Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Engineer

28 minutes ago, stingray said:

The Roswell level is really something quite different then any other level that was there in TNO or Old Blood. Also, good amount of lighting and texture richness. Hope now there is no texture loading issue (at least on PC), which was there in Doom with same engine

Which level in Doom was it?

It will still be present although reduced frequency. 

One noob question then - why isn't it visible (texture loading) when they invite people for playing on various platforms? I couldn't see any texture loading in the videos posted here or anywhere. Further, strange that this problem exists in every game since Rage (idtech 5) if I remember correctly, and still no resolution.[emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was present in almost all levels, with big outdoor levels like mission 2(on Martian surface), few indoor levels (Lazarus labs, vega level) if I remember correctly. The issue was such that even when weapons were swapped, I could see texture loading in 1 - 2 seconds on the weapon. FYI... was playing on laptop, thx 860m 4gb vram on medium - high details (vulkan). Searched on multiple forums online and got to know that this was a problem in some way megatextures are handled in any id tech engine post idtech 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@stingray That's a common problem with the megatexture rendering feature in id Tech 5 on weaker hardware. Otherwise, id Tech is a proper game engine. Within the game, at the very beginning of your gameplay session, weapons should load texture only once. Immediately at the start of my gameplay session i make sure i cycle through all of the weapons. But i can't guarantee if this will work on your laptop. Same goes for the loading of the level textures. I very very rarely notice texture streaming issues when playing Doom on my setup. Sometimes ONLY at the very beginning of my gameplay session right after the level loads.

Edited by pixeljunkie

36 minutes ago, pixeljunkie said:

The entire game had it, much-reduced though compared to ID Tech 5. 

34 minutes ago, stingray said:

One noob question then - why isn't it visible (texture loading) when they invite people for playing on various platforms? I couldn't see any texture loading in the videos posted here or anywhere. Further, strange that this problem exists in every game since Rage (idtech 5) if I remember correctly, and still no resolution.emoji52.png

Pixel has answered your question, it is one of the drawbacks of implementing megatextures. 

• 2 weeks later...