KnackChap

We knew Media Molecule was swinging for the fences with Dreams, but it wasn’t until I sat down to see it in person that I truly realized what they’ve achieved here. They’ve created an honest-to-goodness game development engine that anybody with a PS4 can dive into. One where every aspect of game creation comes together seamlessly in a single creative palette.

PS Blog : Anybody Can Make a Game in Dreams… No, Really

Variety is in the DNA of Dreams' creation tools, and it's permeated the game's built-in campaign as well. It seems playing Dreams won't be a singular experience; we were shown different snippets of the main "game" within Dreams, and it flitted from being an action-adventure, to a puzzle platformer, to a straight-up adventure in the vein of classic LucasArts titles.

Gamespot:PS4 Exclusive Dreams Is Impressive, But Can It Also Make You An Artist?

Dreams will be phenomenal tool for both making stuff and playing stuff, one that will accommodate a variety of players and whatever level of dedication they’re willing to give it. There’s definitely a learning curve to overcome, but it’s mostly about familiarity with the relatively simple controls and menus. The potential of the package really is kind of amazing, though. Dreams has a stunning number of capabilities, but none of them feels daunting or out of reach. Rather, this feels like something that could teach and embolden a new generation of game creators — and it’ll be fun to just play, too.

Digital Trends: Making games in Dreams is as fun and easy as it looks

Basically, if you can imagine it, you'll be able to create it in Dreams. Members of the pre-release community are already deviating from conventional game styles to create everything from short films to static paintings to music videos. I'm genuinely excited to see what emerges once this game is released publicly.

Engadget: 'Dreams' makes imagination manifest on the PS4. If you can think it, you can create it.

We do not deserve Media Molecule. Hands on with Dreams, the dazzling game and toy box of artistic tools, it's immediately clear that my talents are not worthy of its potential. But somehow, building a wonky world for Francis the fox character, and creating my own soundtrack for it like a budget Clint Mansell, none of it mattered. Media Molecule's magic had fired up the part of my brain that made childhood art classes or a new pack of felt tips such a thrill, and I forget about the time ticking away, the EDM thud of the event venue, or even the smells of the hot pretzel bites.

Gamesradar: PS4's Dreams is a toy box of delights, even when you're trying to build a nightmare.

• Like 1

Wow. Those previews! :good:

But seriously, MM are one studio who I can trust blindly with creativity or trying something new altogether. They proved it with LBP and Tearaway both.

And this game is basically, LBP on steroids.

Edit: Dreams will have PS VR support directly from launch.

Edited by VelivolusDas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

First review: http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/dreams

It may have taken the better part of a decade to make, but the arrival of Dreams feels significant. It represents a whole new way for people to make things and share them with the world. Media Molecule has made a suite of tools that feels intuitive to use, but more than that, it's built a social platform where players can collaborate and explore the imaginations of others. It's a technical marvel, a creative miracle, and one of the most innovative games in years.

Pros:

- Tools offer near limitless creative freedom

- DreamSurfing is an endless joy

- Art's Dream is a wonderful introduction

- Excellent presentation throughout

- Comprehensive tutorials

Cons:

- Getting good is a real time investment

- Fiddly controls at times

- Homespace doesn't add much

10/10

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 2:24 AM, Walker said:

Good to see a nice score. You have to appreciate sony for allowing MM to continue with a game that seems hard to define. Waiting for launch.

Indeed. Sony is not known to back off. They made TLG happen so mad props to sony.

This is indeed the best time for Dreams to come out considering the large install base now.