Red Dead Redemption II

Big Boss

Reached Saint Denis today (Chapter 4) and wow this area is so different! I had once before ventured into this place when I had to carry an injured man on my horse to a doctor in Saint Denis but I didn't explore it much then.

After all the wilderness and open country land the sudden industrial areas and developed city-scape hits hard. At night though, those street lights and shadows licking the streets spell such a sense of mystery to this place. Very early 1900's mystery movie-like. I really feel Rockstar should make a horror/ suspense game based on a city designed like this... would so dig the atmosphere!

Edited by Black_Hawk

33 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

Yes, I'm playing it on PC and that's the exact same problem I faced as well! It drove me nuts. However, in my case the problem was solved when I switched from Vulkan to DirectX 12. After doing that switch, that ERR_GFX_STATE error hasn't popped up even once (knock on wood!).

You can also try this one method suggested by Rockstar:

Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC crashing with ERR_GFX_STATE error - Fix

Thanks. Will try this and get back.

41 minutes ago, TheMonark said:

Thanks. Will try this and get back.

Sure. Hope it works!

Also, check the link below:

Red Dead Redemption 2 ERR_GFX_STATE Error - Fixes

Scroll down to FIX 3 in the above link and there you'll see that if the SGA File deletions didn't work there is another trick mentioned there you can try:

"If deleting these files (SGA Files) didn’t work for you, you can alternatively create three empty text files of size 0B and make those files read-only. Also, change the names to sga_xxx accordingly. This might be very specific to your setup and the true root cause you’re havin".

Edited by Black_Hawk
  • Thanks 1

I just got this on PC for the RDR Online on steam yesterday.

I have played the single player on my PS4, one of my favourite games now. Looks so damn good.

Now on pc with my Nvidia 1060 6 gb and Corei7 10700 I can't manage 60 fps 1080p resolution even in medium settings lol. Since I am sitting close to monitor it looks ugly with textures looking blur.

Any suggestions to improve visuals quality?

I used the resolution scaling and made it more than 1 and fps dropped to 12 lol but image quality looked like PS4 With sharper textures.

Sent from my motorola one fusion+ using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

Sure. Hope it works!

Also, check the link below:

Red Dead Redemption 2 ERR_GFX_STATE Error - Fixes

Scroll down to FIX 3 in the above link and there you'll see that if the SGA File deletions didn't work there is another trick mentioned there you can try:

"If deleting these files (SGA Files) didn’t work for you, you can alternatively create three empty text files of size 0B and make those files read-only. Also, change the names to sga_xxx accordingly. This might be very specific to your setup and the true root cause you’re havin".

Played for 1.5 hours last night and there was no crash. I am hoping that your suggestions fixed the issue. Thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheMonark said:

Played for 1.5 hours last night and there was no crash. I am hoping that your suggestions fixed the issue. Thanks

That's good to hear.

Lo and behold today after days of being absolutely no problems running the game, this ERR_GFX_STATE error showed it's ugly face again. Froze the game. Re-started the game again and then no problems. This problems it seems isn't quite completely ironed out by the methods floating around on the Internet.

5 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

That's good to hear.

Lo and behold today after days of being absolutely no problems running the game, this ERR_GFX_STATE error showed it's ugly face again. Froze the game. Re-started the game again and then no problems. This problems it seems isn't quite completely ironed out by the methods floating around on the Internet.

Played 2 hours today as well. No crashes as of yet. However, I am still saving every 15 minutes.

The game is not working flawlessly for everyone. There are a lot of complaints on reddit and other forums. I was ready to give up till you pointed out new solutions. Lets hope they don't become too frequent.

Back to the game though...

Took Mary to the theater today and wow what a show it was... watched all the shows entirely, having Arthur cheer all the way! The Fire Lady "Miss Antoinette Sanseverino" was my favorite act. :thumbsup:

This game, the way it's stacked with such delicious slices of entertainment is so brilliant.

I have a question though, lets say I go visit the Theater again (free roam)... do the same shows repeat over again or is there something new in there as well?

12 minutes ago, TheMonark said:

Played 2 hours today as well. No crashes as of yet. However, I am still saving every 15 minutes.

The game is not working flawlessly for everyone. There are a lot of complaints on reddit and other forums. I was ready to give up till you pointed out new solutions. Lets hope they don't become too frequent.

Yes, saving often is a prudent thing to do. More so in a huge open-world game like this. I usually save every few minutes and also after every mission/ side mission as a thumb rule.

Worst thing I have had happen to me is have that ERR_GFX_STATE error pop up in the middle of a mission. Had it happen to me twice so far mid-mission and had to start the mission from square one. Extremely annoying! I don't know why Rockstar hasn't come up with a solid solve for this bug.

15 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

Back to the game though...

