Bicycle suggestion for newbie

l33tmaniac

Thanks man :) I just want to get into the habit. Heard its a pretty good stress buster too. Also, 20k is supposedly the entry level for decent gear bikes. You'll be surprised when you learn about how expensive these things can get :|

20k :surprise:

The first (and last) cycle I bought cost 1950 Rs. 20k ke cycle me kya kya milta hai?

Don't even get me started here. Just took the training wheels of my wife's bike because she refused to sit after trying to learn for a week.

I started riding last week early morning and I realised how out of shape I really am. By the time I completed the first ascend I was ready to head back home. Mind you this was the same ascend that I probably did about 3-4 times a day way back when. But I enjoyed the next few days anyway. Might get back into it if I keep this up.

Walker, what cycle do you have?

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up buying this a few days ago. The 2017 model :) It was available in store even before the site was updated! In case the text isnt clear, it is Montra Blues 1.1 with rigid fork

Whats_App_Image_2017_05_03_at_11_27_27.j

Edited by l33tmaniac

• 2 years later...

So it's been a good year with the Mach City iBike, non geared, hardtail. I'm looking to upgrade to a geared bike, preferable one with dual shocks. I went to track and trail and there's a plethora of options between Montra and Schnell. Suggestions? 

I toyed with the option of adding gears because it doesn't seem hard, but I'm worried it won't be as good as a factory designed and fitted product. Also will need to bend the rear forks to accomodate the cassette.

Budget upto 25k is fine +/- 3k.

Edited by Walker

Are there any cycling routes, or like trails specific to cyclists in your city? I ride a BTwin Riverside, and cycle about 10-12 kms everyday within my colony, or sometimes on actual roads in the off hours. 

I take plenty of road trips in my family, and I was thinking if I had a foldable cycle I could fit it in the trunk and explore by cycle when we go on trips sometimes....

Where I live it's a mixture of uphill and downhill gradients, no specific routes or cycle trails. I normally cover about 15k-20k on my morning rides. I start about 5:30am so there's never any traffic and I have the entire road to myself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would be looking to buy a cycle near the end of this year.

Just need to wear out four tyres, had decided it was the last time I was getting the two cycles with new tyres  

one is a hero Ranger from 1998.

and another is a hero Hawk from 2009.

10k budget would give a good upgrade, if not 15k could be a possibility.

Need for long distances (like 125 kms up-down to start with) :

thin tyres or thick ?? 

Rightnow prefer hawk a lot more - or hawk still is on par ?  (I have never tried out the latest or imported cycles)

Edited by GunnerY2J

1 hour ago, Ram Dante said:

I am looking to buy a basic one as well. For everyday fitness rides on roads (30-60mins). The basic cheap ones would do (3-4k range). Provide some suggestions please.

Hawk is the best (4.5-5k - not sure)

(For speed and definitely the easiest on the legs (in this range) as body weight is pushed forward, the cycle is light and the posture works the core as well - not any maintenance either)

But if you prefer thick tyres and straight posture and shock ups and stuff then keep looking but hawk would be the most cost efficient for future as well if you want to increase the distance.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 1:52 PM, GunnerY2J said:

Hawk is the best (4.5-5k - not sure)

(For speed and definitely the easiest on the legs (in this range) as body weight is pushed forward, the cycle is light and the posture works the core as well - not any maintenance either)

But if you prefer thick tyres and straight posture and shock ups and stuff then keep looking but hawk would be the most cost efficient for future as well if you want to increase the distance.

Thank you, I'll check. Btw, is it Hero Hawk?

26 minutes ago, Ram Dante said:

Thank you, I'll check. Btw, is it Hero Hawk?

Yes,hero hawk.

Mach one from bsa is another option in this type.

But mach one has been more expensive than hawk.

Just ensure you are comfortable with the posture, you should be and definitely is very comfortable if you are 5.8 or more.

Friends will normal cycles didn't want to try hawk because of its posture (feels different) but they very soon realised that it helps you a lot. 

And hawk is not suitable for bumpy paths.

Edited by GunnerY2J

Hawk is a great cheap option especially for smooth roads. Fast, easy and like @GunnerY2J said easy to maintain. I had one long ago. 

Anyway came here because my fork broke, don't know how but it seems like it was already cracked and the stress eventually just magnified and it broke. So now I have to either buy a new bike or change the fork altogether which I'm not keen on. :(

38 minutes ago, Walker said:

Hawk is a great cheap option especially for smooth roads. Fast, easy and like @GunnerY2J said easy to maintain. I had one long ago. 

Anyway came here because my fork broke, don't know how but it seems like it was already cracked and the stress eventually just magnified and it broke. So now I have to either buy a new bike or change the fork altogether which I'm not keen on. :(

Since you have used a hawk 

How much of an upgrade are the latest 12-15000 rs cycles to the hawk when it comes to long distance ?

Edited by GunnerY2J

Really depends on what you're looking for. I currently do a lot of off-road so theres not really a comparison. The Mach City I was using now is heavier than what I remember the hawk or the older rangers from '96 were. 

The ones around 15k are light with marginally wider tyres than the hawk. Look for a city hybrid so you can get the best of both. 

19 minutes ago, Walker said:

Really depends on what you're looking for. I currently do a lot of off-road so theres not really a comparison. The Mach City I was using now is heavier than what I remember the hawk or the older rangers from '96 were. 

The ones around 15k are light with marginally wider tyres than the hawk. Look for a city hybrid so you can get the best of both. 

I am looking to do 150 kms in a go. (Mostly highway - but roads do get bumpy anytime for a good stretch)

Can do 100 now with hawk, legs are not bad but back gets real tired and done towards the end.

Yes I saw one at 10k in shop ,felt similar to the hawk but smaller and lighter and wider tyres.

I felt like if I am going to buy why not extend it to 15k to make it more worth (if they really are)

Edited by GunnerY2J

• 2 weeks later...

150km bicycle trip? Thats gotta be fun (but exhausting)

I currently cycle 15-20kms at a stretch, and that too on roads with minimal traffic. 

I use the Riverside 100 from BTwin, bought it from a Decathlon store halfway into 2019.

Any idea if I get a free cleanup or maintenance or something? 

The store is like on the 3rd floor of a mall, so idk if I should be dragging around a bicycle (or heck, riding it in a mall)

On 1/5/2020 at 9:55 PM, Walker said:

Where I live it's a mixture of uphill and downhill gradients, no specific routes or cycle trails. I normally cover about 15k-20k on my morning rides. I start about 5:30am so there's never any traffic and I have the entire road to myself.

You live in Goa? Well thats fantastic. Plus it would be pretty cycle friendly as well, having done it myself once. 

Of course, you enjoy the amazing air and the views the entire time

• Like 1