The Last of Us : Part II

WhiteWolf

3 hours ago, hazard12345 said:

Just completed this one. What a f**ked up, depressing story and with that ending. Gameplay is top-notch and very satisfying especially when combing both stealth and gun play when clearing an area.

Hope they go back to uncharted now, where the characters which the fans love could still be played around with. 

The story, specially Ellie's arc is so beyond dumb I just couldn't get myself to finish the game,  

Despite kadak gameplay 

• 3 months later...

Finally finished this game . Kept off playing this game for so long as i wanted to play it on PS5 for performance boost. 

Amazing game overall . They did mess up the story . But the gameplay and graphics are just top notch . Has to be the 2nd best looking game on PS4 after GOW. 

I understand the Dev's have a right to tell the story the way they want but yeah it's consumers who pay for it with their time and money and have a right to be disappointed if game's story wasn't what they were looking for and just didn't have the same impact as the first game which got so many people hooked in the game . But yeah the toxicity and hate towards the game director's and some of the voice actors is absolutely disgusting. 

In the end it's a shame that a game with blockbuster sales potential suffered because few key story decisions were bad and executed poorly. Most fans would have been okay with the story if it was executed in a different manner. Like letting different story arcs run side by side rather than one after the other to build up more tension and get gamers involved in both arcs at the same time . 

7 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

Finally finished this game . Kept off playing this game for so long as i wanted to play it on PS5 for performance boost. 

Amazing game overall . They did mess up the story . But the gameplay and graphics are just top notch . Has to be the 2nd best looking game on PS4 after GOW. 

I understand the Dev's have a right to tell the story the way they want but yeah it's consumers who pay for it with their time and money and have a right to be disappointed if game's story wasn't what they were looking for and just didn't have the same impact as the first game which got so many people hooked in the game . But yeah the toxicity and hate towards the game director's and some of the voice actors is absolutely disgusting. 

In the end it's a shame that a game with blockbuster sales potential suffered because few key story decisions were bad and executed poorly. Most fans would have been okay with the story if it was executed in a different manner. Like letting different story arcs run side by side rather than one after the other to build up more tension and get gamers involved in both arcs at the same time . 

How is a typical combat segment like? are you "incentivized" to do stealth kills and use bow arrow because ammo is less or can you go out guns blazing also?

Like even metro exodus is a "survival" game but you can eventually gather enough crafting materials in that you will not have ammo shortage later on in game, but then I remember ammo was hard to come by in TLoU1.

I was also planning to buy and play that's why asking, it's the only other made for ps4 exclusive aside from GoT i haven't played yet.

24 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

How is a typical combat segment like? are you "incentivized" to do stealth kills and use bow arrow because ammo is less or can you go out guns blazing also?

Like even metro exodus is a "survival" game but you can eventually gather enough crafting materials in that you will not have ammo shortage later on in game, but then I remember ammo was hard to come by in TLoU1.

I was also planning to buy and play that's why asking, it's the only other made for ps4 exclusive aside from GoT i haven't played yet.

Yes like TLOU1 resources are scarce in general. You definitely can't go all guns blazing . Also the limit of ammo you can hold is also stiff for most weapons. Either under 10/20 .  Stealth kills definitely help a lot . 

But yeah like Comingle said it's pretty dynamic and you have to use a mix of stealth / melee kills and guns to get through and I would recommend this way to play as well. 

I tried one of the encounters ( a challenge mode where you play out just one battle sequence from the game ) at Grounded level - toughest level . I was given 2 arrows and 1 bullet . Yes that's it and killed 8 enemies using mix of stealth / melee and bullets/arrows ( got few ammo while running around as well ) 

13 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

Respectfully disagree on the story part.

I think it blows the first part's story out of the water with how impactful it is.

Heck, not even many movies have had the same impact on me as this did. It's a challenging story that only the gaming medium could've fully justified.

I'm glad Druckmann told the story that he wanted to tell instead of catering to fans. A bold decision that well and truly paid off as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Respectfully disagree on the story part.

I think it blows the first part's story out of the water with how impactful it is.

Heck, not even many movies have had the same impact on me as this did. It's a challenging story that only the gaming medium could've fully justified.

I'm glad Druckmann told the story that he wanted to tell instead of catering to fans. A bold decision that well and truly paid off as far as I'm concerned.

