Pokémon Go

devil_angel

Its really just about the numbers. Wii U has sold 13m units at a very high profit margin unlike PS4 and XB1. For example if Mario Kart sells right now 5m on Wii U.

But if they release Mario Kart on PS4/XB1 would it really sell THAT much more that it can over come the loss of revenue from

a ) Paying Royalties to Sony/MS

b ) Loss from no Console selling

BS .... All investors want Nintendo to make games on other platforms. They are trying hard to convince them otherwise , but Investors wan Ninty games on other platforms. Also what are you saying about Sega? The minute they went 3rd party they released some of their best selling games ever. Virtua Fighter 4,Sonic Heroes,PSO,Total War. The problem with Sega was the bet on the wrong horse (Xbox) , thanks to that dickhead Peter moore. If their top Franchises had gone to PS2 they would have not died.

And current Sega has other problems , such as pressure from investors to move to mobile and pachinko BS. Going 3rd party moved their Market cap to $4bn , they are the biggest 3rd party publisher after EA and Acti.

Sonic Dash has over 200m downloads and that was a year ago , way more relevant now than in Dreamcast Era despite releasing sh*t games( Sonic games were way better on Dreamcast). If Nintendo just keep milking the same 13m audience over and over again , their franchises will soon start losing relevance to new generation of gamers. Ones who are not growing up playing Handhelds and Nintendo consoles.

Our Generation fondly remembers Mario,Zelda,Pokemon...etc. but that was when Ninty was selling 100m consoles and Mario was on 40m of them. So we dont mind paying premium price to buy Wii U + Mario just because they are good games. But after a decade would a person who has never played a Mario game bother paying premium price for Nintendos system , even if is a really good game ?

Where did you read it? There was some pressure to convert already existing games/ make games for apple store but never about making games for other platforms like PS or Xbox.

Also many people have to conception that Nintendo games like Mario, Zelda will sell a lot on other platforms. But the main problem is they will not have the freedom to make their games unique if they go 3rd party, as they have with own hardware. Mario, Pokemon is been there for decades, and they will for for more decades to come only if they have complete freedom to deliver their game how they like.

Forgot about the revenue of sega, look at their current output. They hardly make any good games, and whatever good games they make are niche. Sonic is nothing compared to mario now. Since Sega gone 3rd party did they make any new innovative sonic games. Are there counterparts to games like mario galaxy? or Sonic all star racing as successful as Mario kart? (its as good as MK btw, as many people would think otherwise.). Having hardware also helped Nintendo to create unique games like Wii sports, which might not be a long standing IP. But it came at the right time with motion controllers hype and it was the most selling game ever(maybe after minecraft). and where do Sports Champions and Kinect Sports stand. Or for that matter look at any other IPs like Halo, Gran Turismo etc, they never sell as much as Nintendo games.

Nintendo’s games are so unique. Thats only because they have the freedom to create games by controlling the entire gameplay experience from hardware to software. The idea that Nintendo could simply shift its games to another platform and we would continue enjoying the same content is just magical thinking. They have the best first party devs, and they have highest number of quality IPs. If anything they should try their best to support their first party devs by making a good hardware. Thats the only way they can stay relevant in market for long term.

btw Nintendo never sold 100m consoles.

Look at the irony here,

pnSG48t.png

EEPQotv.png

Edited by KyoyaHibari
  • Like 2

Well, seems like they've planned the south american launch ahead of the asian launch :/

Isnt it currently blocked in India? I think that was a retarded move by Niantic. Why kill the hype? Now since people cant play , when it officially launches who knows if it will be as big.

btw Nintendo never sold 100m consoles.

Look at the irony here,

I mean Gameboy,NES..etc which were over 100m. And maybe NES wasnt officially close to 100m but there were soooo many clones out there. Its probably over a billion or something. All am saying is the "reach" of the mario brand back then was huge. Whereeas now it is just limited to the 13m or so people owning Wii U.

And pointing out first party sales figures isnt really the greatest arguement , since PS4 and XB1 get waaaay more titles. The competition is much more fierce on those consoles , every year you have 10 or so Amazing 90+ meta titles. Nintedos first party offering is better than Sony and MS. But is it better than all 3rd parties? When you buy a WiiU all you buy it for is the Nintendo titles. There is hardly anything else TO buy. So ofc attachment rate of Ninty first party will be high.

why dont you add 3rd party games in that chart. See how much Witcher,GTA,MK X sold individually on PS4 or XB1. First party games arent the reason people buy PS4 or XB1.

Edited by Shadoken

Isnt it currently blocked in India? I think that was a retarded move by Niantic. Why kill the hype? Now since people cant play , when it officially launches who knows if it will be as big.

