Official Nintendo Switch Thread

19 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

I wonder how much money they're losing by having a hybrid system instead of 2 systems like wii and ds. 

I would say not much at all. Nintendo Home console systems have been a massive flop for a very long time now. Meanwhile, they have been "Kings of Handheld" to the point that their Handheld makes even more money than other "Traditional" Consoles, especially if you compare software sales.

Nintendo's highest selling "Home" console was the Wii. Even that, many people just bought the machine and the Wii Sports that came bundled for free, and never purchased another game at all. Not much of a point.

I would say Switch was their best decision. They removed themselves from the "Hardware Power" race, and combined both the aspects, most likely saving money on developing a traditional home console with expensive parts - while at the same time keeping their massive Handheld user-base intact, along with it's bonkers software sales.

Though I'm really enjoying the Switch, can't say I'm a fan of the joycons. The lack of a proper D-pad and the binary shoulder buttons(as in they are unlike Xbox/PS's shoulder buttons) hurts. Also the ergonomics are not the best. There are some shady third party joy cons on Amazon which seem to provide better ergonomics for like 5k but can't trust them. 

Edited by Aloy

17 minutes ago, Aloy said:

Though I'm really enjoying the Switch, can't say I'm a fan of the joycons. The lack of a proper D-pad and the binary shoulder buttons(as in they are unlike Xbox/PS's shoulder buttons) hurts. Also the ergonomics are not the best. There are some shady third party joy cons on Amazon which seem to provide better ergonomics for like 5k but can't trust them. 

Just get the Pro Controller. It's amazing. If you ever play Docked - it will really shine there as well.

31 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Just get the Pro Controller. It's amazing. If you ever play Docked - it will really shine there as well.

Have heard a lot of good things about them but damn they are expensive. Gotta save up.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

So whats the cheapest way to get into Nintendo switch ecosystem??

If you want a pure handheld experience, then get a second hand switch lite. Loads are available now. gameloot has it for 14K so you can find one probably for 11-12K. But if you want the dock mode then go for second hand V2 consoles which are also available now that people are upgrading to OLED.

22 minutes ago, b!T said:

If you want a pure handheld experience, then get a second hand switch lite. Loads are available now. gameloot has it for 14K so you can find one probably for 11-12K. But if you want the dock mode then go for second hand V2 consoles which are also available now that people are upgrading to OLED.

Is it worth buying one 2nd hand??

especially with the stick drift etc?

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Is it worth buying one 2nd hand??

especially with the stick drift etc?

Stick drift is a concern even for new units. Since we don't have official Ninty presence, no warranty on even new ones as well unless you can source from abroad.

I got stick drift and joycon charging issues after 4 months on the launch model. Bought a pro controller and still using that. Got a V2 last year but it's working fine so far.

2 hours ago, Snake said:

So whats the cheapest way to get into Nintendo switch ecosystem??

If you're remotely interested in playing handheld, OLED model is the way to go. 

If only docked, 2nd hand V2 + Pro controller. 

1 minute ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

If you're remotely interested in playing handheld, OLED model is the way to go. 

If only docked, 2nd hand V2 + Pro controller. 

I get that, but I’m not gonna close to 40k on something that has no warranty and 2. something I may rarely play.

Just want to dip my toes

1 minute ago, Snake said:

I get that, but I’m not gonna close to 40k on something that has no warranty and 2. something I may rarely play.

Just want to dip my toes

Just get a 2nd hand lite then. OLED models now go for around 31k I guess. Not really heard of Switchs' breaking. JC drift is real though. You can't replace them on Lite. 

38 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Just get a 2nd hand lite then. OLED models now go for around 31k I guess. Not really heard of Switchs' breaking. JC drift is real though. You can't replace them on Lite. 

but can the JC drift be fixed on the lites?

25 minutes ago, Snake said:

but can the JC drift be fixed on the lites?

If you mean swap out then it can be done, per ifixit the sticks are connected to the rest by a tiny ribbon cable, so no soldering is needed

• Thanks 1