Official Nintendo Switch Thread

28 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Uhh M1 ? Pretty much killing the x86 single handedly ? 

I know killing is a strong word, but for semi-pro users, Apple just went from an expensive show off item to possibly a much better option than Wintel stuff. Under the price of a lac, there's no laptop which can match M1 (unless one is specifically looking for gaming). 

Wife uses the M1 Air, and boy, is it a delight. First Mac for all of us, and the battery, screen, camera, audio, performance and silent design - all are way better than whatever we have used before. 

Biggest gripe is the port situation. You'll have to spend on TB3 dock if any expansion is needed. 

Expecting it to improve with new Pro (likely the 2022 models). 

Historically, Nintendo is not a company to release new hardware every 4 years, and never under public pressure. 

Their generational launch cycles are around 6-7 years, which puts the new OLED Switch in the middle of an ideal mid-gen refresh. 

I don't think we will see a Pro or a new model, whatever it's called, before Q4 2023. 

The only refresh that I wanted- better joycons :P

Only Nintendo can sell console and games with basically no push for graphical fidelity. No push for hardware, persisting dreaded controller stick issues. 

I mean, imagine the feat! The console sold alot in India without even Nintendo's official presence and support here. People just said: "eh...f**k warranty and support, I'll just get the console to play games while I'm mobile".

Btw, if anyone is wondering, Switch is basically as powerful as a mere iphone 7! That's basically nothing nowadays. They could have done more, but it's nintendo and their fanbase don't even care for actual upgrade, and more into gimmicks.

25 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

) for first party games- better innovation in gameplay, restricted by the limitations (whatever it is) of the present switch hardware)

This, I do not agree with. For the last 3 generations, Nintendo has been a laggard as far as pure graphical horsepower is concerned. But look at Wii - the epic motion controls implemented properly for the first time (Wii Sports still plays amazingly well to this day), Wii U with it's "mobile tablet screen", possibly a proof of concept for the future, leading to Switch - an absolute innovation when it comes to bridging the gap between small screen and large screen seamless gameplay. 

No other company has been able to achieve innovation in the sense Nintendo has. They are always "thinking differently". 

They have essentially married their handheld prowess to their TV based console innovation, and created a hybrid which was unthinkable 5 years ago. 

However, it will be extremely difficult to come out of this conundrum they have landed into. They have to take the portability and mix it with relatively high console level performance, and since graphical prowess is never their strong suit, I believe innovation will continue but not at the level of SoC. Their systems will always be "enough" to last a generation of 6-7 years, but the innovation will always be new ways to play. It's an absolute epic system for their 1st party stuff. 

35 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

better third party ports on the system. 

This, obviously true. And they gave been pushing hard for 3rd party ports with Switch. Maybe this will lead to somewhere. 

17 minutes ago, iam said:

Sorry but this just sounds absurd. 

Every game developer works with limitations and tries to achieve maximum possible with it. Except the other consoles just have much higher ceilings. 

Everything that a dev can achieve on Switch, it would be better on better hardware. 

This is just Nintendo's strategy of making money off hardware which no other platform can do (working well too). But don't delude yourself into thinking switch has the amazing games because of the limited hardware. Mario kart won't hurt from a 4k resolution and Botw would feel better at 60 fps. 

Good games and competent hardware aren't mutually exclusive. 

The Nintendo logic is when both the versions are equally underpowered then no version is actually holding the game behind and customer is ready to digest it.

Masterstroke.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, iam said:

Sorry but this just sounds absurd. 

Every game developer works with limitations and tries to achieve maximum possible with it. Except the other consoles just have much higher ceilings. 

Everything that a dev can achieve on Switch, it would be better on better hardware. 

This is just Nintendo's strategy of making money off hardware which no other platform can do (working well too). But don't delude yourself into thinking switch has the amazing games because of the limited hardware. Mario kart won't hurt from a 4k resolution and Botw would feel better at 60 fps. 

Good games and competent hardware aren't mutually exclusive. 

