Ni-OH

KnackChap

You are the one who called out people for liking games like uc4 in a separate thread and how they are just movie and not really games. You should yourself appreciate different types of games first before blaming others for doing the same.

The fuk ? Saying uncharted gameplay is boring and focus on cinematica means it's form of story telling is bad ?

Many games have same form of story telling as uncharted including games I like , almost 90% of the games are like this. What you are saying makes no sense. Saying uncharted is a meh/generic or boring game is different from saying it's form of story telling is bad.

@Razpor, Ah I wasn't aware that you have played and finished Demon's and Dark Souls. I find it strange that you still think the gameplay is punishing despite that. Then again, I do understand that it's up to personal preference in the end. For example I acknowledge that Uncharted is a great series but I feel absolutely no sense of accomplishment after playing it, so it's all cool.

Here's how my own experience with the Souls series went...

I bought Demon's Souls after all the crazy hype it got back when it came out. I played about 2-3 hours, got extremely frustrated, couldn't even beat Phalanx! I kept playing with the "this is a hard game, it's almost unfair" mindset and simply gave up even before the game allowed me to level up. I sold the game and thought I'd never go back to it.

Years later I bought Dark Souls on a whim, like Demon's the first few hours were frustrating as hell. But then I managed to defeat the Taurus Demon and it was a such a rush. The kind you'd only get from gaming. In hindsight, it's actually such an easy boss but it boosted my confidence and I knew I could tackle the game from that point on. Let's just say I absolutely fell in love the series after I finished it. I bought Demon's Souls again and loved it, parts of it are actually even better than Dark Souls (Tower of Latria). I've played every entry 5-6 times each. I still replay Bloodborne every couple of months just because I still can't get enough of the gameplay.

The fuk ? Saying uncharted gameplay is boring and focus on cinematica means it's form of story telling is bad ?

Many games have same form of story telling as uncharted including games I like , almost 90% of the games are like this. What you are saying makes no sense. Saying uncharted is a meh/generic or boring game is different from saying it's form of story telling is bad.

Calling it a movie game and ridiculing it for that is not equal to not liking the gameplay of it. That is the criticism of storytelling and not the game per say.

Calling it a movie game and ridiculing it for that is not equal to not liking the gameplay of it. That is the criticism of storytelling and not the game per say.

I don't get what you are saying. Ridiculing it as a movie game is exactly the same as saying the gameplay is boring. Because the forcus is on cinematics sequences and cutscenes.

Also tbh I don't really think of it as a bad game , just not Goty worthy by any means and that's why that comment in that thread.

I don't get what you are saying. Ridiculing it as a movie game is exactly the same as saying the gameplay is boring. Because the forcus is on cinematics sequences and cutscenes.

Also tbh I don't really think of it as a bad game , just not Goty worthy by any means and that's why that comment in that thread.

My bad then. My point is that some people actually look down on games such as UC purely because it blends cinematic sequences with decent gameplay. Such people irk me.

@Razpor, Ah I wasn't aware that you have played and finished Demon's and Dark Souls. I find it strange that you still think the gameplay is punishing despite that. Then again, I do understand that it's up to personal preference in the end. For example I acknowledge that Uncharted is a great series but I feel absolutely no sense of accomplishment after playing it, so it's all cool.

Here's how my own experience with the Souls series went...

I bought Demon's Souls after all the crazy hype it got back when it came out. I played about 2-3 hours, got extremely frustrated, couldn't even beat Phalanx! I kept playing with the "this is a hard game, it's almost unfair" mindset and simply gave up even before the game allowed me to level up. I sold the game and thought I'd never go back to it.

