WhiteWolf

The Last of Us Part II

IVG is back! Missed this thread now more than others...

Completed the TV Station last night wow... all the sneaking, stealth and the way the game immerses you is riveting. I'm taking this game slow, cherishing it while it lasts. In this game going Prone and knifing enemies is good way out of sticky situations.

Btw, Has anyone tried the High Contrast option under the Accessibility Menu in the game? The way the entire game changes to a gray and the enemies and resources/ collectibles are highlighted is so neat! Nifty thing to have when your inside dimly lit areas or shadows hunting for supplies.

19 minutes ago, Aftrunner said:

I might be in the minority here but I am really enjoying 

Reveal hidden contents

playing as Abby in Seattle Round 2. Her story, setting and writing is a lot more engaging than Ellie's. Which isnt to say that Ellie's was bad but I think Abby's is better. I also love how much the game jumps back and forward in time to show you these vignettes of Ellie and Abby. Very Scorsese like, fantastic storytelling.  

(^^MID GAME MILD SPOILER)

I still feel like all ND games this one is a little too bloated. All of their games would work much better for me if they were around the 8 hour mark with a lot less filler combat. But again, I am pretty sure I am in the minority with that opinion too. 

Side note - I forget which idiot was laughing at Rishi's review mentioning this game has a lot of UC in it but stuff like that is why you should wait till you play the game and not just get salty at anyone who doesnt worship it with a 10/10. There IS a LOT of UC in this game's DNA. Much more so than LOU1, which felt nothing like UC. So many set pieces and puzzles would feel right at home in the UC series. The combat feels like a heavily pared back version of UC too.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/the-last-of-us-part-ii/the-last-of-us-part-ii-length/

17 minutes ago, Aftrunner said:

I might be in the minority here but I am really enjoying 

Reveal hidden contents

(^^MID GAME MILD SPOILER)

I still feel like all ND games this one is a little too bloated. All of their games would work much better for me if they were around the 8 hour mark with a lot less filler combat. But again, I am pretty sure I am in the minority with that opinion too. 

Side note - I forget which idiot was laughing at Rishi's review mentioning this game has a lot of UC in it but stuff like that is why you should wait till you play the game and not just get salty at anyone who doesnt worship it with a 10/10. There IS a LOT of UC in this game's DNA. Much more so than LOU1, which felt nothing like UC. So many set pieces and puzzles would feel right at home in the UC series. The combat feels like a heavily pared back version of UC too.

The thing about gameplay is that it very much depends upon difficulty. On hard and Survivor, the game very much feels like TLoU1. But if you lower it to light or very light, it straight up plays like UC4. That video had dude playing with auto aim turned on, which is only available in Light and Very Light. This is what I said back then..

On 6/14/2020 at 4:43 PM, CarbonCore said:

You can fine tune the difficulty sliders to get it to play like Uncharted (minus the whip). Set resource scarcity to minimum, damage taken minimum while damage dealt max, mark every enemy on the map and then go mad with your unbreakable melee weapon.

And it turned out to be true.

3 minutes ago, Spacescreamer said:

I have been reading bad reviews and impressions from people who have finished the game. 

Cheerleading the graphics and gore apart, it would be very helpful if people can drop some genuine word abt the game. 

Its a solid 8/10, but not a 10/10 imo. Also the first game was better pacing and story wise, again IMO.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spacescreamer said:

I have been reading bad reviews and impressions from people who have finished the game. 

Cheerleading the graphics and gore apart, it would be very helpful if people can drop some genuine word abt the game. 

I'm about 8 hours into the game and nowhere close to finishing it but one thing I can say is the main element that has gripped me is the entire stealth gameplay mechanism which is beautifully implemented in this game. You can of course be more aggressive and engage enemies using your weapons (don't know how well you would do from the resources point of view though if you choose to do so) but sneaking up to enemies and downing them has been a very gratifying experience. Exploration and traversing through the terrain does feel very captivating due to the lovely graphical details ND has put in. Plus the soundtrack is very soothing as well. When your surrounded by enemies in an area and the way the sound from those Clickers travels to you... it's an uncanny experience!

If there's one thing I don't like is sometimes in certain sequences the game sort of pushes you to combat and with the limited resources you get and it gets excruciatingly difficult to come out unscathed. Definitely took me a few tries in certain segments. But I guess that's how this game is, it challenges you and makes you sweat! Those segments can turn very intense, very quickly.

Story has been solid so far, nothing I won't complain about and there has been once shocking twist while practically left me shaking early on. But it's still early stages and I'm yet to see the entire narrative being played out. Taking it slow. Sorry can't be of much more help regarding the meat of the story here but I'm sure others here who have completed the game will be pitching in. Still, just keying in my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Spacescreamer said:

Im 20+ hours into the game and its one of the best games Ive played in some time. gfx are amazing, the gameplay is superb whether it be stealth or straight run in gun. The story is what 'some' people don't like. but most are alt right dirtbags. No Dev would have done what ND did with this story. Its a representation of the times we live in and more-so the current situation we are in where it wont take long before it all goes sideways.

Play the game and form your own opinion...and no, don't watch it on YouTube or lets play etc. It needs to be experienced

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2020 at 4:42 PM, PhantomShade said:

this is photo mode screenshot?

looks gorgeous.