Took Mary to the theater today and wow what a show it was... watched all the shows entirely, having Arthur cheer all the way! The Fire Lady "Miss Antoinette Sanseverino" was my favorite act. :thumbsup:

This game, the way it's stacked with such delicious slices of entertainment is so brilliant.

I have a question though, lets say I go visit the Theater again (free roam)... do the same shows repeat over again or is there something new in there as well?

There is a mission later where you go to the theater. Its in the epilogue. 

This game is just packed with entertainment. 

• Like 1

So I was doing this mission where you had to chase after a boy to get a Crucifix when I ran into...

Mrs. Downes!!

And looks like the poor woman after repaying our debts turned to prostitution...

Gosh, I already felt bad when the game had me take the money from her but now this? :samui:

I hope the game somehow gives me a chance to save her and give her back a good life. I would like that very much.

15 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

So I was doing this mission where you had to chase after a boy to get a Crucifix when I ran into...

Reveal hidden contents

Mrs. Downes!!

And looks like the poor woman after repaying our debts turned to prostitution...

Gosh, I already felt bad when the game had me take the money from her but now this? :samui:

I hope the game somehow gives me a chance to save her and give her back a good life. I would like that very much.

The story will keep unfolding.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, quixote_1989 said:

The story will keep unfolding.

Nice... I hope it has a good ending (finger's crossed!) :fear1:

Also, that start to the mission where you have to catch that boy for the Crucifix: As I walked to the mission start point I saw Sister Calderon sitting with the young boys teaching. The conversations with the boys was so hilarious! I actually stood there and heard the entire length of the conversation and only then triggered the mission :rofl:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

Nice... I hope it has a good ending (finger's crossed!) :fear1:

Also, that start to the mission where you have to catch that boy for the Crucifix: As I walked to the mission start point I saw Sister Calderon sitting with the young boys teaching. The conversations with the boys was so hilarious! I actually stood there and heard the entire length of the conversation and only then triggered the mission :rofl:

Again started crashing. I have not changed any settings since the last time. Lets see how long can I manage these before quitting.

Completed the mission "The Mercies of Knowledge"...

IMG-20210215-171130.jpg

An ironic and sudden ending for Professor Andrew Bell III :fear1:

Also, completed Act 4 today and OMG what a mission to end it! That entire Bank Robbery mission was crazy!! And now I have been completely left...

marooned on a desolate island!!

I feel like Tom Hanks in Cast Away!

11 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

Completed the mission "The Mercies of Knowledge"...

Hide contents

IMG-20210215-171130.jpg

An ironic and sudden ending for Professor Andrew Bell III :fear1:

Also, completed Act 4 today and OMG what a mission to end it! That entire Bank Robbery mission was crazy!! And now I have been completely left...

Reveal hidden contents

marooned on a desolate island!!

I feel like Tom Hanks in Cast Away!

I finished the bank robbery and the entire next mission in one sitting, could not put it down.

I had this moment today in the game...

I cannot even begin to put into words how far the music went in making this ride back home special. The open wild lands, noir night, moonlit skies and me riding back after a fantastic few missions... ohh Rockstar you beauty!

• Like 1

Guarma missions were bloody fantastic! Started Chapter VI today.

Met Mrs. Downes again! Down in Annesburg this time when I went to reach Meredith who I rescued from Beaver Hollow. Poor woman, she looked so jaded and dirty. She was inviting a client into her house when she noticed Arthur and dashed into her house in a hurry! The client left and told Arthur "Thanks Buddy", LoL! No pie for him.

I next headed straight to her mission icon as soon as it popped up in Annesburg and saved Archie from the bullies in the Mines. Looks like I finally have a chance for redemption. I really want to make it right with Mrs. Downes.

Also, Arthur is beginning to look really pale now with Tuberculosis. His eyes are red with Tuberculosis Conjunctivitis as well. Sad. Late 1800's so no cure for it as well other than managing the disease in warmer climates.

Edited by Black_Hawk

5 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

Guarma missions were bloody fantastic! Started Chapter VI today.

Met Mrs. Downes again! Down in Annesburg this time when I went to reach Meredith who I rescued from Beaver Hollow. Poor woman, she looked so jaded and dirty. She was inviting a client into her house when she noticed Arthur and dashed into her house in a hurry! The client left and told Arthur "Thanks Buddy", LoL! No pie for him.

Reveal hidden contents

I next headed straight to her mission icon as soon as it popped up in Annesburg and saved Archie from the bullies in the Mines. Looks like I finally have a chance for redemption. I really want to make it right with Mrs. Downes.

Also, Arthur is beginning to look really pale now with Tuberculosis. His eyes are red with Tuberculosis Conjunctivitis as well. Sad. Late 1800's so no cure for it as well other than managing the disease in warmer climates.

:(