My Den - My gaming world, HT room

AtheK

Well, a couple of months turned into a couple of years. Heh. So, Athek. I thought I'd use professional services or atleast a consultant to get everything done, set up. But, and obviously, they're nudging me to up my budget considerably. I want your thoughts/inputs (also anyone else's here)

Here's where I'm at right now; 

Usage: Movies (duh), games, music, and sporting event get togethers. 

Want:

1. 150" 4K HDR projector + screen. I thought instead of going for a big TV + FHD projector, I'd rather get a better projector itself, as we have a big-ish TV in the living room already for general viewing.

2. Sound system that can shake the floor, and sounds crisp

3. Can handle all modern and near future inputs: consoles, ATV, chromecast/Fire TV, STB, a 4K source, USB etc.

4. Interface that ties it all together; don't want to fiddle with 79 remotes.

Can you link me to a place that has good suggestions, and price brackets? Or, any professional you know that can consult with me on the equipment? 

As an idea, the guy I'm taking to right now tells me that I need to spend 6-7L just on the sound system equipment if I want a proper HT set up. I'm kind of okay with about 3-4. Please chime in. Thanks. 

As far I know, 4K HDR projectors are super expensive. The low-quality ones are simply not worth it. I'd wait for HU80KA to launch for public and see how the market reacts. If the price is right, you can go for it or wait for others to drop their price.

Check out Elite Screens Spectrum / Silver Ticket for the screen. 

Sound system - it depends on room size and the budget. You can find good systems in any range. Check out Polk Audio / Pioneer / KEF with Yamaha receiver and add a good soundbar system too. 

You can play pretty much anything you want on it. And a good universal remote should cover it. 

^Thanks. Sony VPL-VW300ES seems to have good reviews, though I haven't seen it IRL. It costs $5k, so about 25% more than a 65" OLED TV, which would be my alternate choice. I know that I can get a much better 1080p DLP for a lot less, but would it be wise to go for a non HDR 1080 set now, in 2018? 

As for sound, I'm going full retard. This is the only place I have where I can't be asked to "turn it down" by anyone not living in the house. I'll check out the ones you've listed. 

interesting to see the thread bumping up.

Before ican suggest anything let's start from basics

1. What is the viewing distance

2. What is the location where you going to get all the stuff.

3. What kind of sound do you prefer. ok i saw it on your response, this can be taken care of.

4. Stretch the budget to max you can, once this room is done, nothing new gets added so easily. So let's start from what max we can get, then we work around it.

5. What about sound prrofing?

Let's work around that then, rather thena generic suggestion.

^Sure, 

1. Viewing distance would be close to 20 feet. More like 17-18. Will probably sit closer for gaming. 

2. Delhi

4. Total budget of about 6-7, including cabling and installation. Would like 6, can go upto 7. 

5. The room is a bare shell with 9" brick walls. Any sound proofing if required, can be added. 

20 minutes ago, achilles said:

^Sure, 

1. Viewing distance would be close to 20 feet. More like 17-18. Will probably sit closer for gaming. 

2. Delhi

4. Total budget of about 6-7, including cabling and installation. Would like 6, can go upto 7. 

5. The room is a bare shell with 9" brick walls. Any sound proofing if required, can be added. 

You will need sound proofing, mere bricks won't be able to stop the sound. Which floor is this room on, if it's on 1st or second floor, lot of thump will go down, will need sound damper for that too. 

Also if you are from Delhi, can you source a 4k projector from US, Indian prices will be high. 

Edited by AtheK

26 minutes ago, achilles said:

The floor will be damped for sure, yup, it's on the FF. I can, I have a trip lined up in the next few months, though not sure when.Will it be available in Thailand for a good price? ? 

you will need to get some dampening sheets too. No idea about prices in THailand, but cheapest would be US for sure.

One of the best sounding sub, unfortunately not sold in india

https://www.ebay.in/itm/253151044321?aff_source=Sok-Goog

i have this, sounds amazing.

http://www.profx.com/detailpage?brandId_detail=0&catId_detail=17&Id_detail=110&aclass=2&menu=1&calledFrom=0

Edited by AtheK

6 hours ago, achilles said:

Want:

1. 150" 4K HDR projector + screen. I thought instead of going for a big TV + FHD projector, I'd rather get a better projector itself, as we have a big-ish TV in the living room already for general viewing.

You might be already knowing this, but one BIG disadvantage of it is that you will need a room that is completely dark.

Other than that the experience is completely amazing. Using projector for 3 years now and I tried but I can never go back to TV again. And personally I havn't noticed the "washed-out" image while playing games, UC4 looked quite crystal clear. Please share whatever 4k projector you will finalize.

4 hours ago, AtheK said:

Also if you are from Delhi, can you source a 4k projector from US, Indian prices will be high. 

Any recommendation?

Hi, I need some suggestions for my gaming/movie setup's audio solution.

I currently use my Sony X900E 4k tv hooked up to a 5 year old Sony BDV all in one via HDMI ARC. 

The home theatre has a total output of 1000w with the sub outputting 250 of it so I want something which can atleast produce close to it's thump and volume.

My budget is 50-100k, so I don't think I can put a great mixed system together thus looking for all in one/5.1 soundbars plus they are really easy to reconfigure and less wires. Though I am open to any suggestions.

Pass through capabilities aren't mandatory as my tv is capable of sending 5.1 DTS/Dolby over HDMI ARC.

Also if someone has some experience of sourcing them from abroad or any shop, do let me know,I live in Delhi.

Thanks.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:45 PM, AtheK said:

you will need to get some dampening sheets too. No idea about prices in THailand, but cheapest would be US for sure.

One of the best sounding sub, unfortunately not sold in india

https://www.ebay.in/itm/253151044321?aff_source=Sok-Goog

i have this, sounds amazing.

http://www.profx.com/detailpage?brandId_detail=0&catId_detail=17&Id_detail=110&aclass=2&menu=1&calledFrom=0

Yup, US will def. be least expensive. I can probably get atleast the projector, and maybe a few more components of the system if they aren't available locally. Let's assume I can get them. I'm going to the HT guy's "experience centre" today. Will update here. 

Yup, US will def. be least expensive. I can probably get atleast the projector, and maybe a few more components of the system if they aren't available locally. Let's assume I can get them. I'm going to the HT guy's "experience centre" today. Will update here. 

Try MK sound speakers, if they have it, you will have some good fun.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hey, so I've been to the "experience centre" and spent a good few hours there discussing everything. Athek, I'd like to make a new thread, where I'd document my experiences, progress and choices. Let's hang there, thanks. 

Edit: 

Edited by achilles

• 1 year later...

Guys, any good recommendations for a decent living room HT setup? Would prefer a brand where the company's technician comes home and sets up/tunes the HT, based on the room.

Also, how're the built in Sony HT , which comes with a soundbar ? 

Edited by Ne0

On 11/7/2019 at 6:58 PM, Ne0 said:

Guys, any good recommendations for a decent living room HT setup? Would prefer a brand where the company's technician comes home and sets up/tunes the HT, based on the room.

Also, how're the built in Sony HT , which comes with a soundbar ? 

Since you are in Bangalore try speaking to lokesh from htstore. 

Htstore.in

• Thanks 1