Years later I bought Dark Souls on a whim, like Demon's the first few hours were frustrating as hell. But then I managed to defeat the Taurus Demon and it was a such a rush. The kind you'd only get from gaming. In hindsight, it's actually such an easy boss but it boosted my confidence and I knew I could tackle the game from that point on. Let's just say I absolutely fell in love the series after I finished it. I bought Demon's Souls again and loved it, parts of it are actually even better than Dark Souls (Tower of Latria). I've played every entry 5-6 times each. I still replay Bloodborne every couple of months just because I still can't get enough of the gameplay.

Anyone who has played even one of the souls game would relate with this.

I said punishing ,because that's how you feel ,when you are in the process ,in the interim,but there is no denying that it is also the same nature of the gameplay and structure that makes it incredibly rewarding when you beat a boss and sense of accomplishment is unmatched,no denying that.

My bad then. My point is that some people actually look down on games such as UC purely because it blends cinematic sequences with decent gameplay. Such people irk me.

Nah my comment was a reply to someone saying UC4 is the best at everything hence it deserves it.

Sometimes a game with a particular focus can be better than a jack of all trades kinda game.

Nah my comment was a reply to someone saying UC4 is the best at everything hence it deserves it.

Sometimes a game with a particular focus can be better than a jack of all trades kinda game.

Not to forget, one game better than the other in totality is just an opinion.

Dark souls might not be everyone's cup of tea, even I gave it up after some time. The dark dungeons and the point to point traversal had me bored too.

But Bloodborne is on a whole new level. The art direction and level design in BloodBorne is one of the best I've seen in Video games. There were times when I would just look at all the sculptures around after defeating all the enemies in that area. The gameplay, damn, no action game I've played (apart from Ninja Gaiden) has such amazing gameplay. Add the enemy variety, weapons variety and the sheer amount of shortcuts / hidden paths you can open up in the game, the overall experience is mind blowing. The game doesn't cheat you one bit , no where do you feel under powered against an enemy, it's all about skills ! I had a real hard time adjusting to any game after playing BB ! I want to so badly get back to this and play on new game+ mode (face some of the enemies which I could not in the first round, like that guy in the dracula castle or that alien boss).

PS: Why are we discussing BB here btw ? Is Ni-OH by the same developer or something ?

Dark souls might not be everyone's cup of tea, even I gave it up after some time. The dark dungeons and the point to point traversal had me bored too.

But Bloodborne is on a whole new level. The art direction and level design in BloodBorne is one of the best I've seen in Video games. There were times when I would just look at all the sculptures around after defeating all the enemies in that area. The gameplay, damn, no action game I've played (apart from Ninja Gaiden) has such amazing gameplay. Add the enemy variety, weapons variety and the sheer amount of shortcuts / hidden paths you can open up in the game, the overall experience is mind blowing. The game doesn't cheat you one bit , no where do you feel under powered against an enemy, it's all about skills ! I had a real hard time adjusting to any game after playing BB ! I want to so badly get back to this and play on new game+ mode (face some of the enemies which I could not in the first round, like that guy in the dracula castle or that alien boss).

PS: Why are we discussing BB here btw ? Is Ni-OH by the same developer or something ?

Bloodborne pretty much is Dark Souls with a different aesthetic and fighting style on top. The ground rules are the same, the traversal, short-cuts, interconnects are from the same design philosophy.

Bloodborne pretty much is Dark Souls with a different aesthetic and fighting style on top. The ground rules are the same, the traversal, short-cuts, interconnects are from the same design philosophy.

you make it sound like a skinned version of DS , but it's not ! I dont know how was DS on consoles, on PC it pretty much looked crap , like a ps2 game or something ! MAybe that was intentional, but the gothic victorian setting and the fast gameplay of BB made it quite appealing as compared to DS. Also, the levels were bigger and much more open in BB, in DS, it was pretty claustrophobic !

