Final Fantasy VII: Remake

IshmaelIsBack

4 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

You can try the demo on psn

Also none of the Final Fantasies are linked. Each one is independent. And FF7 is the best one in the series.

That's actually very re-assuring to hear that they are all independent games. I'll give it a shot.

One thing more though, can you shed more light on how the combat mechanism works in this game? Is it by any chance turn-based because I'm not into turn based combat games.

2 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

That's actually very re-assuring to hear that they are all independent games. I'll give it a shot.

One thing more though, can you shed more light on how the combat mechanism works in this game? Is it by any chance turn-based because I'm not into turn based combat games.

No its not turn based. Its real time. You should try the free demo on PSN.

6 hours ago, Black_Hawk said:

Its a hybrid of turn based and real time. You could play it completely real time without using turn based tactics, but it'll be as boring as FFXV. Actually more boring since FFXV real time combat is more complex and intricate, because that's all it has. VII's biggest strength is the mix of both types and the way they pulled it off is incredible.

I need some tips and tricks for the combat. Though it seems easy i feel it is quite strategic. 

I got my a*s handed over to the first boss 'The Scorpion Sentinel' this dude has about 3 phases. He's a freaking first boss, take it easy man. :ranting:

2 hours ago, Heaven Angel said:

I need some tips and tricks for the combat. Though it seems easy i feel it is quite strategic. 

I got my a*s handed over to the first boss 'The Scorpion Sentinel' this dude has about 3 phases. He's a freaking first boss, take it easy man. :ranting:

Use ATB wisely, and switch between Barret and Cloud. 

Heal in a timely manner.

The boss fight is definitely chaotic but manageable.

4 hours ago, playstationdude said:

Use ATB wisely, and switch between Barret and Cloud. 

Heal in a timely manner.

The boss fight is definitely chaotic but manageable.

I had 22 heal potions and 5 resurrection potions. But after the boss fight i had only 2 health and 1 resurrection potions left. I felt I was doing something wrong, I wasn't supposed to be using this much. By the end of the level 1 I have nothing left. I'm on level 2 right now.

One thing i learned is that I don't have to button mash the attack button, i have to use the attack mainly for increasing ATB. The normal attack does almost no damage. 

Need to learn more about special attacks, defense, usage of ATB and other things.

4 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

I had 22 heal potions and 5 resurrection potions. But after the boss fight i had only 2 health and 1 resurrection potions left. I felt I was doing something wrong, I wasn't supposed to be using this much. By the end of the level 1 I have nothing left. I'm on level 2 right now.

One thing i learned is that I don't have to button mash the attack button, i have to use the attack mainly for increasing ATB. The normal attack does almost no damage. 

Need to learn more about special attacks, defense, usage of ATB and other things.

Strange, I used 6-7 potions. are you using Barrett's  healing spell?

And yes, use attack mainly to charge ATB. 

Also the thing is, you cant rely only on cloud. With enemies that attack long range or when you have low health, try to take cover and using long range attacks like Barrett's. 

Edited by playstationdude

14 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Strange, I used 6-7 potions. are you using Barrett's  healing spell?

Okay, I'm way bad in this. Barrett have a healing spell. sh*t. 

15 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Also the thing is, you cant rely only on cloud. With enemies that attack long range or when you have low health, try to take cover and using long range attacks like Barrett's. 

Yes I read that you need to keep changing characters. Game said cloud is your main character, others are just supporting. 

I really need a practice arena for this. I somehow feel like this combat is equivalent to Dragon Age Inquisition. 

16 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

Okay, I'm way bad in this. Barrett have a healing spell. sh*t. 

Yes I read that you need to keep changing characters. Game said cloud is your main character, others are just supporting. 

I really need a practice arena for this. I somehow feel like this combat is equivalent to Dragon Age Inquisition. 

Dont worry, once you get the hang of dodging attacking and using atb, it will become very intuitive.

Last 3 chapters were good. High quality cut-scenes; almost a movie. 

Overall a good game. Definitely not GOTY for me nor really would have missed anything by not playing. Maybe too much expectation with all 9 and 10s but did get bored at times. Didn't like sides much either and bunch of stuff could have easily just removed. Not really a fan of sponge enemies. It just got tedious. After chapter 14, changed to easy just to finish it off. Visually very good but day time and certain parts of the game looked rough. OST is amazing as usual. 

Appreciate the effort went in but personally would have just preferred 7-10 hour part 1 game for $30 or a complete game than having to buy all 3 parts spread over years. Wonder if part 2 and 3 will even come to PS4 if it takes 3-7 years to finish it off. 

Oh man, I got some hang on to the combat, this is the best combat system Final Fantasy has ever put out. 

Just completed chapter 2 and got some materia, experimenting new combat techniques like if you swap from operator to punisher with triangle at the right time when you're attacked, you also parry. That's cool. 

Came across to some setting tips which helped me. 

