Red Dead Redemption II

Big Boss

Rockstar has rolled out an update to its launcher that, among other things, fixes some crashes that can occur when starting Red Dead Redemption 2, including the Epic Games Store version.

Here's the full changelog:

Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "The Rockstar Games Launcher failed to initialize" on startup
    Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher preload decryption getting stuck and not completing
    Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "The Rockstar Games Launcher exited unexpectedly" when launching Red Dead Redemption 2
    Fixed an issue that resulted in crashes when starting the Rockstar Games Launcher from the Epic Games Launcher
    Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "Unable to launch game, please verify your game data" when launching Red Dead Redemption 2 from the Epic Games Launcher

To update the launcher, close any Rockstar games that may be running, and then close the launcher itself by right-clicking the icon in the Windows taskbar and selecting exit. Then restart it (I always like to wait a beat first) and the update should apply automatically.

Also, here is the RDR 2 (PC) Launch Issues/ Other problems and apparent solves so far:

RDR 2 Issues Megathread

• Like 1

Be smart and wait for STEAM release. Many issues will be fixed by then and we'll get to play on a stable platform.

Issues might be ironed out as time progresses but steam will be just another store, you have to deal with the Rockstar launcher anyway

Btw I have completed chapter 1, chap 2 camp looks so nice

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

aa9af7995983fbd7dbde3e5c06da0bd1.jpg

1 minute ago, Black_Hawk said:

Holy sh*t... seriously? This is really sad man, after pre-order and everything. Did you update your BIOS and use the fix they released?

Did not do the BIOS update

1 minute ago, Aercy said:

Did not do the BIOS update

Helped some people in getting the game to run. Also, updating Windows 10 from version 1809 to 1903.

I was going through that massive Reddit thread now (the link I posted earlier) and lots of people still unable to launch the game, even after doing the BIOS, fix and Windows updates. :(

13 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Issues might be ironed out as time progresses but steam will be just another store, you have to deal with the Rockstar launcher anyway

Btw I have completed chapter 1, chap 2 camp looks so nice

aa9af7995983fbd7dbde3e5c06da0bd1.jpg

R* don't want bad reviews so even if they add DRM on Steam then they'll need to iron things out before launching the game on STEAM which tends sell millions of copies. 

Also you'll be downloading and launching it from STEAM itself and the r* launcher will be sitting ideally in background doing literally nothing.

So the STEAM users won't be facing any issues. If the game is causing problems than it's a whole different matter but i don't think that's the problem here.

You'll have to start R* launcher before starting the game from STEAM, the game will verify the link first and then begin. If they add DRM. 

So start the launcher - sign in - minimize and do whatever you want through STEAM. 

So, anyone here who pre-ordered the game has been able to run it or is everyone in the dark still with that Launcher problem?
I faced freezing issue in chapter 1, in chapter 2, game is running fine, i am using high to ultra settings and getting 30-40 fps..i am loving the wilderness.. There was a 3gb update recently.

I think the main culprit here is the Launcher which is causing problems for many unfortunate players and Rockstar don't want to admit the fact. Steam is still the king of PC launcher.

Btw I think any new Rockstar game might need their launcher, irrespective of digital store , very much like Ubisoft and performance will be mainly linked to that launcher, let's wait n see. Btw Steam has the best game backup option, in Rockstar launcher,you can only move the installed game very much like Microsoft store

• Like 2