Streaming Services thread

Aftrunner

Is Hotstar streaming any good and is their content uncut? They seem to have decent content. Price is not bad either. 999 for 9 months is not half bad. 

My main issue is that the streaming for free accounts was really absolute garbage. Anytime I watch a match on it, its just constantly buffering even on a 20MB line. 

2 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

CC needed for free trial?

Yes. It auto debits once free trial is expired. So if you don't like then  remember to remove CC.

Apart from some playback issues, content is pretty good on HotStar. Got it for Sarabhai and haven't desubbed yet. Watching Strain right now :)

3 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

Is Hotstar streaming any good and is their content uncut? They seem to have decent content. Price is not bad either. 999 for 9 months is not half bad. 

My main issue is that the streaming for free accounts was really absolute garbage. Anytime I watch a match on it, its just constantly buffering even on a 20MB line. 

It is decent. Content is good, price is really low and streaming works fine.

On 9/10/2017 at 0:27 PM, Big Boss said:

Anyone tried Hooq? 

Content seems decent for India:

https://www.justwatch.com/in/provider/hooq

Just signed up for the free trial for now.

After waiting for almost forever for Gotham Season 3 to show up on Netflix, I was stoked to find it on Hooq.

₹79/month for the content they are providing is not bad at all.

Also, their mobile app is good. Saw almost 2 episodes. Good quality. No lags/crashes at all. :good: It doesn't have English subtitles, though. :(

Having said that, I'm not entirely sure whether I will subscribe after the free trial or not.

P.S.: You can subscribe to the free trial even with a ₹0 PayTM wallet balance.

2 hours ago, adity said:

Amazon Prime showing imdb rating is a huge plus for me. Also, those awesome 10 second jump buttons. Why can't Netflix have those?

If you're referring to IMDB then it's is a subsidiary of Amazon. So the X-Ray feature would probably be exclusive to Amazon. 

I like the Amazon mobile app, but there is one important feature missing and that's the casting option to pair it up with the PS4 app. Amazon's PS4 app is needs to have a better fast forward function, similar to have YouTube or Netflix provides the 10 second scene thumbnail preview seek option. Also, how do you even know if the video on the mobile app has switched to 1080p? 

2 hours ago, adity said:

I am surpised Youtube hasn't come up with a streaming service like netflix till now. It seems to be the perfect platform for it.

Google is going after cabletv/streaming together with YouTube TV it was launched in USA recently 35$ per month. I would be the happiest person if google did something like Netflix service. Cause I recently got ISP with google peering.

I cut the cord with TataSky this month. To hell with bullshit censored crap. Anyway no one in my house has watched TV in the last few months except for my daughter before she leaves for school. Now I'm using my PS3 as a Netflix, Prime, YouTube streaming device on the main TV.

4 hours ago, Walker said:

I cut the cord with TataSky this month. To hell with bullshit censored crap. Anyway no one in my house has watched TV in the last few months except for my daughter before she leaves for school. Now I'm using my PS3 as a Netflix, Prime, YouTube streaming device on the main TV.

I ditched the STB a few months ago as well after realizing I hadnt even turned it on in forever. I didnt even know where the remote was LOL. I have never missed it, only time I remember I used to have it is when someone talks about using STB. 

The hall TV downstairs still has the STB, mostly because my mom and niece still watch a fair bit of it. But that usage has gone down by a large margin since I put a chromecast on that TV. At some point I can see that STB going as well.  

Edited by Aftrunner

I have to retain the STB for my outer hall as mum and dad are pretty much the only ones who watch TV. Ditched Videocon D2H and got the local cable service which gives a bang for buck compared to rest of these big players. 

I haven't even watched TV content in ages now. 

Hotstar Premium - Really good content if you are into HBO shows. Worst viewing experience I have had in any paid service.

It doesnt remember anything. Does not remember what show you are watching. How much of the show you have seen. How much of an episode you saw. Nothing.

So if I quit watching Veep Season 6 episode 4. I have to manually remember that I was watching the 4th episode. When I come back to the Hotstar website, I have to search for Veep manually since it doesnt know I saw that show and wont list it at the top like every other video service. Find the 6th season by scrolling. Find the 4th episode. Find the rough time I was at in the show and start watching from there.

Inexcusable for a paid service. 

Editm ooh gave an option to resume just now.

So they do have the feature. It's just buggy. 

Edited by Aftrunner
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking of ditching STB next month. The Tv in Hall is not a smart Tv and it's only 1080p. So i was thinking getting a Amazon fire stick since it has Hotstar which is important. Any way to get more channel paid or free using apps that can be installed on Amazon Fire Stick