Red Dead Redemption II

Big Boss

Those definitely look like in-game shots rendered by the engine and can be pulled off with the existing console hardware. The character model close-up captures would probably be cut-scenes, hence, the immense details. 

^^ The second pic (in the snow) & the last pic (with the two guns, destruction behind him and all that), were what i was referring to, the details seem insane to be pulled off in PS4 .... but like you said, they could be from pre-rendered cut-scenes.

btw, aren't westerns supposed to be set in arid deserts ? Interesting to see so much of vegetation and snow .... :huh:

Edited by Ne0

When you open the screenshot, you can clearly see the quality. The jaggedness and texture quality. 

SggGK1j.png

DJU9r6n.png

Likely photo-mode used while taking shots. Even Horizon looks way better than above screens. So unlikely they are promo shots. 

Anyways, still quite far away and a lot of polishing will happen. 

btw, aren't westerns supposed to be set in arid deserts? Interesting to see so much of vegetation and snow... 

The snowy mountain range resembles the Rocky mountains. And the rest slides little eastwards towards states like Wyoming and Montana. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

^^ The second pic (in the snow) & the last pic (with the two guns, destruction behind him and all that), were what i was referring to, the details seem insane to be pulled off in PS4 .... but like you said, they could be from pre-rendered cut-scenes.

Both the photos have high depth-of-field effect. You can see the focus is on the main charatcer(s) and the background is blurred. Also the textures are dead give away; they aren't completely crisp. If it was a CGI cinematic trailer, you could have easily spotted it like the ones Ubisoft pulls off for all their games. 

Also, as far as I remember, Rockstar has pretty much used all their trailer and demo video from in-game assets. Even if you date it back to the Vice City, San Andreas & GTA IV days, every trailer they showed was pretty much close to how the models translated into the actual game. So it's safe to say, they can achieve this level of technical detail, considering how amazing GTA V looked on the current gen consoles. PC would be ever better (goes without saying). 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, adity said:

Graphics are just an we element of games. 

I just hope they deliver a story at least as good as RDR and make the game fun to play rather than cutting sh*t out for baiting is to buy MTs. 

I've played enough games in the past year to know that graphics don't mean jack 

RDR had a story ?  :P

I enjoyed RDR more for the characters, open world, the side quests and the unexpected ending ! The side quests in RDR were some of the best in open world games !

Yeah even I'm not that impressed by those shots. I was expecting something more, especially after what they did with GTA5 on last gen consoles and modern open world games like Horizon. Obviously, it's very early to judge anyway. 

As for "Graphics mean jackshit", they play a role for me but it differs from game to game. An example would be a tellTale game, where I'd would appreciate more visual fidelity as it helps in refining the emotional connection with the game.

There's nothing wrong in expecting good visuals, if visuals didn't matter, ppl wouldn't be buying ps4/xone.  It may not be the deciding factor in a game like RDR, but I would be happy if they upped the ante from previous games.

More than just pixels and textures, its the attention to details that RDR and R* games in general excel at. The horses in RDR were for the longest time the best animated and most lifelike horses in videogames. You could see individual muscles flexing in their legs when you made them run at full speed.