy training martial arts to the kids in the village and all of them are unsynchronized while the professionals at the dojo are synchronized. Another one was when I was asking for directions and all the npc had their own unique style of telling me where to go. Like the old guy tells to asks his wife l, a fat martial arts guy tells ryo that it's too tough to go and one female character hits on ryo while asking about his relationship with the female lead. There must've been more npc with their own stories and this is just for a single location ryo asks. It's also optional so you might not even see it. 

- fighting system is good. It's not as simple as some were making it out to be but it's much more streamlined from the previous games. 

- the menu and general UI feels dated. Worst since psasbr. It's probably intentional as they wanted to keep it closer to the old titles. 

- lip synching is atrocious. People are saying they matched it to the Japanese voices. 

Overall judging by the demo the full game is going to be a no nonsense sequel that caters mainly to the shenmue loyalist. It has this dated look to it but one you start playing it pulls you right in. I had average expectations from this title despite being a 100$ backer, mainly because the of the no name development team after playing the demo I can't wait for the full title. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...