5 minutes ago, SaiKO said:

Only Nintendo can sell console and games with basically no push for graphical fidelity. No push for hardware, persisting dreaded controller stick issues. 

I mean, imagine the feat! The console sold alot in India without even Nintendo's official presence and support here. People just said: "eh...f**k warranty and support, I'll just get the console to play games while I'm mobile".

Btw, if anyone is wondering, Switch is basically as powerful as a mere iphone 7! That's basically nothing nowadays. They could have done more, but it's nintendo and their fanbase don't even care for actual upgrade, and more into gimmicks.

Mid gen refresh, folks, not a new console.

Guess it more value to purchasers of Switch v1/2 since we don't have to upgrade for another 2-3 years for exclusives. 

2 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Mid gen refresh, folks not a new console.

Guess it more value to purchasers of Switch v1/2 since we don't have to upgrade for another 2-3 years for exclusives. 

Such a small increment can't be a mid-gen refresh. It's just V3.

I believe botw2 could have definitely gained from newer hardware. I wonder how they would handle new gameplay elements like inclusion of the sky (thus increasing verticality) on a hardware from 2017. If it is possible, why did they not include that in botw 1 itself. (Though botw 1 still has verticality but the sky changes the game completely). 

Innovation is absolutely mandatory. Else subsequent iterations of popular switch titles would feel like dlcs of older games. Better hardware would definitely give more processing power not for graphics, but for bringing in better in game experience (for instance the SSD in ps5 has cut down/eliminated load times completely). Something similar to that. 

Edited by radicaldude

12 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

The Nintendo logic is when both the versions are equally underpowered then no version is actually holding the game behind and customer is ready to digest it.

Masterstroke.

Lmao! 

Masterstroke indeed. 
It's the same company which locks down quality of life features like fast travel in a game behind a limited Amiibo physical figurine. It's a same company which sells you oldass games with no addition at a full 60 dollars of price, and with limited availability.

They treat games like toys and such, with self made limited availability, not a media.

1 hour ago, KunjanPSD said:

Such a small increment can't be a mid-gen refresh. It's just V3.

Po-ta-to, Poo-taaa-tooo !

1 hour ago, radicaldude said:

Better hardware would definitely give more processing power not for graphics, but for bringing in better in game experience (for instance the SSD in ps5 has cut down/eliminated load times completely). Something similar to that. 

And it only took them 8 years ! 

Switch is just 4 year old, peeps. :pulpfiction:

1 hour ago, blitzkreiig said:

I guess Nintendo is doomed ??‍♂️

Doomed I tell ya ! 

Winning Video Game GIF by Lil Yachty

7 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

But would DF know? 

5 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

they usually know. Also MVG hinting at 2022 release along with BOTW2 release. 

They do one speculative video every year. 

This is from 2019

Of course, at some point they will be true because at some point, Nintendo will release a new console. But I don't think anything is coming before 2023, which sits with the usual 6 year refresh cycle of Nintendo. 

At least they got the 720p OLED part right: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-04-nintendo-switch-pro-will-reportedly-have-720p-oled-screen

Even if they're doing a hardware refresh with a better chipset and all it has to be portable first, not just some enhancement of that docking device.

Normal switch with the dock and detachable controllers looks flimsy and sasta maal.

Switch Lite looks total quality product..

I really miss the era of proper portable gaming consoles.

13 minutes ago, radicaldude said:

I don't think they would release metroid prime 4 on this hardware. Maybe they are building the game from scratch on some newer hardware. 

That will be the biggest FU from Nintendo to their fans if MP4 does not release on Switch. :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

That will be the biggest FU from Nintendo to their fans if MP4 does not release on Switch. :lol:

Like other console makers do- they can put up a tagline- optimised for super switch

Ps- I feel this cross gen compatibility thingy is difficult to balance and makes developers handicapped. Such big titles should be launched on newer hardware. Just like botw did well on switch compared to the wii u. 

Not saying that Nintendo should have released a new system in 2021 itself. But still botw 2 deserves a more powerful base hardware.