Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Recently bought a switch. What's the best way to buy games? Physical games seem to be the way to go but unable to find the good ones ( say Mario Odyssey) in 2nd hand markets. Also, does paypal work on the US store, to buy a digital only game like Celeste?

3 hours ago, Aloy said:

Recently bought a switch. What's the best way to buy games? Physical games seem to be the way to go but unable to find the good ones ( say Mario Odyssey) in 2nd hand markets. Also, does paypal work on the US store, to buy a digital only game like Celeste?

Paypal works. I use it for digital purchases. You can also buy codes from play asia, the rates are almost 1:1 of usd.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aloy said:

Check other eshop country prices at eshop-prices.com. US isn't the cheapest btw. You can create multiple accounts for all different eshops, add them to Switch, and buy using CC or PayPal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Check other eshop country prices at eshop-prices.com. US isn't the cheapest btw. You can create multiple accounts for all different eshops, add them to Switch, and buy using CC or PayPal. 

Oh nice. Celeste is like 1500 on the US store but just 230 in Argentina. Thanks for the tip.

Though I noticed on that site that almost all first party ninty games are still pretty expensive throughout the globe.

One small thing, switch online worth it?

2 minutes ago, Aloy said:

Oh nice. Celeste is like 1500 on the US store but just 230 in Argentina. Thanks for the tip.

Though I noticed on that site that almost all first party ninty games are still pretty expensive throughout the globe.

One small thing, switch online worth it?

You can't buy from Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Peru etc. CC limitation. 

Cheapest IMO turn out to be SA, Mexico, sometimes Poland or sometimes surprisingly, even Japan. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

1 minute ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

You can't buy from Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Peru etc. CC limitation. 

Cheapest IMO turn out to be SA, Mexico, sometimes Poland or sometimes surprisingly, even Japan. 

That's weird. Tried some time ago and my visa debit card worked on the Argentinian store. They don't take PayPal as that would be the safer and better option.

14 minutes ago, Aloy said:

That's weird. Tried some time ago and my visa debit card worked on the Argentinian store. They don't take PayPal as that would be the safer and better option.

Oh nice. Will try with mine too. It didn't work last I tried few months ago. 

10 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

Go for switch oled or wait for switch pro?

Would love to get the switch once major backlogs from other consoles are done, probably during this year

No info on Pro. Just rumors, same thing for the past 3-4 years. 

OLED is worth it just for the beautiful screen, but if you're primarily going to use docked, save some and get the non OLED version. 

I highly recommend OLED though. Gives a new lease of life to old games. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

Go for switch oled or wait for switch pro?

Would love to get the switch once major backlogs from other consoles are done, probably during this year

Is been 5 years since Switch launched don’t think we are going to get mid cycle upgrade (so called switch pro).

We should start seeing rumours of a proper next gen nintendo console now. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

I wonder how much money they're losing by having a hybrid system instead of 2 systems like wii and ds. 

The sales would be divided if they made 2 systems. Currently those who want dedicated handheld also pickup a switch.

Plus creating double the games, cutting game sales in half. Seems a hybrid console was smart.

19 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

I wonder how much money they're losing by having a hybrid system instead of 2 systems like wii and ds. 

I would say not much at all. Nintendo Home console systems have been a massive flop for a very long time now. Meanwhile, they have been "Kings of Handheld" to the point that their Handheld makes even more money than other "Traditional" Consoles, especially if you compare software sales.

Nintendo's highest selling "Home" console was the Wii. Even that, many people just bought the machine and the Wii Sports that came bundled for free, and never purchased another game at all. Not much of a point.

I would say Switch was their best decision. They removed themselves from the "Hardware Power" race, and combined both the aspects, most likely saving money on developing a traditional home console with expensive parts - while at the same time keeping their massive Handheld user-base intact, along with it's bonkers software sales.

Though I'm really enjoying the Switch, can't say I'm a fan of the joycons. The lack of a proper D-pad and the binary shoulder buttons(as in they are unlike Xbox/PS's shoulder buttons) hurts. Also the ergonomics are not the best. There are some shady third party joy cons on Amazon which seem to provide better ergonomics for like 5k but can't trust them. 

Edited by Aloy

17 minutes ago, Aloy said:

Though I'm really enjoying the Switch, can't say I'm a fan of the joycons. The lack of a proper D-pad and the binary shoulder buttons(as in they are unlike Xbox/PS's shoulder buttons) hurts. Also the ergonomics are not the best. There are some shady third party joy cons on Amazon which seem to provide better ergonomics for like 5k but can't trust them. 

Just get the Pro Controller. It's amazing. If you ever play Docked - it will really shine there as well.

31 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Just get the Pro Controller. It's amazing. If you ever play Docked - it will really shine there as well.

Have heard a lot of good things about them but damn they are expensive. Gotta save up.