Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Saw the Direct just now (Had forgotten about the Direct completely). A very good show. Some thoughts -

1) Very excited for Triangle Strategy. I thought it was vaporware and Nintendo had forgotten about it. Need some Octopath Traveller goodness without the grinding associated with it. Decision making affecting the World and story also an enormous plus point

2) Same as above for Bayonetta 3. Again I had thought it was vaporware. Good that they remembered it.

3) New Gameplay of Kirby: The Forgotten Lands, Metroid Dread and Splatoon 2. They seemed awesome. I'm not a fan of those, but I know they are huge IPs and a lot of people are waiting for them. Other devs should also learn and put more of their major IPs in 1 show. It's absolutely fun.

4) Yoko Taro (Nier dev) making a new Card based JRPG similar to Hand of Fate on Steam. Lol the guy just does whatever is fun.

5) New tier of NSO. Not much interested (Not even using the regular NSO), but I hope they don't lock online play/cloud features behind the new tier.

6) DLCs for those interested. Monster Hunter Rise DLC seemed a major one.

7) Indies and Steam Bargain Bin titles coming to Switch at full price (Disco Elysium and all). Not interested. Absolutely meh!

8) One really surprising thing - it's not MS who is the first to completely stream games (Of the major console makers), it's Nintendo. Dying Light 2 coming to Switch fully via Cloud. 

9) Mario Movie pulling in all the Hollywood A-Listers. This is a little worrying, but hopefully it's not an absolute disaster.

10) Actraiser Renaissance seems interesting for side scrolling platformer fans (Not a genre I play personally much - if at all)

11) Square Enix is now competing with Mario Kart on Nintendo's own platform lol

It was a pretty fun direct to watch overall. Full time-pass for 40 mins.

2 hours ago, playstationdude said:

The mario movie is animated right, so how would chris pratt affect the look other than the voice?

It's animated. But I dunno how to feel about this tbqh. Mario has a distinct iconic voice. Also, when one thinks of an Italian Plumber with a funny English Accent - Chris Pratt does not even come to mind. Hope they do the animated movie justice.

28 minutes ago, roun90 said:

It's animated. But I dunno how to feel about this tbqh. Mario has a distinct iconic voice. Also, when one thinks of an Italian Plumber with a funny English Accent - Chris Pratt does not even come to mind. Hope they do the animated movie justice.

The actual guy voicing mario isnt italian tpo i think

Charles Martinet

So I got a switch for my son (Bought a while earlier but received today, so it's the non-OLED version)

Pliss to help with any recommended first steps, e.g. which region to create account from, should i buy the online membership/from where, do ppl buy games online or physically, anything else?

11 hours ago, Shantz said:

So I got a switch for my son (Bought a while earlier but received today, so it's the non-OLED version)

Pliss to help with any recommended first steps, e.g. which region to create account from, should i buy the online membership/from where, do ppl buy games online or physically, anything else?

First, congratz on your new Switch!! Now as for your queries -

1) I've created my Switch Account from US region. Just select a state that has no tax on digital purchases and you're good. Fake addresses is fine (Just correct ZIP code needed). Some people advocate creating a South African Switch Account, because some games are cheaper there. But I personally selected US because of availability of all games on launch, plus hassle free (You easily get Switch $ Codes for purchase online). To be on the safe side - DO NOT TRY TO ADD YOUR CC/DC DIRECTLY TO SWITCH ACCOUNT.

2) For Digital Purchases, you can buy digital Switch gift cards which come in denominations like $10, $20, $35, $50 etc. and redeem it on the Switch Store accessed via the Switch Console. Then use the balance to buy the games you want.

3) Almost all video game stores in India store physical versions of Switch Games (including amazon.in), especially the popular ones like Zelda BOTW, Mario, Pokemon, Xenoblade etc. But be warned that these are imported copies. Switch is region-free so you can play all. But physical versions in India are expensive - going for prices like 5000 Rs typically. This is the import tax that physical sellers charge.

4) If you want to purchase DLCs, it's always best to buy from the same region which your base game is. Most of the games have region free DLCs (You can buy DLCs from any region and play it with any other region), but some games do enforce region locked DLCs the same way Sony does on PS. This includes even the big titles. To be on the safe side - always buy DLCs from the same store as the base game region. This is another place where having your base region set to US helps. Keep in mind though, some physical sellers like to import and sell EU versions of the base game

5) Nintendo Switch Online (NSO) is the online subscription. It's very cheap (Typically $20 for 1 year). You can buy 3rd party digital codes from amazon.com, playasia.com etc. or even use the wallet balance to buy directly from the Switch store. It's needed for Multi-player and Cloud Saves. So check what kind of games you or your son will play. If you're playing MP games like Mario Kart, the various Sports games etc. or playing Pokemon and want to trade - NSO is needed. If not, you can safely ignore it.

6) Not just your son, but even you should play the Switch. Games like Zelda BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Smash Bros Ultimate, Bayonetta etc. are some of the best games of this entire gen (Far better than most of PS4/PS5 and X1/XS library). There are also many more games that are really great.

That's about it I guess. Hope it helped!!

Edited by roun90
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot @roun90This is extremely helpful. One last question. For the NSO membership, I see there's a family plan and individual plan. Do you know if I have a single switch with multiple profiles (1 for me and 1 for son), will both of us be able to play the NES/SNES games from NSO on our individual profiles with an individual membership or do I need to buy the family membership?