Streaming Services thread

Aftrunner

4 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Yeah 90% of the time I search for a movie on Netflix and it just shows bunch of "related to your search but not actually what you searched." But then I turn on VPN and its there. Feels like we're being short-changed and there's way less content compared to US.

Which VPN you using? How do you get all devices (Apple TV etc) to route through it? 
Been happening all over tbh. The other day I thought of watching a clockwork orange and I could’ve sworn I had seen it on some service, probably Netflix earlier. Now? Nada. How much less would it cost Netflix to not offer content, albeit which would be less in demand, in certain regions? Would these be distribution costs (server, hosting etc) or licensing? 

3 hours ago, achilles said:

Which VPN you using? How do you get all devices (Apple TV etc) to route through it? 
Been happening all over tbh. The other day I thought of watching a clockwork orange and I could’ve sworn I had seen it on some service, probably Netflix earlier. Now? Nada. How much less would it cost Netflix to not offer content, albeit which would be less in demand, in certain regions? Would these be distribution costs (server, hosting etc) or licensing? 

NordVPN, but only when on PC. You can do it via router if it supports dd-wrt, but I just don't bother with it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

NordVPN, but only when on PC. You can do it via router if it supports dd-wrt, but I just don't bother with it.

I swear I read somewhere about the new ownership of both Nord and Express VPNs being in China. They're registered in Panama and British Islands for legal reasons, but have recently been bought by Chinese firms. Just can't find the link now. 

Chinese firms own more then 80% of the topmost VPNs right now.

• Thanks 1

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/netflix-stock-plunges-as-subscriber-growth-worries-deepen-1.5748398

"Netflix delivered its latest quarter of disappointing subscriber growth during the final three months of last year, a trend that management foresees continuing into the new year as tougher competition is undercutting the video streaming leader.

The Los Gatos, Calif., company added 8.3 million worldwide subscribers during the October-December period, about 200,000 fewer than management had forecast. Besides releasing its fourth-quarter results Thursday, Netflix also projected an increase of 2.5 million subscribers during the first three months of this year, well below analysts' expectations for a gain of 4 million, according to FactSet Research.

The disappointing news caused Netflix's stock price to plunge by about 20% in extended trading after the numbers came out, deepening a steep decline during the past two months

Investors, though, are getting more worried that Netflix may be nearing its peak in popularity. Those concerns have caused Netflix's stock price to plummet by more than 40% from its peak of roughly US$700 reached in mid-November."

2 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/netflix-stock-plunges-as-subscriber-growth-worries-deepen-1.5748398

"Netflix delivered its latest quarter of disappointing subscriber growth during the final three months of last year, a trend that management foresees continuing into the new year as tougher competition is undercutting the video streaming leader.

The Los Gatos, Calif., company added 8.3 million worldwide subscribers during the October-December period, about 200,000 fewer than management had forecast. Besides releasing its fourth-quarter results Thursday, Netflix also projected an increase of 2.5 million subscribers during the first three months of this year, well below analysts' expectations for a gain of 4 million, according to FactSet Research.

The disappointing news caused Netflix's stock price to plunge by about 20% in extended trading after the numbers came out, deepening a steep decline during the past two months

Investors, though, are getting more worried that Netflix may be nearing its peak in popularity. Those concerns have caused Netflix's stock price to plummet by more than 40% from its peak of roughly US$700 reached in mid-November."

But what really is expected ? Unlimited continuous growth, ensuring every person on Earth subscribes to NF ? 

There has to be in inflection point, with SO many services vying for attention. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, hazard12345 said:

need to stop investing in hollywood films and go more aggressive on korean and japanese markets.

+100

Most of my Netflix viewing for the past 1-2 years have been only Korean Shows, Japanese Shows, Animes, EU Shows etc. Netflix does very well when it does Foreign non-english shows. Stuff like Money Heist, Narcos, Dark, Queen of the South etc. are brilliant. In addition to this, their catalogue of Korean Shows is mind-boggling. There are so many good shows, that it's difficult to know what to watch. Their anime list is expanding, and I would say it's a very nice catalogue. They generally have the newest animes, with a decent selection of the classics. They have the entire Ghibli Catalogue, which is literally 1000% amazing. Those movies are timeless classics.

But when you come to American shows - Netflix is miserable. Stranger Things is good, and it's all they have going for them. Rest everything else is bad. Movies are horrible. I'm excluding 3rd party licences, where they were able to get some good shows like Better Call Saul or classics like Rush Hour etc. They have some decent animation like Castlevania (That's about all I can think of). Indian Shows are of course absolutely miserable, and Netflix failed completely there.

Overall, Netflix is only worth it for foreign (Non- English) shows (Mainly Japanese and Korean), and their strength there is incredible. They should focus on those. Of course, a lot of Indians don't watch those shows, and it will remain a niche service in India if they do it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Primevideo has started this new sh*t of putting movies on rent. I haven't watched top gun yet and they know that people would be watching that before watching the new top gun movie so they have put the old top gun on rent too. 

Just watched Spiderman No way home( what a shite) on netflix which is also on rent on prime since some time now. What are they trying to pull here?

15 minutes ago, Bhpian Bali said:

Primevideo has started this new sh*t of putting movies on rent. I haven't watched top gun yet and they know that people would be watching that before watching the new top gun movie so they have put the old top gun on rent too. 

Just watched Spiderman No way home( what a shite) on netflix which is also on rent on prime since some time now. What are they trying to pull here?

Yeah that's their new sh*t way of taking our money.they did that with KGF too.

Edited by b!T
  • Like 1