Bicycle suggestion for newbie

l33tmaniac

Looking at this.
Preferring road bike as want to do long distance, how is the maintenance ?
(Or is hybrid the best of both worlds ?)

Seems out of budget but only just which can be managed if worth it.

no btwin store in my city though.1b2e4f2cf8e0b28519678806f3e1ee19.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Edited by GunnerY2J

• 3 months later...

Suggestions for a good hybrid bike? Gave up cycling a year or so back and want to get back into it. 

Want to pick one up for me and one for wifey. Entry level with combined budget of around 50k tops

14 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:

Suggestions for a good hybrid bike? Gave up cycling a year or so back and want to get back into it. 

Want to pick one up for me and one for wifey. Entry level with combined budget of around 50k tops

I'd honestly say go to a BTwin/Decathlon store and check it out. The one near me has a couple hundred bikes, and they have GPS tags on them so you can take them outside, and not just ride them inside the store.

I don't own a hybrid myself, I use a regular bike. I don't even do long distance, just 40 minutes or so every day.

PS Been regularly cycling for about 4 months now, and my legs feel way better. Muscle replaces fat, although nothing too extreme. I just enjoy it, its not about fitness but its an added plus.

3 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

I'd honestly say go to a BTwin/Decathlon store and check it out. The one near me has a couple hundred bikes, and they have GPS tags on them so you can take them outside, and not just ride them inside the store.

I don't own a hybrid myself, I use a regular bike. I don't even do long distance, just 40 minutes or so every day.

PS Been regularly cycling for about 4 months now, and my legs feel way better. Muscle replaces fat, although nothing too extreme. I just enjoy it, its not about fitness but its an added plus.

BTwin is decent. I used to own a Montra Blues earlier and wanted suggestions on whether there is something better in the same price range. If not, will settle for the Montra itself. Was pretty good and heard the newer models are the same if not slightly better

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 5:05 PM, l33tmaniac said:

BTwin is decent. I used to own a Montra Blues earlier and wanted suggestions on whether there is something better in the same price range. If not, will settle for the Montra itself. Was pretty good and heard the newer models are the same if not slightly better

How is Montara ?

Just tried a Japanese 60 k road bike, very fast but didn't find it very comfortable compared to hybrid. ( Was Never going to buy of this range)

I use a hero hawk currently so was under the assumption road bike would be the best for me and also need for long distances.

Someone else also suggested Montara.

Edited by GunnerY2J

8 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

How is Montara ?

Just tried a Japanese 60 k road bike, very fast but didn't find it very comfortable compared to hybrid. ( Was Never going to buy of this range)

I use a hero hawk currently so was under the assumption road bike would be the best for me and also need for long distances.

Someone else also suggested Montara.

I am no pro at this, but will share what I know. I've always been using a Hybrid, so can't comment on how road bikes fare in the long run. I've always preferred hybrids mainly cos we don't have perfect roads in India. I use it mostly on tarmacked roads and go off the road to avoid traffic when I cycle outside the city. 

Btw, it's Montra. Not "Montara". It's a pretty decent Indian brand man. If you are within the 18-30k range, it's better to look at Montra, Firefox and probably BTWin too. If  you want to spend more, you can look at the ones from Schwinn, Ridley, Bergamont. 

I ended up getting  Scholl Hybrid HB 9.1. Scholl's not that popular in India and it's got a very limited range. But I tried it and liked it. Had a lot of difficulty sourcing a Montra so went ahead with this. It's as good if not better than the Montra Blues 2.1 that I had.

Edited by l33tmaniac

So the lockdown happened and I never got around to getting a new bike. The only store that's close by is bang center of the new hotspot here. Not sure if I want to risk it but it's tempting :(

1 hour ago, l33tmaniac said:

I am no pro at this, but will share what I know. I've always been using a Hybrid, so can't comment on how road bikes fare in the long run. I've always preferred hybrids mainly cos we don't have perfect roads in India. I use it mostly on tarmacked roads and go off the road to avoid traffic when I cycle outside the city. 

Btw, it's Montra. Not "Montara". It's a pretty decent Indian brand man. If you are within the 18-30k range, it's better to look at Montra, Firefox and probably BTWin too. If  you want to spend more, you can look at the ones from Schwinn, Ridley, Bergamont. 

I ended up getting  Scholl Hybrid HB 9.1. Scholl's not that popular in India and it's got a very limited range. But I tried it and liked it. Had a lot of difficulty sourcing a Montra so went ahead with this. It's as good if not better than the Montra Blues 2.1 that I had.

What did you do with your previous montra

23 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

Sold it off a couple if years back

For ? 

Taking an idea if I find a good used cycle.

Still haven't sold our 23 year old ranger and 11 year old hawk although father  wants me to sell one of these before buying a new one, but won't.

12 hours ago, Walker said:

So the lockdown happened and I never got around to getting a new bike. The only store that's close by is bang center of the new hotspot here. Not sure if I want to risk it but it's tempting :(

Probably not the best idea. Are you gonna be cycling much in these times anyway?

I've stopped cycling entirely. I had started to cycle only within my society premises around 2 months back, but we got 3 COVID cases within the society itself so decided to stop.

Its been about 10 days now, so will start going again in a few days hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anybody bought off the Decathlon online store before?

Basically my current BTwin's bike tyre has gone completely bald, and then something blew yesterday, and its flat now.

Local cycle repair shop does not have the tyre for it.

Considering buying it off the Decathlon website, then take it to the repair shop and they'll fix it.

As per Amazon, my cycle uses 700x42 tyres, and that costs 800 on Decathlon's website.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...