Happy Independence Day

AtheK

8-year-old gets bravery award for rescuing brother

Eight-year-old Mahika could not figure out what was happening around her, but she was certain of one thing — she had to save her brother from the deluge surrounding them. On June 15, 2013, her family was praying at the Gaurikund Temple near Kedarnath when they got caught in the Uttarakhand floods.

Separated from her mother, she single-handedly ensured her brother made it to safety.

For her actions, Mahika was presented with the bravery award by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday. But it is not her first. She was among the 25 children who received the President’s National Bravery Award on January 24, 2014. She was conferred the highest honour — the Bharat Award.

Mahika and her brother Dhairya were travelling with their mother to Kedarnath as part of a 16-member group while their father stayed behind in Delhi. Recounting the incident, Mahika’s mother Renu Gupta said, “We did not even have time to think. I have no idea how and when I was separated from my family. The next thing I knew, I was floating in the river.”

https://in.news.yahoo.com/8-old-gets-bravery-award-232300828.html

tremendous bravery and caring showed by this child. :majesty: God bless.

Archived