Official Nintendo Switch Thread

58 minutes ago, swift said:

Okay then. So, bew one cost 25k and buying 2 games along with it will be 33k.

If you'll be using it mostly on TV, why not save money and buy the older model? It went for around 18k after cashback (21k without), and having used it myself the battery life is decent enough for occassional handheld gaming.

Unless it's running really cool or something, why spend 5-7k extra for battery life when you anyway would not be using much of the handheld mode?

1 hour ago, Playstationdude said:

If you'll be using it mostly on TV, why not save money and buy the older model? It went for around 18k after cashback (21k without), and having used it myself the battery life is decent enough for occassional handheld gaming.

Unless it's running really cool or something, why spend 5-7k extra for battery life when you anyway would not be using much of the handheld mode?

This. And you can easily get a battery pack to carry with you for about 1000 bucks and save the rest

2 hours ago, adity said:

Does normal battery pack work with switch? I mean no risk of frying right? I am too scared of using anything other than the official charger. 

Nope. I don't use it much outside but on the rare occasions that I did, didn't face any issues. A lot of folks have been using battery packs without issues. Google or search reddit

2 hours ago, blitzkreiig said:

The screen is better, it runs cooler, better battery life. Price difference is 4-5k. Take your pick.

I would have asked him to for the newer model, but 4-5k diff is quite bit considering he can pick up a game or two with that money. Is the screen really better? I know that they've started using Sharp manufactured LCD panels, but didn't know they were better.

• 2 weeks later...

I got few more questions guys.

1. I was told i have only 10 days warranty (lol)so where and how will i have it replaced if something goes wrong after 10 days?

2. Games which are sold here are Eu or NA games?

3. Which Nintendo Account (region)would be be better to create?

4. Suggest me a good controller.

1. No warranty or repair for Nintendo products in India. You could try local game shops for repair.

2. Both, doesn't matter though as it is region free.

3. You can create upto 8 accounts, don't worry much about it.

4. Get the Switch Pro Controller.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, swift said:

I got few more questions guys.

1. I was told i have only 10 days warranty (lol)so where and how will i have it replaced if something goes wrong after 10 days?

2. Games which are sold here are Eu or NA games?

3. Which Nintendo Account (region)would be be better to create?

4. Suggest me a good controller.

1) Switch is not officially available in India. Doubt Nintendo even knows India exists. You are lucky to even get warranty. And that 10 days you said sounds like a replacement gurantee from the seller, not warranty. I.e. in case there is a manufacturing defect (which will be apparent within 10 days), the seller will take back the Switch and give a brand new piece to you. Is that the case? This is from seller side, and varies from seller to seller

After your 10 days, if your seller is good and has connections (such as if he got the Switch from Dubai for example, and has contacts there), then the seller can send the console to the foreign seller where he purchased it from and get it repaired there. Such services are usually chargeable though, and make you wait. It's best to ask your seller regarding this point before buying.If such a service is not offered by your seller - then you will have to search for an unofficial repair guy and hope for the best.

I wouldn't worry too much though. From my experience with Nintendo consoles (Wii, 3DS, Switch) the console quality is awesome and you have to be unlucky to actually have a non-functioning console. I had some problems with Switch controller (Joycon ones) (my Switch was the OG one, and controller problem was known in that version); but I just replaced the controller and things have been absolutely fine since.

2) Most games are available here unofficially, so you will get both - whichever is available. Doesn't make a difference though - Switch is region free (Unlike 3DS) so even the Japanese version of the game will run in EU Switch

3) Many people say South African Account has more sales. But I myself am using a US account, and satisfied with that. If you use a US Eshop account, just ensure that you set the state to where there is no digital sales tax (you can find out which state and postcode from Google) and set it there, otherwise you will be paying extra wastefully when you buy digital games. Any digitalpurchases you make will only be via the Nintendo Eshop wallet card you purchase from 3rd party sites and not from credit card directly (Unless you have a credit card with US Address)

4) If you are using Handheld mode - then the Joycons that come with the console is fine. But if you want to use the Switch on TV (you should, since Switch games look awesome on TV plus resolution and performance improves in TV/Docked mode) -then definitely get the Official Nintendo Switch Pro controller. That controller is seriously awesome, and on par with or even better that the Xbox One X controller (Far better than the PS4 one definitely). Joycons are uncomfortable for TV mode. Pro controller makes no sense for Handheld mode (You will be having the Switch on your hand). So having Joycons for Handheld mode (Joycons are free with console) and 1 Pro controller (should cost some 4k-5k INR) makes for the complete Switch experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silica said:

Do you guys suggest buying the Nintendo Pro Controller on Amazon India or at a Local store? Also, what is a fair price for the Pro Controller?

If you have a trust-worthy local shop (i.e. you've purchased from them before and can be sure they are genuine) - then it's always best to go for the local shop option, even if they charge some 200-500 bucks more than Amazon. The reason is simply because, in case the controller does not work properly you can catch hold of that person and get it replaced (always ensure you ask about replacement before you buy).

