Death Stranding

Big Boss

1 hour ago, Black_Hawk said:

So, basically what is this game about? You have to deliver packages from one location to another over vast terrain while encountering enemies along the way?

The story is set post an event called "death stranding" where the living and dead world collide and humanity is isolated from each other. You have to go from the east coast of America to the west connecting different big and small settlements to the chiral network ( game's version of internet on steroids ). The delivery guys aka porters are the most sought after people in the game world because normal people can't move freely and they do everyone's day to day work. Think of it like interstellar where they say farmers are more important than engineers or scientists. 

Gameplay so far ( chapter 3) going from point A to while carrying everything from a pizza to a corpse.  Sometimes you might encounter some resistance in the form of traditional enemies who want to steal your cargo, supernatural enemies who want to eat you or sometimes just the environments. Some of the best moments in the game are the ones when you are walking alone and a specially curated song starts to play in the background. The normal walking itself in not just push the joystick and hold it there but you have to maintain his balance and momentum and you also have to micromanage a lot of stuff like the stamina, his footwear, cargo weight etc etc. You'll also get access to bikes, trucks, hoverboard, exos etc later on. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

The story is set post an event called "death stranding" where the living and dead world collide and humanity is isolated from each other. You have to go from the east coast of America to the west connecting different big and small settlements to the chiral network ( game's version of internet on steroids ). The delivery guys aka porters are the most sought after people in the game world because normal people can't move freely and they do everyone's day to day work. Think of it like interstellar where they say farmers are more important than engineers or scientists. 

Gameplay so far ( chapter 3) going from point A to while carrying everything from a pizza to a corpse.  Sometimes you might encounter some resistance in the form of traditional enemies who want to steal your cargo, supernatural enemies who want to eat you or sometimes just the environments. Some of the best moments in the game are the ones when you are walking alone and a specially curated song starts to play in the background. The normal walking itself in not just push the joystick and hold it there but you have to maintain his balance and momentum and you also have to micromanage a lot of stuff like the stamina, his footwear, cargo weight etc etc. You'll also get access to bikes, trucks, hoverboard, exos etc later on. 

To add to this, there's also an asynchronous multiplayer system kinda like the one in Souls games. Except here instead of messages, you can put up traversal equipment like ladders, climbing anchors, ziplines etc. out in the world and also set up structures ranging from postboxes and watchtowers to generators and highways, which are visible to and can be used by a set of other players and vice-versa.

From what I've played so far, highways especially require a lot of resources to build. But you're not alone in getting it built as the players you've been linked with can (and will) chip in with their share.

It feels really nice to see long highways coming to fruition through such group effort, ultimately benefiting everyone.

Edited by STICK3Rboy

Some changes i want via a patch..

Freakin hate the way lockers work in this game. 

Text size is also way too small esp when there is so much info dump thrown in at regular intervals.

Press R3 and hold to zoom is another stupid thing. They needed to make it toggle button. 

The smaller cutscenes like Sam unloading cargo  every time he delivers should have been skippable. 

When you have medium to high cargo load it's impossible to see where the odradek is pointing towards.

21 minutes ago, KnackChap said:

The smaller cutscenes like Sam unloading cargo  every time he delivers should have been skippable. 

Everything is skippable. Just press start and skip. You can unload cargo, recycle stuff, go to private room, do your things and get out in few seconds by just spamming start->skip.

Also you can hit R3 to switch shoulder view. I use view over left shoulder when passing through BT area.

10 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

Everything is skippable. Just press start and skip. You can unload cargo, recycle stuff, go to private room, do your things and get out in few seconds by just spamming start->skip.

It's still a hassle though considering how many times you have to do it. Don't see why it couldn't have been a one-button (or at least a hold-button to skip) function.

It's such a pain when you have to chug down 3 f**king monster drinks to get the full stamina boost and have to skip the cutscene each time.

And even switching shoulder view doesn't make the odradek entirely visible. But yeah, it's better than the default view.

3 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

It's still a hassle though considering how many times you have to do it. Don't see why it couldn't have been a one-button (or at least a hold-button to skip) function.

It's such a pain when you have to chug down 3 f**king monster drinks to get the full stamina boost and have to skip the cutscene each time.

And even switching shoulder view doesn't make the odradek entirely visible. But yeah, it's better than the default view.

Yeah it sucks, and perfect example of how trying to be realistic gets in the way of game being fun. Like private lockers not being shared across safe houses. Its not realistic having your stuff teleport across the map, but its also stupid having individual lockers. Imagine if RE2 storage lockers were not shared across save points and each had its own inventory. DS doing that is what people call 'being so up in its own a*s'. 