1- set the combo settings to free: Changing it to "free" allows you to change targets during the combo using the left stick. This allows you to more easily attack a group of enemies.

2- set battle camera distance to 3: this solves most problems with the camera allowing you to see the attack text from the enemies and boss before the attack animations begin.

3- change target Lock change to directional buttons: this allows to rotate the camera when Lock on ,without Changing the target

Mana is quite important, for healing and spells purposes. At first I had this fire spell and I saw this does almost no damage to the boss so didn't bothered but afterwards I tried on smaller enemies and mini bosses, I was like eyheyh! it's highly effective. 

38 minutes ago, Heaven Angel said:

Oh man, I got some hang on to the combat, this is the best combat system Final Fantasy has ever put out. 

Just completed chapter 2 and got some materia, experimenting new combat techniques like if you swap from operator to punisher with triangle at the right time when you're attacked, you also parry. That's cool. 

Mana is quite important, for healing and spells purposes. At first I had this fire spell and I saw this does almost no damage to the boss so didn't bothered but afterwards I tried on smaller enemies and mini bosses, I was like eyheyh! it's highly effective. 

I mostly conserved MP for healing , but once the materia levels up, sh*t does some serious damage. 

Pro tip: Equip the deadly dodge materia

Totally worth the slot.

2 hours ago, playstationdude said:

I mostly conserved MP for healing , but once the materia levels up, sh*t does some serious damage. 

Pro tip: Equip the deadly dodge materia

Totally worth the slot.

Okay, I have that materia. I use to defend more than dodge so I didn't bothered. But i just saw that it does an AoE attack right after the dodge and not a normal attack, I'll equip and try it out on my next run. 

20 hours ago, Heaven Angel said:

Glad you're getting a hold of the combat. The combat has huge depth. Let me help you with some tips so you can enjoy the combat to the fullest.

1) Keep switching your character. The entire game is balanced around that. The first boss when you fought, if he is going to do a major attack on cloud then switch to Barrett. Party ai will always block then attack and you get an opening with Barret.

2) on punisher mode , whenever cloud block , he will always parry do use it , you don't need to time a button

3) once you start getting matirea use it well. Reach out to me once you finish first 4 chapter will explain in depth

4) learn triple slash ability as soon as you get the iron blade weapon , ( learning ability is a must) as you can unlock it with any weapon

5) master staggering 

Create pressure with punisher attacks -> use focussed thrust (cloud) or focused shot (Barret) to increase stagger 

There are certain abilities which increases stagger and certain abilities like braver which does damage.

20 hours ago, Heaven Angel said:

Assess is your friend. My first ATB bar always went for this whenever fighting any new enemy. I loved the game's combat. You've to keep switching between characters during the combat and try different ways for different enemies. Didn't get bored at all throughout the game.

4 hours ago, 'Pranay said:

Glad you're getting a hold of the combat. The combat has huge depth. Let me help you with some tips so you can enjoy the combat to the fullest.

1) Keep switching your character. The entire game is balanced around that. The first boss when you fought, if he is going to do a major attack on cloud then switch to Barrett. Party ai will always block then attack and you get an opening with Barret.

2) on punisher mode , whenever cloud block , he will always parry do use it , you don't need to time a button

3) once you start getting matirea use it well. Reach out to me once you finish first 4 chapter will explain in depth

4) learn triple slash ability as soon as you get the iron blade weapon , ( learning ability is a must) as you can unlock it with any weapon

5) master staggering 

Create pressure with punisher attacks -> use focussed thrust (cloud) or focused shot (Barret) to increase stagger 

There are certain abilities which increases stagger and certain abilities like braver which does damage.

Those are useful tips, thanks!  

Yes, the combat has depth, it requires planning and slowed down strategic decisions whilst also being a fast paced hack and slash chaotic mess.

The combat certainly reminds me of Dragon Age Inquisition. It had somewhat similar combat system. That game was to my liking and I ended up having platinum. I wish new dragon age will be built on similar combat system.

Completed level 2, playing with only single character helped me understand the basic combat. 

I accidentally disabled minimap until i figured out how to turn it back on. These small things the game dosen't tell you :lol:

5 hours ago, Shantz said:

Assess is your friend. My first ATB bar always went for this whenever fighting any new enemy. I loved the game's combat. You've to keep switching between characters during the combat and try different ways for different enemies. Didn't get bored at all throughout the game.

Assess? I think I've not progressed enough to understand that, yet. 

Oh, yes switching characters is great, I'm quite impressed how flawless it works. 

Oh you haven't came to the best part yet :)

The real gameplay start from chapter 3, when entire gameplay is around matirea 

Wait till the matirea open up in chapter 3.

access matirea you'll get in chapter 3 which tell the weakness of enemies.

Also I read your previous post where fire didn't help much against the boss, cloud actually says during the boss fight, that the boss is weak to lighting

Anyways once you get the access matirea your life will be sorted