Streaming Services thread

Aftrunner

1 hour ago, North said:

Yeah, 3 months only on device purchases now I guess.

Haha thank you! I just checked, you can share with 5 people lmao.

Thanks for offering, I'll def ask you if I need it. 

I got 3 months of Apple TV and Arcade with the new corporate phone I just received.

• 5 weeks later...

I am trying to watch 4K HDR content on Disney+ and Prime Video on M1 MB Air on Safari, but Prime shows HD 1080 and Disney+ is not giving any information. How to play 4K content on laptop?

BTW YouTube is able to play 4K HDR without any problem at all. 

Update - got the answers with a quick Google search. Companies and their DRMs. :wallbash:

Edited by him2anshu

• 3 months later...

Netflix drops prices in India.

The company has reduced its popular mobile plan to Rs 149/month from Rs 199/month. The basic plan now costs Rs 199/M instead of Rs 499/month, the standard plan stands at Rs 499/month instead of Rs 649/month and the premium plan is down to Rs 649/month from Rs 799/month.

https://m.economictimes.com/industry/media/entertainment/netflix-india-cuts-prices-across-its-streaming-plans/articleshow/88267582.cms

Edit: One thing is that they are automatically upgrading you to the new plan at the price you paid earlier. I had paid 649 and now the Ultra HD Plan is active on my account instead of the 1080p/2 devices one

Edited by LordSpymaster
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, dante77 said:

They reduced the price in India and repeatedly increasing in US. Hmmmm.... 

Pricing is decided based upon purchasing power parity. We were paying a lot more as compared to Western markets, still are.

Also, TAM is way bigger in India as compared to multiple western markets.

16 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Pricing is decided based upon purchasing power parity

I don't think PPP is of any value here. As it is, most stuff is USD x 100 in INR. 

Most likely, they're in mega expansion phase in India, and US is a saturated market. Don't think they're expecting huge growth in US anytime soon. 

15 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I don't think PPP is of any value here. As it is, most stuff is USD x 100 in INR. 

Most likely, they're in mega expansion phase in India, and US is a saturated market. Don't think they're expecting huge growth in US anytime soon. 

Over the last 6 months, actually a lot of the online service providers like AWS, Google Cloud etc have adopted PPP to some extent unless if it doesn't cover their costs.

They are actually reflecting that in their compensations as well.

Spotify raised its prices in India because it was undercharging and so did YouTube.

Can't compare Amazon because of the difference in logistic cost structure.

Netflix on the other hand was charging way above that metric and their current price is a lot closer.

Although, I agree they didn't just take PPP and made that the defacto, they want to grow here because of stagnation in the US and hence decided to come closer to parity price.

1 hour ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Purchase power is a huge factor for streaming service pricing especially since the marginal cost is very low. By reducing the price, they can increase their market size exponentially. 

Besides that, Netflix value proposition is reducing every day. Their content offering is nowhere near what it was in the beginning. I don't think they are even close to justifying their premium over other services. 

I kinda disagree. While Netflix is really throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, every week or so, you get hit with some gems. 

Anyway, I ain't paying for it, so honestly my opinion is biased. Let's see how long will Jio foot the bill. 

On 1/15/2022 at 5:12 PM, Mr. Comingle said:

Purchase power is a huge factor for streaming service pricing especially since the marginal cost is very low. By reducing the price, they can increase their market size exponentially. 

Besides that, Netflix value proposition is reducing every day. Their content offering is nowhere near what it was in the beginning. I don't think they are even close to justifying their premium over other services. 

Netflix is great because of it's foreign shows. They are investing heavily on it, and it's absolutely amazing what a huge catalogue they have. Korean/Japanese/Chinese/German/Spanish + Anime shows etc. Even tons of nice movies and anime movies. They ecen have the entire Studio Ghibli library - which is mind-blowing. It's really great how they've expanded their library. Their original shows are also sometimes really great.

If it's only American shows though - they are pretty much a flop. If it's American movies only - even more so. They have some really good stuff. But they are not exhaustive. Too many services with different subs have taken their share of the pie.

On 1/15/2022 at 6:51 PM, Mr. Comingle said:

I feel they're going for lowest common denominator drivel most of the time. They have zero filter on what they greenlight as an original. It can be anything from absolute trash to masterpiece (movies are generally trash). 

Besides that, the legacy content is really lacking. There was a time when you could find pretty much any movie or show on nf. Now if I want to see a movie that is more than 5 years old, there is maybe a 10% chance I'll find it on Netflix. I know a lot of it is because of competition but doesn't change the fact that the content is f**ked. 

Yeah 90% of the time I search for a movie on Netflix and it just shows bunch of "related to your search but not actually what you searched." But then I turn on VPN and its there. Feels like we're being short-changed and there's way less content compared to US.