Nioh has some elements from Souls like stamina management, finding shortcuts, bonfires, and you lose souls when you die which you have to recollect again without dying. I would say difficulty but that's already a Team Ninja trademark.

you make it sound like a skinned version of DS , but it's not ! I dont know how was DS on consoles, on PC it pretty much looked crap , like a ps2 game or something ! MAybe that was intentional, but the gothic victorian setting and the fast gameplay of BB made it quite appealing as compared to DS. Also, the levels were bigger and much more open in BB, in DS, it was pretty claustrophobic !

That was a limitation of FROM software's design which was meant to be played on consoles. Nothing to do with PC.

And I did not even say that Bloodborne is a reskinned Souls title.

Level design that is claustrophobic? There are some areas designed around that but even Dark Souls features open expanses.

You are just listing the issues Dark Souls had because of the limitations that FROM software had while designing the game to run on the last generation of consoles.

Here, let me say it again, the underlying game-design, framework and mechanics that are present in Bloodborne are present in Dark Souls too. The only difference is the aesthetic, the pacing of the combat and because Bloodborne has more of a Lovecraftian lore system, they have the insight mechanic which does not feature in Dark Souls.

That was a limitation of FROM software's design which was meant to be played on consoles. Nothing to do with PC.

And I did not even say that Bloodborne is a reskinned Souls title.

Level design that is claustrophobic? There are some areas designed around that but even Dark Souls features open expanses.

You are just listing the issues Dark Souls had because of the limitations that FROM software had while designing the game to run on the last generation of consoles.

Here, let me say it again, the underlying game-design, framework and mechanics that are present in Bloodborne are present in Dark Souls too. The only difference is the aesthetic, the pacing of the combat and because Bloodborne has more of a Lovecraftian lore system, they have the insight mechanic which does not feature in Dark Souls.

Ok

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Bloodborne's combat and gameplay is entirely different though. BB and DS share some common RPG mechanics and the genre , thats about it. I mean you could say they feel similar because of the engine they use , like lighting,physics,animations ..etc. But they are still completely different games , with different focus on how you play.

Doesnt this apply to most games in the same genre. Many TPS and FPS use the same underlying system , but with different Aesthetics,pacing and Weapons.

I still consider them different franchises with different appeal.

Nioh has some elements from Souls like stamina management, finding shortcuts, bonfires, and you lose souls when you die which you have to recollect again without dying. I would say difficulty but that's already a Team Ninja trademark.

What I find weird is that these mechanics are found in so many Action RPGs . Stamina management has been a thing since forever , shortcuts exist in like a million games out there. Losing your currency and progress since death has existed since PSO. And Difficulty has been a Ninja Gaiden trademark since the NES.

I just feel like people call it souls clone because of similar pacing in combat the fact that Souls is the most relevant Action RPG out there right now. I mean it is similar just like how many other games are similar in their genre/sub-genre.

What I find weird is that these mechanics are found in so many Action RPGs . Stamina management has been a thing since forever , shortcuts exist in like a million games out there. Losing your currency and progress since death has existed since PSO. And Difficulty has been a Ninja Gaiden trademark since the NES.

I just feel like people call it souls clone because of similar pacing in combat the fact that Souls is the most relevant Action RPG out there right now. I mean it is similar just like how many other games are similar in their genre/sub-genre.

Not all of them in one game though like Souls.

Bloodborne's combat and gameplay is entirely different though. BB and DS share some common RPG mechanics and the genre , thats about it. I mean you could say they feel similar because of the engine they use , like lighting,physics,animations ..etc. But they are still completely different games , with different focus on how you play.

Doesnt this apply to most games in the same genre. Many TPS and FPS use the same underlying system , but with different Aesthetics,pacing and Weapons.

I still consider them different franchises with different appeal.

I would be inclined to agree, till the point you realise that one studio is behind both the games.

And it can all be traced back to Demon Souls originally.

Again, not saying that Bloodborne is any way poorer for it. Just that elevating one while calling out the other, just for its technical limitations (graphics, spatial layout et al) is hypocritical considering the Souls games were originally designed to run on hardware that was close to two years off its sell by date.

Archived