Agree it's a very challenging story and difficult to pull off . 

and i also agree that some fans did like the story . And i understand the reasons why they liked it .

I personally found the story fine.  And like others ( from what I read online) i also feel if both the arcs ran side by side instead of one after the other - things would have been much better . Also I feel the second story arc lacked a purpose and i just couldn't get invested in it. Although the gameplay was better in it . 

12 minutes ago, RV1709 said:

I loved the story.  Although given that the story builds up hate/ anger for the character you play as in the second half, it’s kinda difficult in the beginning to play as said character 

Yeah exactly . If both these arcs played side by side and if the character in the second half had a better purpose more people would have liked the story.  

6 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

Yeah exactly . If both these arcs played side by side and if the character in the second half had a better purpose more people would have liked the story.  

Spoiler

More people would've liked the story if Ellie beat the sh*t out of Abby and killed her in the final boss fight.  :P

But this is where the writers really shine, by asking the players if the hate you feel is justified even after going through with both POVs. 

Spoiler

I mean Abby literally spared Ellie twice . For Ellie to kill her in the end makes zero sense. No shining moment for the writing here. Was the Only logical conclusion 

I didn't feel any hate towards Abby . Her motives were justified and she only killed the one responsible and let others live . But Her story arc didn't have a meaning - the flashbacks apart from the very first were a waste.  The quests didn't have a meaning. I mean you spend over 2 hours to get medical supplies to save Yara only for her to die in next 10 minutes. Like Wtf . At least Ellie's arc had a purpose and built great tension. The scene with Nora in hospital was epic .

@Vamos respectfully disagree on the writers shining here. 

Edited by Krazyniks

By the end I absolutely fell in love with Abby and the way she takes care of the trans kid (forgot the name). Sort of parallels the story of Joel and Ellie from tlou. 

And that final scene with the guitar is a masterclass in itself. Games is the only medium where you can pull off such a scene. Amazing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Krazyniks said:

There are parts of the game (the one big death) that could have happened in a way that felt more impactful, and the epilogue is a little weak, but as a story, honestly, its the high point in the medium. Most games are just cutscenes pretending to be movies. The story of TLOU2 could only be told in a video game. The middle point was one of the most WTF moments I have had in games, when you realize who you are playing as (and what the game is trying to do) where I had to stop playing just so I could go for walk I was so shocked. No game has made me feel those feelings of disgust, shock, shame, horror and sadness at the things Elle and ____ (and you are doing with the controller). 

Definitely agree a story like  this could only be told through a gaming medium and it was a very courageous effort from ND . Also

I fully understand and respect opinions here of those who liked the story .

But again the thing is if almost half of your audience isn't invested in the story as you want/expect them to be then perhaps you didn't tell it in the right way . 

19 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

But again the thing is if almost half of your audience isn't invested in the story as you want/expect them to be then perhaps you didn't tell it in the right way . 

That's not really the right way to judge things. Not everything needs to be made for everyone.

1 minute ago, STICK3Rboy said:

That's not really the right way to judge things. Not everything needs to be made for everyone.

Yes you can make a normal game with specific story/message for a certain audience and then perhaps it won't be judged much .

But when you are making a blockbuster game for millions of fans ( Ones who made the first game so successful) and have spent a lot of resources on the game - financial as well as human - then it should and will be judged with a bigger microscope. 

31 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

Yes you can make a normal game with specific story/message for a certain audience and then perhaps it won't be judged much .

But when you are making a blockbuster game for millions of fans ( Ones who made the first game so successful) and have spent a lot of resources on the game - financial as well as human - then it should and will be judged with a bigger microscope. 

Reminds me of the MassEffect 3 RGB explosion ending fiasco and ArTiStiC InTeGriDy bullshit afterwards :rofl:

4 minutes ago, Krazyniks said:

What I meant was, 'percentage of people liking something' shouldn't be a criterion to judge if that something was done in the right way. 

My favourite movie of the last decade, Blade Runner 2049, was a big-budget box office bomb. Would I have wanted the movie to be altered so that it could appeal to a wider audience and in the process guarantee a sequel in the future? Heck no!

I'm just glad that we got the masterpiece that we did and in the way that it was intended to be. Same with TLOU2.