BTs haven't been a problem since I got new upgrades and gadget in chapter 5 and 6. I now just let myself get captured, then beat the giant anus lion and loot shitton of crystals while also clearing the entire area of BTs. The only time you have problem is when they drag you around before pulling down, sometimes you lose your weapons and blood grenades, and all you're left with is ladders and some tatti grenades. Then you have to wait till other players to throw useful items at you.

• Haha 2

I would recommend not skipping cutscene when you just completed a main story mission and afterwards if you are heading to private room then sometimes there is cutscene which you can miss related to game’s story. 

while doing side quest you can skip though. 

Reached chapter 6 the game’s story is picking up pace and getting better. The villains are too OP. ?

2 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

. The only time you have problem is when they drag you around before pulling down, sometimes you lose your weapons and blood grenades, and all you're left with is ladders and some tatti grenades. Then you have to wait till other players to throw useful items at you.

The only reason I hate BT’s :rofl:  It’s so annoying when you carrying something fragile and this sh*t happens. 

Still on chapter 3, just finished the junk dealer story arc. Already 20 hrs in without doing any extra quests/deliveries except for the ones that were done on the return journey. How did the reviewers even manage to beat this game in 30 hrs? The trophy list says this game has atleast [hide]14 [/hide]chapters.

4 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

BThe only time you have problem is when they drag you around before pulling down, sometimes you lose your weapons and blood grenades, and all you're left with is ladders and some tatti grenades. Then you have to wait till other players to throw useful items at you.

That's why I never carry the grenades as cargo, the go on the backpack.

Edited by Snake

7 hours ago, GameAnalyzer said:

Reached chapter 6 the game’s story is picking up pace and getting better. The villains are too OP. ?

Good luck. I almost quit the game in chapter 6. The amount of back n forth deliveries the game tells you to do makes chapter 5 look like a cakewalk.

PSA for chapter 6

Build zip lines, everywhere. Especially when the game tells you to do round trip deliveries. Carry a bunch of PCCs and keep erecting zip line posts. That chapter is a nightmare on foot

6 hours ago, Snake said:

That's why I never carry the grenades as cargo, the go on the backpack.

Yeah I'm gonna put blood grenades in the pouch now. I usually do auto arrange and it puts them on the back or shoulders.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GameAnalyzer said:

I would recommend not skipping cutscene when you just completed a main story mission and afterwards if you are heading to private room then sometimes there is cutscene which you can miss related to game’s story. 

while doing side quest you can skip though. 

ESP when you come out of the private room. So far mads' story is told through flashback only. 

I reckon in a year or so, the game world / terrain would b full of roads and bridges built by all the players over the world and Kojima will take the award for connecting players to build their world. Also, the more connections you establish, the more your internet connectivity with other players increase. In a way, you are connecting yourself with other players. 

I dont understand why many people say it's a walking simulator.  Games such as The Last Guardian, Shadow of Colossus, were having similar gameplay style without the MP component but no reviewer complained. This games is a solid GOTY contender. 

19 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

So you mean to say when we'll play in 2020 we'll get everything ready and just have to play fun parts as all the tedious delivers are already done?

Hopefully so, but then again, you wont b able to see other players structures unless u connect/ expand the network. Ppl might struggle less than what we are going through now. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I reckon in a year or so, the game world / terrain would b full of roads and bridges built by all the players over the world and Kojima will take the award for connecting players to build their world. Also, the more connections you establish, the more your internet connectivity with other players increase. In a way, you are connecting yourself with other players. 

I dont understand why many people say it's a walking simulator.  Games such as The Last Guardian, Shadow of Colossus, were having similar gameplay style without the MP component but no reviewer complained. This games is a solid GOTY contender. 

30 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

So you mean to say when we'll play in 2020 we'll get everything ready and just have to play fun parts as all the tedious delivers are already done?

8 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Hopefully so, but then again, you wont b able to see other players structures unless u connect/ expand the network. Ppl might struggle less than what we are going through now. 

Each and every structure built deteriorates after a certain a certain timeframe and needs upkeep. So no, they don't be there all the time, plus you only see other structures ones you connect it to the network

• Thanks 1

The number structures you see is based on how many likes you get and your total star rating with the network node of that area. If you have terrible ratings and low likes, you won't see other player structures in your game no matter how long you wait.