Yeah, it's a photo mode screenshot. I've touched it up a bit on instagram though, which is why there's more clarity than what you get out of just the photo mode.

----------

A few more of those screenshots I took:

9UIblev.jpg

0JP6PY2.jpg

fuBDutc.jpg

KhUKENW.jpg

sBtKUKi.jpg

Lc1053Z.jpg

GWerV7V.jpg

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Black_Hawk said:

the main element that has gripped me is the entire stealth gameplay mechanism which is beautifully implemented in this game. 

Yep. This is one of the positives mentioned in the mediocre-bad reviews. What I could sense that the backbone from the TLOU 1 has gone missing which was the Story/narration. 

20 minutes ago, Snake said:

gfx are amazing, the gameplay is superb whether it be... 

The story is what 'some' people don't like. but most are alt right dirtbags. No Dev would have done what ND did with this story...

Play the game and form your own opinion...and no, don't watch it on YouTube or lets play etc. It needs to be experienced

I don't go into the game while forming a rigid opinion of the game as that ll be detrimental to my enjoyment. But I have always been very circumspect with the games. Never the one to pick up a game cuz others were going bonkers (played TLOU 7 months back only). Giving due attention to spoiler free impressions to gauge if the game is worth the time and the money. First instalment was v satisfying due to the narration and this time that very element seems to be missing, or has gone haywire. 

And ofc avoiding anything TLOU on youtube. Its algo is way too eager and anxious. 

1 hour ago, achilles said:

The first game made me want to get the CE for part two. And this was delivered yesterday. I am blown away. The quality, and the size of the packaging and statue is staggering. It is bad-a*s.

Neat captures mate, I got mine Day 1 and was surprised at the size of the Statue. please post in what you bought thread as well as some peeps might avoid this thread..

3 minutes ago, Spacescreamer said:

Yep. This is one of the positives mentioned in the mediocre-bad reviews. What I could sense that the backbone from the TLOU 1 has gone missing which was the Story/narration. 

It hasn't gone missing, it's just the theme here is a lot different. Tlou 1 is all about bonding between the 2 characters and this is a straight up revenge story so far (10 hrs). Let's see if it pays off by the end and the the new characters are as memorable as the ones in the first game. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hope said:

Completed the trailer section last night with that amazing stalker section. 

This is peak gaming.Never ever a game has blown me away like this in each and every aspect:majesty:

Every enemy in that section saw this

giphy.gif

Then later in another section you become

source.gif

20 minutes ago, Snake said:

Every enemy in that section saw this

giphy.gif

Then later in another section you become

source.gif

My personal experience, for first couple of guys

giphy.gif

For the rest of the level..

source.gif

I am genuinely liking this more than I liked LOU1. The story in LOU was better but this one has MUCH better storytelling. I dont know what direction the TV show LOU will go but I hope its this rather than LOU 1. It is actually impressive how it manages to juggle like 5 big characters and keep all of them interesting. Most video games cant manage one. The environmental story telling is absolutely sublime as well. Often I will go around checking every room near me not because I want loot but because I want to find more "letters" from people that died or moved on. Such excellent writing. 

Shame the gameplay is still very meh, better than the last one I guess but that is not saying much. Fighting the infected is still a snoozefest. Its not scary, its not intense, it just feels like a chore. Stalkers were a good idea but it needed way more variety and a few good boss fights. It has neither. The devs have to have known this too because I think that is why 2/3 of the combat is vs people (which is significantly more fun).

Also the upgrade skill tree is straight trash.

4 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

The thing about gameplay is that it very much depends upon difficulty. On hard and Survivor, the game very much feels like TLoU1. But if you lower it to light or very light, it straight up plays like UC4. That video had dude playing with auto aim turned on, which is only available in Light and Very Light. This is what I said back then..

And it turned out to be true.

Completely agree.

I really didn't enjoy UC4 gameplay that much. Enemies were bullet sponges and the level design was not that great. There were only 2-3 scenarios where they tried to create wide arenas but it didn't really work with the gameplay. Stealth was clunky and the moment you went loud you would enter the run and gun loop which is not that franchise's strength.

I really enjoyed TLOU1 gameplay on Survivor (which should've been the default) and on harder difficulties and the gameplay really worked with the wider level design and this game is that same experience but on steroids. I love love! how open the combat arenas are and how much freedom they give you. The combat is tense, full of consequences and a lot of fun. Add the resource management on top of it and it becomes so satisfying.

I've been playing on Hard and end up killing all enemies before checking for supplies and story notes. The loop I follow is -

- Prepare and craft stealth items (silencer and arrows)

- Start with stealth to whittle down enemy numbers. This includes molotovs and trap mines.

- Go loud with rifle/shotgun/revolver to finish off the remaining

- Scavenge for supplies before moving on

The level design allows for f**k ups if you get spotted. The prone and sliding through narrow gap mechanics really help with reentering stealth. 

But this also means that it takes a lot of time to progress through the game. Have played 20 hours or so and have only reached end of Seattle Day 2. But I'm loving it!

I understand ND wanting the game to be accessible, but they're doing a disservice to their gameplay by not recommending that people try the harder difficulties first. I felt the same way about TLOU1. If you're not liking the story and are playing on an easier difficulty, I can imagine that this game would be a chore to play.