Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Planning to buy switch for my son this Christmas, so help me buy

which one looks better: Neon or simple gray/black?

what is the default memory of switch and what is the recommended memory card? I already have an extra 16gb micro sd card, will that be sufficient? Planning on buying physical and not digital games for now.

Do I have to buy anything extra for it to be play ready like a charger, extra controllers etc?

anything else that I should keep in mind?

Thanks for the reply. :)

So, if I buy the default box like this:https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-consoles/games/gaming-consoles/nintendo-switch-console/nintendo-switch-console-grey/971199/

I am good to go and do not have to worry anything else(apart from games). I hope they don't sell the battery or adaptor charger separately like 3ds xl.

@Django_3101

1) Opinions, but the red and blue Switch looks far better than the Grey one. The grey one is just too dull and bland for me. Considering both are the same price, better to go for the colored one. Again, this is just my opinion.

2) Switch has a 32 GB default internal storage. In case you are going for physical, you can make this last quite a bit of time. This is because, unlike the PS4, the Switch does not install physical games onto it's storage. Rather, the games are read directly from the cartridge. The only storage space utilization will be via patches, DLC etc.

That said, be careful of LA Noire on Switch. The game has a 29 GB digital download, so you will have to get a micro SD for it. If you go for physical cartridge, it will still make you download appx. 14 GB which is almost half of the internal storage.

Switch supports the following Micro SD Cards -

microSD (up to 2 GB)

microSDHC (4 GB - 32 GB)

microSDXC (64 GB and above)

For more information regarding this, including transfer speed info etc. see here -

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22481/~/microsd-card-faq

3) Chargers, default controller (Joycon), Dock for connecting to TV, HDMI cable for connecting to TV and Joycon holder you see in image link you posted is included with the console.

That said, I highly recommended that you buy a good scratch guard for the screen and a carry case to carry the Switch around. Better to have it hard and thick enough that the Switch will not be damaged in case of a fall. So go for a good quality carry case. These two are 3rd party products and highly recommended.

Another thing that you can buy is the PRO Controller. I, personally would recommend that you buy this controller as it's the best way to play in docked (TV mode). The Joycons, are great to play in handheld mode, when they are attached to the console. But, they feel a little too small and flimsy when playing in TV mode (where they are removed from the main console). You can think of Joycons as smaller and thinner versions of the Wii controller (Wiimote) basically, if you ever had a Wii.

Besides, the PRO Controller is designed very ergonomically and is, according to me, one of the best controllers out there. But again, this is my opinion.

4) Just one more thing, which I personally find a little irritating is how to turn off the Switch, while it's on TV mode. You have to go to the console, hold that power button till all the power options come and select to switch it off. You can't get the option to turn it off via controller. You can only put it to sleep.

There's nothing else to keep in mind.

Hope it helps, and have fun :)

Edited by roun90
  • Like 1

Hi Roun

Thank you for your reply

I have already played LA Noire and the game will not be suitable for my son. But I get your point, to keep in mind the download sizes if I go digital. I already have a micro SD card(16gb I suppose), so I think I will be good for some time. 

Zelda and super Mario odyssey should be ok for him to start with. Will keep asking questions if and when I have any.

Thanks guys :)

Where the f*** is @Keano when you need him the most? :chair:

:hug:

Edited by Django_3101

Downloaded Volgarr the Viking last night because of the NA eshop sale. And, hot damn! the game us hard! I've never been too much into hard platformers, but at $ 5, I thought why not? It still is pretty fun though. Next up, I am eying Kingdom - new lands, which is on sale too. Looks like it might be right up mu alley.

36 minutes ago, Emo-Iwata said:

Downloaded Volgarr the Viking last night because of the NA eshop sale. And, hot damn! the game us hard! I've never been too much into hard platformers, but at $ 5, I thought why not? It still is pretty fun though. Next up, I am eying Kingdom - new lands, which is on sale too. Looks like it might be right up mu alley.

Have you tried Splasher? Pretty awesome little platformer.

Guys, I am planning to sell my Wii u, just wanted to know that can I sell the digital game that's installed on it, bought Xenoblade chronicles digital so can I sell that with the console?

27 minutes ago, harjas said:

Guys, I am planning to sell my Wii u, just wanted to know that can I sell the digital game that's installed on it, bought Xenoblade chronicles digital so can I sell that with the console?

You have no choice. All your digital library goes with your console anyway :P

56 minutes ago, coolboyind said:

There is one available here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Joystick-Thumbstick-Replacement-Grips-for-Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller/122756745050

Always train dogs when they are young. It's not very difficult to train them not to bite stuff.

The dog is pretty young, I am sure he will settle down in time but yea, I get your point. And, thanks for the link. :)

37 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

You can use Xbox controller sticks, or even old WiiU pro controller sticks.

I didn't know that. Thanks CC

56 minutes ago, coolboyind said:

There is one available here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Joystick-Thumbstick-Replacement-Grips-for-Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller/122756745050

Always train dogs when they are young. It's not very difficult to train them not to bite stuff.

The dog is pretty young, I am sure he will settle down in time but yea, I get your point. And, thanks for the link. :)

37 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

You can use Xbox controller sticks, or even old WiiU pro controller sticks.

I didn't know that. Thanks CC