Official Nintendo Switch Thread

Gentle reminder for people who are still interested buying Wii U and 3DS stuff from eshop. Eshop cards will not be redeemable starting August 29th so fill up if you want. And as you know stores will close on March 2023.

14 hours ago, radicaldude said:

They need better hardware to compensate for the loss of performance due to this sh*t tech. 

I doubt this will come to 1st party Nintendo games, and honestly, that's all I care about. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

They need better hardware to compensate for the loss of performance due to this sh*t tech. 

I doubt this will come to 1st party Nintendo games, and honestly, that's all I care about. 

Nintendo first party is most concerned about emulation. Nobody would be emulating The Witcher 3 Switch version. 

They need to make decent hardware imo and stop over charging for console/ games. Will go a long way in curbing emulation scene.

17 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Well, some are claiming that this is not actually anti piracy drm but anti emulation drm so won't affect the performance much. 

Waiting for a deep dive on this thing. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Anti emulation, it’ll have to authenticate the game periodically to ensure it’s running on the console the account id is tied to. Don’t see how that’s any different from anti piracy. 
Quite unnecessary considering how much money Nintendo makes from it. Clear case of corporate greed.

To be fair, Nintendo is not involved in this, yet. These folks have created the tech and are expecting developers to adopt it including Nintendo. However, knowing Ninty, they might do it 

30 minutes ago, Vaibhavp said:

Nintendo first party is most concerned about emulation. Nobody would be emulating The Witcher 3 Switch version. 

They need to make decent hardware imo and stop over charging for console/ games. Will go a long way in curbing emulation scene.

The HW is actually amazing as far as portable is concerned. Nintendo is not trying to compete with Sony/MS and they are not into Home Console/High Graphics business.

The problem right now is - there is no competitor in Handheld business (Or Handheld+Home Console). Steam Deck is not a competitor to Switch and cannot match Nintendo's first party titles. It's easy at this point for Nintendo to curb emulation/piracy. They just have to go the way of the Vita, and go for proprietary memory cards and custom HW. Nintendo 1st parties will ensure that Switch successor does not share the Vita's fate.

As such, this DRM might be better than HW locks which will literally make things expensive and inconvenient for customers.

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

such, this DRM might be better than HW locks which will literally make things expensive and inconvenient for customers.

I disagree. The HW is already reaching it's limits, and any added layer will also add latency, performance issues etc. 

Nintendo is obviously very very strict about emulation and ROMs, and they have already sued and won against some of the most popular ROM sharing sites. 

They also know that limitation of the HW, so I hope they don't really go this way and add useless CPU/GPU clock cycles, wasting an already underpowered SoC. 

20 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

Argentina works :fear: That's where I buy my games. 

Sorry to double quote but I checked and this extra info you need to purchase from Argentina. How do you provide this info?

1) CPA number 

2) Telephone number 

3) Documento Nacional de Identidad (DNI)

27 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

How ? CC ?

Yes. I use my HDFC. 

17 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

What amount or % of tax do you pay for the purchase?

The conversion rate is listed as 0.6 INR. The tax is not clear, but when the card does get charged, the equivalent amount is almost 0.9 INR. But it's still cheaper when compared to most stores. 

11 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

Sorry to double quote but I checked and this extra info you need to purchase from Argentina. How do you provide this info?

1) CPA number 

2) Telephone number 

3) Documento Nacional de Identidad (DNI)

There's a generator for CUIL that is available online. You enter that value along with your CC and you can purchase easily. Purchased Burnout for like 500 bucks just over a week back. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:
19 hours ago, 0verlord said:

The conversion rate is listed as 0.6 INR. The tax is not clear, but when the card does get charged, the equivalent amount is almost 0.9 INR. But it's still cheaper when compared to most stores

dafaq. This is from Nintendo Argentina support

How much tax is due on my purchase (Argentina only)?

Purchases of foreign digital services or content by Argentine consumers are subject to VAT, PAIS, and Resolution 4815/2020 taxes. The 8% PAIS and 45% Resolution 4815/2020 taxes (which were later increased by Resolution 5232/2022), will be charged by the local payment processor. On purchases in Argentine pesos in the amount equivalent to $10 USD or less, 21% VAT will also be charged by the local payment processor. Depending on where you live, local turnover taxes may also apply and will be charged by the local payment processor. The taxes will appear on your bank or credit card statement.