I mean Gameboy,NES..etc which were over 100m. And maybe NES wasnt officially close to 100m but there were soooo many clones out there. Its probably over a billion or something. All am saying is the "reach" of the mario brand back then was huge. Whereeas now it is just limited to the 13m or so people owning Wii U.

And pointing out first party sales figures isnt really the greatest arguement , since PS4 and XB1 get waaaay more titles. The competition is much more fierce on those consoles , every year you have 10 or so Amazing 90+ meta titles. Nintedos first party offering is better than Sony and MS. But is it better than all 3rd parties? When you buy a WiiU all you buy it for is the Nintendo titles. There is hardly anything else TO buy. So ofc attachment rate of Ninty first party will be high.

why dont you add 3rd party games in that chart. See how much Witcher,GTA,MK X sold individually on PS4 or XB1. First party games arent the reason people buy PS4 or XB1.

Game isn't blocked in India. I can play it without any problem and so can all my friends.

Nintendo Shares Plunge 17% After Saying Pokemon Go’s Impact Is Limited

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-25/nintendo-set-to-plunge-after-saying-pokemon-go-s-impact-limited

Nintendo Co. shares plunged after the company said late Friday that the financial impact from the worldwide hit Pokemon Go will be limited.

Shares sank 17 percent as of 10:48 a.m. in Tokyo, wiping out $6.3 billion in market value. The company cannot fall more than 18 percent today in Tokyo, as per exchange rules on the maximum a stock can move per day.

Nintendo is a shareholder in the game’s developer Niantic Inc. and Pokemon Co., but has an "effective economic stake" of just 13 percent in the app, according to an estimate by Macquarie Securities analyst David Gibson.

Lol

Just to be clear

If Knack would have been bundled in with every PS4 from inception

It would have effectively "sold" 40m by now

More than any halo or GT :rofl:

Mario kart doesn't sell huge numbers because it is bundled. It is bundled just like other normal big games. Wii sports is a different thing, but mario kart always sell huge numbers.

Mario kart doesn't sell huge numbers because it is bundled. It is bundled just like other normal big games. Wii sports is a different thing, but mario kart always sell huge numbers.

Ank's thought process.

Let's just fix that ninty should go third party. Reason: no reason. Never played any ninty games but why not.

Some other guy says it's not good if they go third party with valid reason.

Ank can't take back on his words even though there is no reason and no logic. Let me just throw a bundle argument with a :rofl: and end on a positive note.

Nope. Here comes another valid argument.

Ank leaves the topic.

• Like 2

If they come up with good plans, many would buy NX like the original Wii. If not it will be another Wii U. It's not an end game for Nintendo yet. They still have good chances. One generation of low console sales won't have to make them sore losers who should pack their bags and sell mobile games or go third party like sega.

Also about that bundling logic, they had so many games selling over 5 mils. You can't say all of them just sold because of bundles. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

Bundles can only take sales to certain level. There has always been an uncharted bundle avalible for PlayStation 3, even still now there are. It doesnt helped it sells over 30 million.

Edited by KyoyaHibari

I'm talking about mario kart and lot of other first party sales :doh: i said 5 mil didn't I? That means I'm not talking about the damn sports. don't beat around the bush to get out of the argument.

Wii sports is free for long time but when its out it was quite successful in helping wii remote sales. Wii remotes are used lot more compared to PS move etc.

Edited by KyoyaHibari

Get the context in what I aid it. "Having unique hardware helped Nintendo make games like wii sorts"

That whole para is about how Nintendo having own hardware is important. I'm not boasting about the goddamn wii sorts sales. I didn't even play the game. And I'm saying compare other main ninty ips with halo and GT.

Omg what are you.. always nitpicking about stupid details and missing the whole point of discussion. The discussion started with why minty shouldn't go third party.

Edited by KyoyaHibari

Nintendo Shares Plunge 17% After Saying Pokemon Go’s Impact Is Limited

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-25/nintendo-set-to-plunge-after-saying-pokemon-go-s-impact-limited

Nintendo Co. shares plunged after the company said late Friday that the financial impact from the worldwide hit Pokemon Go will be limited.

Shares sank 17 percent as of 10:48 a.m. in Tokyo, wiping out $6.3 billion in market value. The company cannot fall more than 18 percent today in Tokyo, as per exchange rules on the maximum a stock can move per day.

Nintendo is a shareholder in the game’s developer Niantic Inc. and Pokemon Co., but has an "effective economic stake" of just 13 percent in the app, according to an estimate by Macquarie Securities analyst David Gibson.

Lol

Sorry but I don't understand the technicalities here, can you or someone explain it in more simpler terms to me?