GreedFall

pale-illusionist

OpenCritic: 75 as expected

Before anyone complains, just know this is AA title made by a studio of 20-30 people. Jank is expected along with bad voice acting. If you can't live with that, might as well skip it.

• GreedFall is a highly recommended title for all those who are fans of RPG titles and enjoys a remarkable artistic section, managing to create a world of dark fantasy set in the era of imperialism.
  • GreedFall is a welcome arrival in the fantasy RPG space, a space that has been bafflingly uncrowded of late. 
  • Fans of western role playing games who have lamented the absence of many true contenders in the genre this generation, prepare yourselves: a new heir to the legacy of BioWare is here at last.
  • Greedfall is enhanced by its believable game world, but has to accept significant drawbacks in terms of presentation.
  • While it's true that GreedFall has some serious problems with variety and bizarrely re-used assets, the story is great and the combat and game systems are quite good. Anyone willing to look past its problems and dig into the narrative will likely have a good time with it.
  • Finally Spiders show their great quality with Greedfall. A remarkable Action-RPG full of content, which will give hours of fun to the genre. With an even bigger budget I could have aimed higher.
  • While it starts shaky, Greedfall grows into a comforting and satisfying RPG. It may feel a bit behind the times, but the art design and original story should be given credit and it is good to see this developer releasing something that mostly delivers on its promise.
  • GreedFall's engaging story and deep customization will satisfy those looking for a BioWare-style, action RPG fix.
  • Greedfall is held back by performance issues and a tendency to fill its space with tedious padding, but it's saved by fun combat and an intriguing story.
  • Greedfall has an ambitious story, but it's not backed up by the clearly repeated environments, simple combat and dull abilities that take ages to unlock. Seasoned RPG players might well be able able to look past those flaws in favour of the interesting, well written stories about political manoeuvres and oppression that make up the bulk of the quests in this pretty dark, deep world.
  • In some ways, Greedfall has the makings of a classic. It has all of the pieces of the puzzle, but there's just not enough of them or perhaps the puzzle just isn't complex enough.
  • GreedFall certainly left me wanting more; while its story may be a bit shallow in places, it’s still got a lot of depth, a fluid, intuitive combat system and enough morally-grey missions to bring me back to Teer Fradee some time soon. Forget waiting for the next Dragon Age, GreedFall is an impressive debut for what could well become a classic series.
  • Like 1

So far from what I've played of the game.... I'm really liking it. There are multiple ways to complete quests and decisions to make as well. In fact, one of the first side quests I did, I had to make a decision that might have an impact later on. Though I'm only basing this off on the quest and don't know enough so I'm not sure yet. Environmentally, the graphics look good and music and voice work is amazing. Though there are some problems in that the character models are not great and there is no proper lip sync during cutscenes. But overall loving the game, story has a ton of potential so far as well. Game is able to run at 60 fps on 1440p with 1080 ti. Well worth the 1800 INR (Some US$ 25 appx.) I spent on Steam. 

• Like 1

If this is better than that cult classic dragon's dogma, i would be interested, people tried to hype it, i too liked it at first but got bored quickly with an empty world, this game seems to be like that with empty towns i hope it can justify such a empty world.

34 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

If this is better than that cult classic dragon's dogma, i would be interested, people tried to hype it, i too liked it at first but got bored quickly with an empty world, this game seems to be like that with empty towns i hope it can justify such a empty world.

Are you talking about Dragon's Dogma or Greedfall?

Also, it would be better if you don't compare Greedfall to Dragon's Dogma. Rather, best to compare it to Dragon's Age Origins, Mass Effect 2 and other early Bioware Games or even Witcher 1. DD is a very combat focused game with tons of options for gameplay and  completely open world but a poor questing system. That is not the case here. Here, the World is divided into "Hubs". Each hub represents a map with things you can do. For example, the very first place you are on is Serene, your hometown in the Old World. This town is the entire map. Here, you will have tons of side quests and story related quests (Both very good quality mind you, unlike the latest Bioware Games). You will finish your activities here and go on to the next place - where again you will have quests to do. Dialogue is good and story is intriguing. There are multiple ways to solve the quests, and many ways in which you can avoid combat altogether if you want. Only some quests require you to compulsarily fight. You can otherwise get through by negotiation, sneaking in to the required place, bribing someone or even disguising yourself as a part of the faction, depending on what the quest entails. The World is populated enough, but you will primarily be dealing with only the quest givers, wherever your quest takes you and/or merchants and blacksmiths. There is also a reputation system - both with the various factions (whom you can make friends or enemies of) and your party members (with whom you can actually talk, unlike DD, who will give you quests, you can form friendships with and/or romance or even disappoint them or make enemies of them - much like the Bioware games). Also unlike DD with it's pawns, here you cannot create or customize your companions, other than changing what they wear by giving them armor/equipment.

You can create and customize your main character (appearance, gender, starting skills etc.) only once at the beginning of the game. You cannot change your main character's appearance after the initial customization other than changing clothes or armor what he/she has equipped. 

As far as combat is concerned - you can go either full melee, trap + firearm or magic builds or even create a hybrid builds. Equipping equipment also requires investing in certain stats which you only get a couple of levels. For example, equipping armors requires endurance, magic rings requires willpower etc. This is the attribute tree which is different from the tree where you get skills (such as increasing sword damage, getting new techniques etc. - for which you get points to invest on every level). You also have a separate 3rd tree where you can invest to get skills in crafting, lockpicking, charisma to influence dialogues etc.

Also as I said previously, graphics in environments are good, but character models are bad and lip syncing in cut-scenes is bad. Another negative I'd like to add is that there are re-used assets (For example, the embassy of 2 different factions look absolutely identical, just with different NPCs and ambassadors inside), there are still some minor bugs (Like during one cutscene where the NPC I was talking to kept his eyes closed during the entire conversation for some reason - this only happened once for me) and there are spelling errors and typos in the subtitles during cutscenes.

AFAIK there are no mini-games or side activities (Unlike Yakuza), and the main game only has main quests, side quests, random fights and an arena under the tavern. That's all the side activities I've encountered till now.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by roun90
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:
  • Greedfall and A Plague Tale Innocence both are comericial successes
  • Greedfall particularly is noted as having a "stunning start"
  • Revenue for the company is up over 80% compared to last year

Well deserved, both games are really good. No mtx, no dlc, no pay2win or any bullcrap.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

What exactly is the Jank in this game? Have heard a lot of people say this.

It's not typical AAA type game. Falls into AA - mid range budget game. You won't find smooth combat or polished stuff. The voice/facial animation aren't top tier.