Official Nintendo Switch Thread

10 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Not really. Apparently that's the Jap way of saying "we don't want to work with you", and things got lost due to cultural difference. 

Her replacement Jennifer Hale is quite a legend in the industry, and wouldn't have come cheap at all. 

The 4000 rate was just an insult to an established senior VA. 

That's another thing - this VA has not done anything since Bayonetta 2 in 2014. She came in Smash Bros Ultimate - where the role is very minor - to the point I would not be surprised if Nintendo just re-used her old lines. She's also not done much VA work at all in the industry period with Bayonetta being her starring role.

This is what I found on Behind The Voice Actors -

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Hellena-Taylor/

Some 3-4 really old pre-2010 anime and last major video game on 2014. 8-10 years is a very long time and people's voices do change in that period. So Nintendo/Platinum is being held hostage by a 10 year old employee who did not do much work at all, and who only speaks up close to the release of the game - as if with an agenda to sabotage sales. It's just sad.

Her replacement, Jennifer Hale though - has been in the industry continuously from 1991 and never stopped.

Edited by roun90
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, roun90 said:

That's another thing - this VA has not done anything since Bayonetta 2 in 2014. She came in Smash Bros Ultimate - where the role is very minor - to the point I would not be surprised if Nintendo just re-used her old lines. She's also not done much VA work at all in the industry period with Bayonetta being her starring role.

Some 3-4 really old pre-2010 anime and last major video game on 2014. 8-10 years is a very long time and people's voices do change in that period. So Nintendo/Platinum is being held hostage by a 10 year old employee who did not do much work at all, and who only speaks up close to the release of the game - as if with an agenda to sabotage sales. It's just sad.

+1.

Add to the fact anime voice actors are paid unlivable wages but the same western fans will never boycott those

Edited by playstationdude

2 hours ago, roun90 said:

Her replacement, Jennifer Hale though - has been in the industry continuously from 1991 and never stopped.

Valid points, still doesn't allow for unlivable salary for a multi million dollar game. 

15 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Valid points, still doesn't allow for unlivable salary for a multi million dollar game. 

Maybe, as I said - she never worked nor was paid. Also, we still don't know whether her story is valid yet. It could very easily be - she was never offered the role (She did not work for almost 10 years after all), got into a temper tantrum and lied in twitter just to generate controversy and burn the game if possible. Either way, what she did was wrong - if not illegal. No respect to her just for this. If the story is even true, just don't do the role and move on. You're not entitled to a job.

Hellena Taylor (The Old VA) also said the new VA cannot sign any merchandise as Bayonetta as she was the only VA, who gave her life - speaking as though she was the only one responsible for creating the character of Bayonetta. It's not as though there are entire teams of people who created the character's looks, movements and animations. Script writers who wrote every word that Bayonetta speaks. The VA, whose contribution is to only read what others have written - only she matters. It's disgusting, tbqh.

Her quote -

"I wish her all the joy in the world, I wish her all the jobs, but she has no right to say she is the voice of Bayonetta,” Taylor said. “I created that voice. She has no right to sign merchandise as Bayonetta.”

Because of this, Jennifer Hale, the new VA is also receiving harassment it seems. Absolutely disgusting on Hellena Taylor's part.

Sourcehttps://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-18/bayonetta-3-voice-actor-s-pay-dispute-overshadows-nintendo-game

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Hellena Taylor (The Old VA) also said the new VA cannot sign any merchandise as Bayonetta as she was the only VA, who gave her life - speaking as though she was the only one responsible for creating the character of Bayonetta. It's not as though there are entire teams of people who created the character's looks, movements and animations. Script writers who wrote every word that Bayonetta speaks. The VA, whose contribution is to only read what others have written - only she matters. It's disgusting, tbqh.

Her quote -

"I wish her all the joy in the world, I wish her all the jobs, but she has no right to say she is the voice of Bayonetta,” Taylor said. “I created that voice. She has no right to sign merchandise as Bayonetta.”

Because of this, Jennifer Hale, the new VA is also receiving harassment it seems. Absolutely disgusting on Hellena Taylor's part.

Sourcehttps://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-18/bayonetta-3-voice-actor-s-pay-dispute-overshadows-nintendo-game

Apparently she was demanding a 6 figure payout. 

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

We are back to she said he said now. 

We never left. There was never any proof. Even initial statement was only "She said". She never showed her contract or proof and just accused. The burden of proof was with her as the Accuser. She never did and people still picked up pitchforks.

I just don't like how she tried to throw the entire team under the bus. Especially by calling out the New VA by name specifically.

Also Jason Schrier is generally very trustworthy and he is generally right most times. He's also generally fighting for employee rights against the management.

• 2 weeks later...