Official Nintendo Switch Thread

2 minutes ago, Shantz said:

And I bought one for my son last week :( (To be given on his coming birthday) Am I missing out on anything (Bought it from HK, so didn't pay any mark up)?

Definitely the OLED screen. Else same hardware. Will play the same. 

1 minute ago, Mysteryman said:

Even with 10 switches, they can’t meet PS5 power.  

Not meant to. I really don't get the comparisons. All 3 consoles have really different models to work with. 

Nintendo is a family console, with tons of nostalgic characters, coop gameplay, from 3 year old to 100 year oldies. 

PS5 is a graphical powerhouse, with a plethora of varied AAA 1st party games.

Xbox is gamepass. MS's whole strategy is sub based. 

All 3 are so different that they shouldn't be compared tbh. 

I mentioned the PS5 since someone previously compared the price with a PS5 DE. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, b!T said:

Exactly, a decent one. I used to often think while playing on switch that it wud be awesome to have OLED screen on par with first gen vita.

Tbh, doubtful what benefit will an OLED bring to 720p screen ? 

There are no hi res textures to work with, there's no HDR. I'm sure the colors will be MUCH more vibrant, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing considering the screen res. 

6 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Definitely the OLED screen. Else same hardware. Will play the same. 

Not meant to. I really don't get the comparisons. All 3 consoles have really different models to work with. 

Nintendo is a family console, with tons of nostalgic characters, coop gameplay, from 3 year old to 100 year oldies. 

PS5 is a graphical powerhouse, with a plethora of varied AAA 1st party games.

Xbox is gamepass. MS's whole strategy is sub based. 

All 3 are so different that they shouldn't be compared tbh. 

I mentioned the PS5 since someone previously compared the price with a PS5 DE. 

Yes strategy wise, they are different. Still Nintendo made a poor attempt with this latest console. More like a cash grab. Even the Apple iPhones do better.

Edited by Mysteryman

7 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Tbh, doubtful what benefit will an OLED bring to 720p screen ? 

There are no hi res textures to work with, there's no HDR. I'm sure the colors will be MUCH more vibrant, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing considering the screen res. 

Vita resolution is 576p and there is considerable difference between first gen OLED and second gen LCD. I know because I have both. Switch is doing the reverse as in moving from an LCD to OLED. Even on a 720p it should make a difference or I am expecting it to.

Just now, Mysteryman said:

Yes strategy wise, they are different. Still Nintendo made a poor attempt with this latest console.

I'm not so sure. 

They are doing excellent sales wise. It'll be an extremely idiotic decision to replace the current hardware with a powerful one and ditch their new customers. Not to mention their dev costs would increase with 2 radically different SKUs. No need to break the momentum. 

Plus you normally think of improved silicon when either the competition is nigh up your a*s or your sales figures are decreasing or a major generational leap is due. Neither is true for Nintendo (I doubt they look at Sony or MS as competitors). 

This mid gen refresh gives them at least 2 years of extra time, which might be used to for more 1st party games already in development. 

Finally, Nintendo, for better or worse, is primarily a gaming company, unlike Sony or MS. Their survival depends on it. I'm sure they wouldn't have taken this decision lightly. 

• Like 1

Just now, b!T said:

Vita resolution is 576p and there is considerable difference between first gen OLED and second gen LCD. I know because I have both. Switch is doing the reverse as in moving from an LCD to OLED. Even on a 720p it should make a difference or I am expecting it to.

Don't tempt me, bro. :samui:

Just now, Bird Bird Bird said:

Don't tempt me, bro. :samui:

:lol: I am already tempted and if I can get a good price in US or UK or middle East, I am going to snag one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Pixelated, yes. Blurry, no. I also play on a 4k tv. 

Meant Pixelated only, thought that might not be the kind word...

7 hours ago, dylanjosh said:

So this nonsense was the Switch pro? What a jebait lol

Nintendo never talked about Pro or any new hardware. All media hype, which led to consumer hype, which led to consumer anger when a "Pro" model was not announced.

Media being media being media. 

1 hour ago, radicaldude said:

I wonder what would be the indian grey market price. Maybe it'll launch closer to 40k and then would stabilize at 32-35k 

Ps- I suspect a pro model is still in the works. Most prolly the model will launch with Botw2. 

The OLED screen switch is actually the Switch Pro as confirmed in multiple verified sources. 

