Yakuza 0

Shadoken

• 3 months later...

So I just got done with Yakuza 6 story line and with that the Dragon of Dogima journey.

Having taken a gaming break from 2019 till mid 2021 and with the launch of PS5, I felt it was the right time to come back.

And man was I not spoiled with choices with the majority of AAA titles available like LOU 2 and others waiting for me.

Don't know why at that time, I felt I needed to try something different, so I just bought yakuza 0 on sale for 399 without seeing any trailers, reviews in june 2021.

Fast-forward to May 2022 and just around a year, I am done with the kiryu saga and those 7 titles. 

WHAT A BLAST IT HAS BEEN :wub:

• Talking about the kiryu saga as a whole, I would rate them in the following order:
  1. Y-0
  2. Y-6 Song of Life
  3. Y-4
  4. Y-5
  5. Y-3
  6. Y-1 (Kiwami)
  7. Y-2 (Kiwami 2)

Have to be honest, if I had started with Kiwami as an entry point in the series, I would not have completed it because it was difficult to care for both protagonists as I found little reason to connect with them or this universe.

BUT, this is where Yakuza 0 completely changes that view point. 

So anyone looking to start and complete this saga, Yakuza 0 will give you the initial adrenaline push to be connected with this franchise.

Now lets fast-forward

Hurry Up Countdown GIF by Escape Hunt UK

Song of life is a fitting ending to the kiryu saga and gives you that mental satisfaction of playing through the entire series through the hints of previous events mentioned not only in the main story but also the freaking SIDE STORIES (Pocket circuit Fighter, SHORO PIPI guy etc.)

The main story is second best in the series, just after 0 because they make us care about the supporting characters again which hadn't happened since 0. For e.g. 

Spoiler

The Someya sacrifice scene at the end or that hirose scene

Won't write a lot about side stories and side activities because they are always top-notch and the RGG team is coming with new ideas, which is always good to see.

Now will take a proper break (for REAL this time) before I jump into the remaining 3 games, but before that I need to go back to RIZAP Gym to get those sessions done.

Favorite soundtracks from the series

Edited by hazard12345
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Bauji said:

Gave up in the middle of 5. Was getting too repetitive after 6 games(0-4, Fotns)

But will be definitely completing his saga.

I can understand. 5 was way too long. With 6, I directly went for the main storyline and later all the side content in premium mode. Definitely don't miss that one. I can tell you it's way better than 5 for sure and you'll enjoy it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Love this game, I just finished chapter 9 was it yesterday? fully bollywood feels, hero surrounded by like 20 goons along with the boss goon Kuze, Kiryu thrashes all the minions effortlessly, and then Kuze who gets humiliated for the 3rd time, first metal pipe, now metal knuckles, next this living failure will come after Kiryu with a katana i'm sure :rofl:

Btw guys is it just me or are the rush and brawler styles useless? beast style is best, good for crowd control and also thrashing a single target.

42 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Btw guys is it just me or are the rush and brawler styles useless? beast style is best, good for crowd control and also thrashing a single target.

Rush is great for mobility. It's extremely helpful depending on how much you have leveled up that tree. With enough upgrade nodes unlocked, you can literally build up the heat bar to max and just rain down punches non stop while dodging like crazy. It's very helpful in higher difficulties with boss fights where you need speed to be your best friend, unless you're a counter guru. I don't remember using Brawler too much honestly. With Kiryu, for me, it was either Beast or Rush style (and Dragon of Dojima to some extent). The heat moves for these styles were immensely satisfying. 

@PhantomShade Don't forget to do the Side-Missions/Sub-Missions. They are the best in the series, and really fun and hilarious. Many times they are better than the main story itself, and an amazing distraction from the melodramatic main story. Even the mini-games have their own side stories. Best part - many times the side stories even grow in between titles (So for example, you start a side-story in Yakuza 0 and finish it - the NPC's story continues in Yakuza Kiwami and then at Kiwani 2 etc. all the way to Yakuza 6. Even Side NPCs have character development. Each title also introduces new Side Missions and new NPCs as well of course). Also, definitely don't forget to do the Hostess Club, Real Estate and Pocket Circuit Fighter mini-games.

8 hours ago, roun90 said:

@PhantomShade Don't forget to do the Side-Missions/Sub-Missions. They are the best in the series, and really fun and hilarious. Many times they are better than the main story itself, and an amazing distraction from the melodramatic main story. Even the mini-games have their own side stories. Best part - many times the side stories even grow in between titles (So for example, you start a side-story in Yakuza 0 and finish it - the NPC's story continues in Yakuza Kiwami and then at Kiwani 2 etc. all the way to Yakuza 6. Even Side NPCs have character development. Each title also introduces new Side Missions and new NPCs as well of course). Also, definitely don't forget to do the Hostess Club, Real Estate and Pocket Circuit Fighter mini-games.

This

Real estate, hostess club, and poketo stah fietah are the best

Right so confession time... I have never played a single Yakuza game, EVER! :fear1:

Having said that... I was thinking having finished STRAY (absolutely loved it!) should I sink my teeth into Yakuza 0 (PC version)? Heard and read such great things about this series.

Edited by Black_Hawk

24 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

Having said that... I was thinking having finished STRAY (absolutely loved it!) should I sink my teeth into Yakuza 0 (PC version)? Heard and read such great things about this series.

Yes, absolutely; It's the perfect entry point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black_Hawk said:

Right so confession time... I have never played a single Yakuza game, EVER! :fear1:

phone demonstrates GIF

Im calling Kiryu

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

Yakuza 0 is optimized for controllers. So if you're playing the PC version, it's best to have a controller to play it (3rd party controllers are fine).

Edited by roun90

12 hours ago, roun90 said:

Yakuza 0 is optimized for controllers. So if you're playing the PC version, it's best to have a controller to play it (3rd party controllers are fine).

Yup, I'll be playing with my trusty Xbox One controller on PC. :)

I'm actually having a hard time deciding which to play next between Yakuza 0 and A Plague Tale: Innocence which I haven't played as well.

Edited by Black_Hawk