The Last of Us : Part II

WhiteWolf

15 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

Shame on them for wanting to sell their game to the maximum potential

Ofcourse, considering how FF7 remake, Doom eternal, RE3 remake sales plummeted. Sony didn't wanted to take any risk here. 

Good thinking sony. 

41 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

FF15 was on 2 platforms and was insanely overshipped. FF7 has been out of stock for majority of the pre-release window, so for it shipped is basically sold numbers. If Sony wants they can manufacture disks and ship them worldwide. The factories in China are not shut anymore like they were for FF7 copies.

Yup, but considering the no of Xboxes sold, most of that no might have been PS4 nos anyway. 

But still, this proves that physical was necessary for those nos.

Also, it's not just the factories is it? US was relatively open if Feb. But now, situation is different. Yes, discs might be manufactured. But is the US/EU customs functioning to allow goods, especially non-essentials to come from China? Are the transporters functioning between China and EU for non-essentials like Blu Ray discs? Are warehouses ready to accept China made video game discs now? Are the Police still giving permission for storage of those? Tons of links that are not functioning, especially as the relationship between US and China is deteriorating day by day.

Also what @l33tmaniac said was spot on. But not only that, it sets a very unhealthy precedent in the market. It tells that all other partners are unimportant. And for end customers, it also tells that Sony can kill the 2nd hand market at any time. And once this slippery slope starts, it will end with death of 2nd hand market. Frankly for us (Me at least) ruining the entire gaming industry is just not worth it - to avoid a couple of months delay on 1-2 games

Edited by roun90

5 minutes ago, roun90 said:

Yup, but considering the no of Xboxes sold, most of that no might have been PS4 nos anyway. 

But still, this proves that physical was necessary for those nos.

Also, it's not just the factories is it? US was relatively open if Feb. But now, situation is different. Yes, discs might be manufactured. But is the US/EU customs functioning to allow goods, especially non-essentials to come from China? Are the transporters functioning between China and EU for non-essentials like Blu Ray discs? Are warehouses ready to accept China made video game discs now? Are the Police still giving permission for storage of those? Tons of links that are not functioning, especially as the relationship between US and China is deteriorating day by day.

They're all up and running for movie blu-rays, all of them are on schedule. SW Episode IX just came out on 4K BR and next month's big releases are on track as well.

34 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

Ofcourse, considering how FF7 remake, Doom eternal, RE3 remake sales plummeted. Sony didn't wanted to take any risk here. 

Good thinking sony. 

Yes, lets ignore the fact that when those game came, COVID was not at its peak and there were physical game deliveries and shops still open. Last of Us would have released right in the middle of it. This game has the potential to be the best selling PS4 exclusive (at least at launch) and that is way higher than the likes of Doom Eternal and RE3 remake. If the target was the sales of those games, it wouldn't have mattered.

2 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Apparently angry dev leaked it over payment dispute. 

oof

Purely stupid if this is true. Like the employee literally put the cart before the horse. Payment Dispute? If the employee is identified, this will go on his/her record, and he/she will most likely be blacklisted from the video game industry (And most probably the movie/animation industry as well), since Sony is a major player in those. Most probably he/she will also not be able to work on any job that involves the slightest bit of IP or Confidentiality, whatever industry it may be. And if Sony/ND really wanted blood, they can make him/her run to lawyers and courts till he/she is completely bankrupted.

Still feel a bit sorry for both the ND employees (If stories of their exploitation are true) and ND/Sony whose entire teams of 1000s of employees and tons of money investment is affected. Hopefully, this does not impact actual sales much.

14 minutes ago, GameAnalyzer said:

https://kotaku.com/as-naughty-dog-crunches-on-the-last-of-us-ii-developer-1842289962

Kotaku did an Investigation with Employees of ND

It's a good read. They talk about Uncharted Dev experiences as well

SP2RCsM.png

So a few want to sh*t on the efforts of many others and put their jobs at risk..GG

Just now, Snake said:

So a few want to sh*t on the efforts of many others and put their jobs at risk..GG

Yeah :\ Literally feel bad for the rest of the employees. And its really hard to believe all this is happening over a payment dispute  :| 

They will probably announce the date very soon now, if they delay it further then people will probably decide to play it on their ps5 whenever they can find one which could impact sales too.

With the entire world at home right now this was the best moment to release the game,they could have easily made up the lost physical sales with more than extra digital sales. It's been 4 years since the reveal already for crying out loud ?

Edited by triggr happy ss

(Some) People would always/mostly go for physical version(s) of a game, atleast a large chunk of the PS audience in the sub-continent, for a simple reason i.e. the resale value  the physical versions have. People with good internet connections always have the option of downloading a game at 12am, but I reckon, that percentage is not that high, atleast in India. I wonder how many people in India downloaded the 100 gigs + FF7. Fanboys, for sure, but rest I doubt. Many would have definitely jumped on it if a physical copy was available. I guess sony makes much more in physical sales from markets such as India, and thus it would always want to release a "AAA exclusive" physically simultaneously.

3 hours ago, radicaldude said:

(Some) People would always/mostly go for physical version(s) of a game, atleast a large chunk of the PS audience in the sub-continent, for a simple reason i.e. the resale value  the physical versions have. People with good internet connections always have the option of downloading a game at 12am, but I reckon, that percentage is not that high, atleast in India. I wonder how many people in India downloaded the 100 gigs + FF7. Fanboys, for sure, but rest I doubt. Many would have definitely jumped on it if a physical copy was available. I guess sony makes much more in physical sales from markets such as India, and thus it would always want to release a "AAA exclusive" physically simultaneously.

Yeah. Don't know about others but I have always played using discs. Have 1gbps connection since 3-4yrs, I can even download 50GB PS PLUS free games within an hour yet I am never going to buy a game online if the disc version exists, simply because I can sell the disc once I am done with the game.  Maybe majority here buys the game online but in real life almost every friend of mine who's into gaming buys the disc and then sells it after playing, just how I do. :notangel:

• Like 1