As for fair price, I myself did not buy the Pro controller from India - but approximately in India, around 5k should be a fair price. But for fair price, it might still be best to ask others here and elsewhere who might have purchased the Pro controller in India.

5 hours ago, roun90 said:

If you have a trust-worthy local shop (i.e. you've purchased from them before and can be sure they are genuine) - then it's always best to go for the local shop option, even if they charge some 200-500 bucks more than Amazon. The reason is simply because, in case the controller does not work properly you can catch hold of that person and get it replaced (always ensure you ask about replacement before you buy).

As for fair price, I myself did not buy the Pro controller from India - but approximately in India, around 5k should be a fair price. But for fair price, it might still be best to ask others here and elsewhere who might have purchased the Pro controller in India.

Where did you buy your controller? I bought the Switch at a local store, but as that was the first time I have purchased from them, I cannot comment on their integrity.

Are there methods to verify the authenticity of the switch and pro controller?

13 hours ago, silica said:

Where did you buy your controller? I bought the Switch at a local store, but as that was the first time I have purchased from them, I cannot comment on their integrity.

Are there methods to verify the authenticity of the switch and pro controller?

I brought it when I was travelling abroad to work, so the price at which I brought will not match yours most probably. Also I got the Splatoon special edition of Pro controller, so I'm sure mine is the official one.

As for how to spot fakes, there are plenty of articles online. For example -

1) https://in.ign.com/nintendo-nx-1/138278/news/amazon-india-reportedly-selling-counterfeit-nintendo-switch-pro-controllers

2) https://www.lootpots.com/articles/fake-switch-pro-controller-comparison-internals-30072018/

3) https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/disturbingly-accurate-fake-switch-pro-controllers-now-on-the-market/

4) https://kotaku.com/the-nintendo-switch-pro-controller-hides-a-secret-messa-1792985504

Most importantly, always look for the "Official Nintendo Seal" in the Pro Controller's box. Such as this image for example (Pic taken from Google, not my box) -

pro-controller-box.jpg?itok=GIIRE_C6

You can see the "Official Nintendo Seal" to the left of the barcode.

For reference, this is the version of the Pro Controller I have. But as I said, I got it from abroad and also there have been reports of Amazon supplying fake products. Especially of the seller "Micromini" whose link is being promoted by Amazon. That seller also has only 6 customer ratings, so any of the 4 star or 5 star reviews that he has could also be from his own family/relatives. So don't buy from him.

https://www.amazon.in/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller-Splatoon/dp/B07H9G1FPK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Nintendo+switch+pro+controller+splatoon+edition&qid=1573626758&sr=8-1

15 hours ago, silica said:

Can anyone suggest if purchasing the pro controller from Play-Asia is a good idea? It works to the same price as it’s being sold on Amazon US with shipping to India.

https://www.play-asia.com/nintendo-switch-pro-controller/13/70avfl

Since you are planning to import, wait for Black Friday sales to start and then import from us. Other option is get  it from Amazon India or any local seller for cheap.

15 hours ago, silica said:

Can anyone suggest if purchasing the pro controller from Play-Asia is a good idea? It works to the same price as it’s being sold on Amazon US with shipping to India.

https://www.play-asia.com/nintendo-switch-pro-controller/13/70avfl

Have purchased from Play-asia before (Only games and software codes though. I've not bought any Hardware from them). From my experience -

1) You might have to pay extra shipping cost. That 4500 price might not be the final price

2) You might wait up to a month for delivery (based on customs and shipping method chosen)

3) If your shipment can escape/clear through customs without problems, then it's fine. Otherwise, if your package is held by customs -

a) You might wait a very long time for delivery, even beyond a month

b) When the goods finally reach you - you will have to pay more money as customs duty (maybe upto 30% of value; though I'm not sure)

c) Hope that the goods do reach you safely, and that the custom officer does not keep it for himself (Though the instances of this are lessening I heard, and I also heard that Play-Asia does compensate for lost in transit; though again I'm not sure)

d) High paid deliveries (Like FedEx/DHL etc.) are more likely to attract the extra custom duties. Though they also give you peace of mind - as they will ship fast, allow tracking and will also help in clearing customs and with lost goods as well.

Overall, when the Pro controller does reach you - don't be surprised if you've paid an amount similar to what you would have paid if you purchased it in India (Give or take some 400-500 Rs above or below)

If you truly have no local store you can trust, and have no option, then your best bet is to buy from Amazon US (Amazon.com) At the time of check-out itself, they will collect the custom amount from you (and refund it later if custom is not charged). They will also take the KYC from you in beginning itself and will do all the work in clearing customs. And they will also have awesome deals come Black Friday/Cyber Monday as @santanu18 said. Plus you might find official Nintendo itself selling over there.

• Like 1

@roun90 Amazon Exports LLC is the official Nintendo distributor, but they do not ship to India. The price including shipping from Amazon and Play-Asia is the same price.

A quick note for everyone, the import duty is 0% for any imported electronic goods (excl. mobile phones) with a CIF value <= INR 50,000/-