Protect PS4 from power cuts and surge.

kmkaks

Sorry for reviving this old topic, but am facing the same issue.  My inverter is not sine wave and hence my PS4 Pro won't work on it.  My PC at MAX LOAD works but PS4 Pro doesn't even turn on.

Everyone is recommending an APC inverter, but I searched on their website and also called their customer care.  They said that they (Schneider Electric) have bought out Luminous and have stopped the production of Home Inverter models of APC.  They literally recommended me to get a Luminous inverter.  Now, I'm a little confused.  Any suggestions?

6 hours ago, Kazekage Gaara said:

Sorry for reviving this old topic, but am facing the same issue.  My inverter is not sine wave and hence my PS4 Pro won't work on it.  My PC at MAX LOAD works but PS4 Pro doesn't even turn on.

Everyone is recommending an APC inverter, but I searched on their website and also called their customer care.  They said that they (Schneider Electric) have bought out Luminous and have stopped the production of Home Inverter models of APC.  They literally recommended me to get a Luminous inverter.  Now, I'm a little confused.  Any suggestions?

I'd say go with Luminous.

My APC UPS didn't work with Pro, got a Luminous one based on suggestion from some members here and it's been working quite well thus far.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, quixote_1989 said:

I'd say go with Luminous.

My APC UPS didn't work with Pro, got a Luminous one based on suggestion from some members here and it's been working quite well thus far.

Nice.  Thanx for the info.  Which model of Luminous inverter do you have?

18 minutes ago, quixote_1989 said:

UNO 1000. Costs around 4.5k.

This is a UPS.  I need an inverter (external battery).  Already have one working just fine, but it's old model and square wave and hence PS4 Pro is not working on it.

Am checking out Luminous inverters such as Zelio+ 1700 and Su-Kam ones.  Need to do more research.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, this is my conclusion on this topic after extensive testing over the past few days. I have used both microtek 650va(360w) and 1000va(550w) ups with both ps4 pro and ps4 slim, connected to a 32 inch Sony tv rated at 123W max. 

Conclusion:

If you are using a ps4 pro, a 1000 va UPS is must.

If you are using  ps4 slim, a 650 va ups will suffice, provided your Tv isn’t too power hungry(less than 150w), like an old plasma. 

Here are my testing results:

1. PS4 slim with 650va ups on home screen starts beeping indicating low battery after around 9 mins, when the ups battery is fully charged.

2. PS4 slim with 650va ups, playing god of war, lasts around 5 mins before the low battery indicator starts beeping, when ups is fully charged.

3. PS4 pro with 650va ups lasts around 5 mins in home screen, before low battery indicator starts beeping, when ups is fully charged.

4. PS4 pro with 650va ups, playing digital copy of days gone lasts just less than a minute before low battery indicator starts beeping, when ups is fully charged.

5. PS4 pro with 650va ups, playing disk copy of god of war in 4K mode, couldn’t handle the load. The PS4 pro shut off as soon as power switch  was turned off.

6. Ps4 pro with 1000va ups, playing disk copy of god of war in 4K mode, lasted more than 5 mins before low battery indicator started to beep. This can easily extend to over 10 mins if you put the pro on rest mode.

**Disclaimer: all the tests were conducted using brand new UPS, so your on battery time may vary with UPS battery degradation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@kmkaks Thanks for the above post. Is this the 650 model you were using? https://jkbatteryshop.in/product/microtek-tuff-power-pro-650va-computer-ups/

I am looking for a UPS to support PS4 Pro+Projector+PSVR(sometimes). What would you suggest? Googled a lot but couldn't find details on Watts the projector is consuming. Even if it can support these devices for a couple of mins that's enough as there is power back up in my building which takes a min max to kick in. Also I assume you haven't faced that square wave related issue discussed by @quixote_1989 @Kazekage Gaara above. 

If anyone else has any suggestion, please let me know. Thanks.

40 minutes ago, Bauji said:

@kmkaks Thanks for the above post. Is this the 650 model you were using? https://jkbatteryshop.in/product/microtek-tuff-power-pro-650va-computer-ups/

I am looking for a UPS to support PS4 Pro+Projector+PSVR(sometimes). What would you suggest? Googled a lot but couldn't find details on Watts the projector is consuming. Even if it can support these devices for a couple of mins that's enough as there is power back up in my building which takes a min max to kick in. Also I assume you haven't faced that square wave related issue discussed by @quixote_1989 @Kazekage Gaara above. 

My 1000 VA UPS cannot support the PS4 Pro and my TV together. 

2 hours ago, Bauji said:

For PS4 Pro plus VR plus projector you would need at least a 1500va UPS, I doubt even 1500va will be sufficient since a google search states that a projector will consume 300w and the psvr around 20w on average, which is almost three times that of my tv.

Edited by kmkaks

1 hour ago, quixote_1989 said:

Ah that’s fascinating? Which tv do you use? How much is it’s wattage consumption?

6 hours ago, kmkaks said:

Ah that’s fascinating? Which tv do you use? How much is it’s wattage consumption?

TV is LG C9. Unfortunately, I have not been able to dig up its wattage.

Edit: FlatpanelsHD claims its 195W for HDR and 146W for SDR.

Edited by quixote_1989

18 hours ago, quixote_1989 said:

17 hours ago, kmkaks said:

For PS4 Pro plus VR plus projector you would need at least a 1500va UPS, I doubt even 1500va will be sufficient since a google search states that a projector will consume 300w and the psvr around 20w on average, which is almost three times that of my tv.

Thanks. Will check 1000va then just to support PS4 & PSVR then. Any other recommendation apart from microtek?

1 hour ago, Bauji said:

Thanks. Will check 1000va then just to support PS4 & PSVR then. Any other recommendation apart from microtek?

I would suggest either APC (1100 VA) or Luminous UNO (1000 VA).

19 hours ago, kmkaks said:

+1

2 hours ago, Bauji said:

Thanks. And any input on that sine wave/square wave issue? @kmkaks

Well, both the APC and Luminous UPS work well for PS4 Pro. Always kicks in instantly during power cuts.

So, you should be alright with either.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bauji said:

Thanks. And any input on that sine wave/square wave issue? @kmkaks

Yeah I agree with Quixote, same with the microtek,  It kicks in as soon as the power cut occurs with no issues whatsoever. The microtek is modified sine wave, I don’t think it matters for ps4.

Edited by kmkaks
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, quixote_1989 said:

TV is LG C9. Unfortunately, I have not been able to dig up its wattage.

Edit: FlatpanelsHD claims its 195W for HDR and 146W for SDR.

Oh, well that’s interesting, I am getting a few minutes time with my tv, maybe your battery has aged?

16 minutes ago, kmkaks said:

Oh, well that’s interesting, I am getting a few minutes time with my tv, maybe your battery has aged?

Nope, the UPS is not too old. Besides, I'm not even looking for minutes, just for the tv and ps4 to not shut off instantly when there is a power cut.

I have tried putting the tv solo to a 600 VA UPS (360W) and results are more interesting there.

For certain content, the TV power draw exceeds the UPS capacity (UPS starts beeping). Happens is very specific scenarios, like-

> Some YouTube videos

> Some PS4 games.

So, I have just taken the TV off UPS entirely. Plan is to buy a second 1100/1000 VA UPS once the lockdown is lifted.