9 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I'm not so sure. 

They are doing excellent sales wise. It'll be an extremely idiotic decision to replace the current hardware with a powerful one and ditch their new customers. Not to mention their dev costs would increase with 2 radically different SKUs. No need to break the momentum. 

Plus you normally think of improved silicon when either the competition is nigh up your a*s or your sales figures are decreasing or a major generational leap is due. Neither is true for Nintendo (I doubt they look at Sony or MS as competitors). 

This mid gen refresh gives them at least 2 years of extra time, which might be used to for more 1st party games already in development. 

Finally, Nintendo, for better or worse, is primarily a gaming company, unlike Sony or MS. Their survival depends on it. I'm sure they wouldn't have taken this decision lightly. 

Yeah pretty much the same for Apple. 

2 minutes ago, Mysteryman said:

The OLED screen switch is actually the Switch Pro as confirmed in multiple verified sources. 

Such media sources had predicted a 4k model as well. 

This mid gen upgrade is targeted towards the handheld audience only. They could have very well given the switch lite an OLED screen. I still feel a switch with upgraded hardware is in works. Maybe they'll call it something else and not switch pro. 

24 minutes ago, Mysteryman said:

Yeah pretty much the same for Apple. 

Uhh M1 ? Pretty much killing the x86 single handedly ? 

I know killing is a strong word, but for semi-pro users, Apple just went from an expensive show off item to possibly a much better option than Wintel stuff. Under the price of a lac, there's no laptop which can match M1 (unless one is specifically looking for gaming). 

Wife uses the M1 Air, and boy, is it a delight. First Mac for all of us, and the battery, screen, camera, audio, performance and silent design - all are way better than whatever we have used before. 

Biggest gripe is the port situation. You'll have to spend on TB3 dock if any expansion is needed. 

Expecting it to improve with new Pro (likely the 2022 models). 

20 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

This mid gen upgrade is targeted towards the handheld audience only. They could have very well given the switch lite an OLED screen. I still feel a switch with upgraded hardware is in works. Maybe they'll call it something else and not switch pro. 

Historically, Nintendo is not a company to release new hardware every 4 years, and never under public pressure. 

Their generational launch cycles are around 6-7 years, which puts the new OLED Switch in the middle of an ideal mid-gen refresh. 

I don't think we will see a Pro or a new model, whatever it's called, before Q4 2023. 

24 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

The thing is - Switch does not need power. It is not a console based on power or pushing graphical boundaries. Switch is the only console that follows the original game dev mentality - "Use the complete, limited power at your disposal and create the most fun and innovative games and gameplay that you can think of". This "upgrade" essentially also closes the door on any exclusive game coming to a new "upgraded" Switch console. There will be only 1 more new SKU - A Switch Lite that has the OLED Screen. Nothing else after that. It will then be the time to put out next gen or Switch 2.

Remember, Nintendo is not competing with Sony or MS. Any competition they do is with mobile or themselves. A "Switch Pro" is not likely to bring in any gamers from the mobile segment. What it will do is cannibalize the original Switch and Switch lite sales.

3 minutes ago, roun90 said:

The thing is - Switch does not need power. It is not a console based on power or pushing graphical boundaries. Switch is the only console that follows the original game dev mentality - "Use the complete, limited power at your disposal and create the most fun and innovative games and gameplay that you can think of". This "upgrade" essentially also closes the door on any exclusive game coming to a new "upgraded" Switch console. There will be only 1 more new SKU - A Switch Lite that has the OLED Screen. Nothing else after that. It will then be the time to put out next gen or Switch 2.

Remember, Nintendo is not competing with Sony or MS. Any competition they do is with mobile or themselves. A "Switch Pro" is not likely to bring in any gamers from the mobile segment. What it will do is cannibalize the original Switch and Switch lite sales.

Actually a more powerful switch would ensure two things

1) for first party games- better innovation in gameplay, restricted by the limitations (whatever it is) of the present switch hardware)

2) better third party ports on the system. 

Though I agree locking games like botw 2 to a new hardware would cannibalise sales, I still feel a powerful SoC would make Nintendo games better on handheld mode. And I'm not even hinting towards a 4k model. It's just that a powerful chipset would lead to developers taking full advantage of it to make titles even better (more polished). Specially titles like metroid 4 (a hardcore fps title that would need atleast 60fps in today's day and age).